Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shift work, family and training ??
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to see what people do who work shift type work (day, swing, or nights) and manage to juggle all the duties needed for family and sleep and training?

Just a little background...I work nights and I am able to make it home to take the kids to school (7:30ish) and then up to pick them up in the afternoon (2:30 ish). Then there is the after school activities (soccer, basketball, homework, etc.....). then back to work (9:00) . With sleep usually after dropping them off.

then weekends get some of the longer sessions in when i am not exhausted.

Just wondering what others are doing and looking for some guidance.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Shift work, family and training ?? [nechris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you're getting 5 to 6 hours of sleep a day and are trying to train for triathlon too?

That's not going to last long.

Take care of the kids then swim, bike and run when you are able.

When I worked midnights I didn't have time for anything other than some family time. There was no way I'd have time for triathlon as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also work shift work with limited time to fit in training. The best I’ve found is to try to minimize wasted time. I bike and run indoors for the shorter sessions to eliminate the drive or prep time. I swim when I’m driving home from work and already driving past the pool any way. I meal prep on a day off so I don’t have to spend time cooking on my work days. I also do all of my kit maintenance and cleaning on a day off so it’s ready for the week when I’ll have less time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I work a 7 day rotating shift, 7-3, 3-11, 11-7. 7 days on 1 day off, 7 days on 2 days off, 7 days on 4 days off. Work days are a mix of 9 - 12 hrs. It was a killer training for an Ironman but I was fortunate thatmy kids were all grown and also my wife loves to run and train with me. I go by the adage, If it is important to you, you will find a way to make it happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Shift work, family and training ?? [choppadude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand how your schedule works. Can you spell it out for me?
Quote Reply
Re: Shift work, family and training ?? [choppadude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
choppadude wrote:
I work a 7 day rotating shift, 7-3, 3-11, 11-7. 7 days on 1 day off, 7 days on 2 days off, 7 days on 4 days off. Work days are a mix of 9 - 12 hrs. It was a killer training for an Ironman but I was fortunate thatmy kids were all grown and also my wife loves to run and train with me. I go by the adage, If it is important to you, you will find a way to make it happen.
what the hell do you do for a living?? thats a crazy schedule.

i am blessed and cursed by my schedule. i work away from home for two weeks in a remote location, then im home for two weeks not working. factor in vacation time and work related school, i work less than half the year.

when im home i have plenty of time to train (within reason) and when im at work i work 12 hour shifts. i just have to always brick my workouts even if im not suppose to... there is no way im going to wake up early to get a workout in and then get a workout in right before i go to sleep.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nechris wrote:
Just wanted to see what people do who work shift type work (day, swing, or nights) and manage to juggle all the duties needed for family and sleep and training?

Just a little background...I work nights and I am able to make it home to take the kids to school (7:30ish) and then up to pick them up in the afternoon (2:30 ish). Then there is the after school activities (soccer, basketball, homework, etc.....). then back to work (9:00) . With sleep usually after dropping them off.

then weekends get some of the longer sessions in when i am not exhausted.

Just wondering what others are doing and looking for some guidance.

Thanks

I work shifts since many years ago all year round. It is 5-3, always starting with a morning shift (M), the afternoon (A), and ending with the night shift (N). Then 3 days off (F). It could be MMAANFFF, MAANNFFF, MMANNFFF, or any similar type of combinations.
Days with M: Train before the shifts starts at 0730, so by 5am out of bed. Then try to squeeze another session during the afternoon while kids are at after-school activities or with homework. No extra driving allowed, so it has to be done in the same are/place where the kids are or at home.
Days with A: Train before the kids go to school, and more training while they are at school. Then go to work.
Days with N: Same as days with A, but a long nap is very real after lunch until kids are back from school. Then afternoon with family and kids.
Days after N: Go training right away (coffee is your friend), do not stop at home until you are done. Then eat/sleep until kids are back from school. Family time during the rest of the day.
Free days: Same as days with N.

Hint: No Netflix, no TV. Go to bed no later than 2100, as soon as you can, or when wife & kids go to bed.

It also helps that my wife wakes up really early to do her gym routine before work.

:)

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of the things I used to do:
Run circles in the poorly lit parking lot at 2:30 am (for thirty minutes)followed by a paper towel wipe down.
Combine workouts: run or bike to the pool, run from the pool. Train solo. Commute to work. (I was alot braver then). Most biking/swimming was hardish. Get the most bang for your buck from running IMHO.
Last edited by: mdtrihard: Feb 1, 20 3:53
Quote Reply
Re: Shift work, family and training ?? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am on a day to day roster spread over 3 shifts 7 days a week . Roster comes out at 4pm for the next day telling me if I am on days Arvos or nights or day off so planned training in an unplanned life makes it hard sometimes . Add in my wife who works nights shift two nights on two nights off

Sometimes I’m able to get my sessions done properly other times I have to switch days to fit them in . Its a 60km round trip so I try to get my bike sessions if I am rostered on Arvos or nights . Day shift starts at 6am so I have to be up at 430 so no training before work ever . I’m not a morning person lol

My son is 2yrs old so my running pram is one of the best investments I have made , kickr also being important . I have done 22km runs with him and when he sees I am starting to slow down he starts yelling GO GO GO lol 😂.

Swimming is hardest to get done from adding an extra 30-40mins of travel time and changing as well as it holds the lowest motivation for me as well lol
Quote Reply