Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shim for cycling shoe
Quote | Reply
I just found out that I have one leg that's shorter than the other and need to put a shim under my cycling shoe... between the cleat and the shoe bottom.

Is there an actual product for this, or a fix that anyone's used?

Thanks!

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Re: Shim for cycling shoe [140pt6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lemond "Le Wedges". They can be placed under the shoe to accomplish a slight lift. They are designed to cant the foot outward...supposedly a more biomechanical way of pedaling, but when stacked by alternating the wedges so they fit together flat you can place these under your shoes to lift.

http://www.lemondfitness.com/...ge/installation.html
Last edited by: cochise: Aug 2, 06 7:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have same issue - right leg is 3-5mm shorter. Bought a pair of Specialized BG Pro Carbon Road Shoes, because they fit my somewhat wide foot, but they also come with the Body Geometry varus wedge system. The three small toes on my right foot would get numb - I think because of the leg length discrepancy, so I added a wedge that increased the height of the outside of my right foot. Problem solved.

Before using this wedge, I was constantly adjusting my saddle height to find the "sweet spot" to accommodate both legs. This wedge really helped.
Quote Reply
Re: Shim for cycling shoe [rat23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Note - the Specialized wedge goes inside the shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy Pruitt's book; Complete Medical Guide for Cyclists suggest shims for 5mm or longer discprepancy. He also suggests realignment of the cleat etc... Might be worth picking up the book.
Quote Reply
Re: Shim for cycling shoe [rat23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have the same shoes, and am thinking i have the same prob, how do you go about finding leg length issues? Dr? bike fitter?

Quote Reply
Re: Shim for cycling shoe [newbz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My chiropractor measured it via an x-ray at 3mm. Months later my bike fitter measured it at 7mm with a tape measure. The length discrepancy tends to vary with the state of the muscles on any given day, but these are small numbers as far as discreps go and many people would not correct something so small - I'm just a bear for detail. I've read another way to detect a discrep is to look for changes in knee position during pedal strokes.

The corrective wedge I use is -3mm on the right foot. I paid $50 to have a kid at the LBS insert the wedge, but he got it all wrong and I worked it alone by trial and error.
Quote Reply
Re: Shim for cycling shoe [newbz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's been one of my main critiques of this process- the skills required for measuring. I would go to a Chiro over a bike fitter, and perhaps a physical therapist, and Orthopod.
Quote Reply