Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shaving Legs??
Quote | Reply
What is the best way to shave your legs....razor's, waxing, etc.? How much longer does waxing last vs. shaving?

Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks
Quote Reply
advice from a slightly less hairy gopher [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gophers shave their legs, waxing's painful.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Legs?? [Orcaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...after a winter of growth I take a set of clipers (electric hair trimmers) and get it cut down real short.

Then I do the actual shaving in the shower...clean the legs real good and get the hair soft and then take a liberal amount of shaving cream and my Mach3 blade to the legs and go very, carefully the first time. Nothing beats a Mach3...seriously.

After a few times doing it - it gets done really fast - but be careful the first few times. Just my experience.

Never thought I'd be posting about shaving my legs on the internet...
Quote Reply
Prehaps it is all hype or mind over matter [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but the mach 3 or excel is I would think designed with a mans face in mind, I'm sure that Gillete do take this fairly seriously, like wise the Venus is designed for the legs and for women as they might be more familiar with this so when I used a blade I used a Exel???? on the face and venus on the legs but have since gone to the philishave James Bond razor with Nivea lotion dispenser built in all around, no cuts and takes less than 10 mins total now I cant use a blade.......................
Quote Reply
Prehaps it is all hype or mind over matter [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but the mach 3 or excel is I would think designed with a mans face in mind, I'm sure that Gillete do take this fairly seriously, like wise the Venus is designed for the legs and for women as they might be more familiar with this so when I used a blade I used a Exel???? on the face and venus on the legs but have since gone to the philishave James Bond razor with Nivea lotion dispenser built in all around, no cuts and takes less than 10 mins total now I cant use a blade.......................
Quote Reply
Re: Prehaps it is all hype or mind over matter [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wax, not painful, really. 45min and your done. A little ouch and thats it. Not much of a time saver probably but the warm wax feels sooo good. It was just over 16 days ago and I am now starting to get some hair growth. Not prickly like shaving either. In another 2-3 weeks I'll get waxed again. No big deal. As a side benefit the longer you wax the less total hair growth. I actually have places on my lower legs where there is NO hair growth anymore. Either way chicks dig smooth legs, I've found out.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Legs?? [Orcaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duck tape, epoxy resin and a bullet (to bite on).

Put the bunny back in the box.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Legs?? [madisonbucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use my gas hedge trimmer it's faster an more manly. And the girls love the smell of oil on the body. And I get that motor thing at the same time.
thanks Dirtball

It's a biopace world out there!

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply
Mach 3 and a bottle of conditioner [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I shave in the shower, and picked up the tip (here, if I'm not mistaken) to use hair conditioner instead of soap or shaving cream. It's cheap, and works really well. I usually buy the biggest bottle of cheap conditioner I can find with aloe in it. Doesn't take more than a couple of minutes, and the Mach 3 is an awesome tool for the job.

I've never tried waxing because I don't feel like shelling out $40 for it, and was not impressed the one time I tried Nair.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Mach 3 and a bottle of conditioner [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

What is the main advantage of shaving ones legs? Drag? How fast do you have to be to gain an advantage? Is there really that much drag caused by leg hair?

Background info:

I am just starting to get "serious" about racing. I went from 34th/60 last year in my age group to 7th/65 for a particular sprint race (16 minute improvement). I want to drop another 9 minutes for the win by next year. I am looking for every improvement (in addition to training twice as hard). I already have the aero bike/wheels. I think it will be easy to drop 3 minutes on the bike, 1-2 in transitions, and 3 on the run. I was 2nd on the swim, 3rd on the bike, and 33rd on the run. The run can stand to loose the most, but will take the most effort to reduce in time.

So back to the question.....what do clean shaven legs give you?

-Doug
Quote Reply
Ahhhh the age old question - why? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It isn't about drag, aerodynamics, or cooling (unless you happen to look like Chewbacca). Swimmers do it because during a 50/100/200m all out sprint, yes, the drag does make a difference - but not to triathletes, and especially since most of us wear wetsuits anyway.

Cyclists shave their legs primarily for two reasons - road rash is much easier to manage on cleanly shaven legs, and for those lucky enough to receive a post-race massage, it's much easier/better with hairless legs. That's it.

Triathletes shave their legs because cyclists always have, and a lot of triathletes log far more saddle time than many roadies - so it just makes sense.

Other reasons they shave are peer pressure, fashion, and simply because some folk prefer it. I've been shaving my legs for longer than I've been shaving my face, and frankly leg hair is a very weird thing for me.

Lastly, no post on "Why shave?" would be complete without the standard reply - 'Cause chicks dig it!!!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Mach 3 and a bottle of conditioner [ramdough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reasons to shave legs:
1. Swim slightly faster, (without a wetsuit)
2. Sexy,
3. Wetsuit comes off easier and don't pull your leg hair, Plus you don't get BodyGlide all bunched up.
4. Socks go on faster, (If you shave your feet, yes, it really works)
5. More Sexy.
6. Leg hair doesn't pull or cause pain in tight tri-shorts,
7. Much More Sexy,
8. More aero on bike, (three to five seonds in a 40K)
9. Totally a lot More Sexy,
10. Road rash cleans up better, (and less painfully)
11. Freaking like totally Sexy.
12. On the run Gatorade doesn't get stuck to your legs.
13. The most Sexy thing Ever,
14. At the finish you look better for your photo (like a pro)
15. It is like totally profesionaly Sexy.
16. After the race no one laughs at you.
17. Your the Sexiest thing ever.
18. Because It's obviously better and thhe chicks dig it (even though I'm still stuck single.)
19. Did I mention because it's sexy.
Quote Reply
Re: Ahhhh the age old question - why? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
from the female perspective, YES! it is super sexy.

For a fellow triathlete's birthday, I gave HIM the women's venus razor, and he absolutely digs it. it's the best, and who can deny those beautiful pastel colors they come in? so boys, give the venus a test drive--you'll dig it too.
Quote Reply
Re: Prehaps it is all hype or mind over matter [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I've been doing this shaving thing for some time, and I just wanted to make a quick comment. I love the Mach 3, and have always felt that the only differences between it and the Venus or any other "ladies'" razors are the hideous colors and the price. The Mach 3 also stays sharper longer. Other than that, unless you really like the bigger funky handle, there's no real difference between razors. They just package and market them for women.

Honestly, though, if I could stand to allow my hair to grow long enough, I would definitely go with waxing. Lasts SOOOOOO much longer and there's no danger of bleeding out. For me, that's worth the small discomfort and slightly higher price.

Becca
Quote Reply
Re: Ahhhh the age old question - why? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fyi, mark spitz won 7 gold medals with a full head of hair and a moustache!

but seriously, i just started the shaving thing a week ago and have developed quite a set of razor burn/shaving bumps. i used new blades and alot of sensitive skin shaving cream but to no avail. any suggestions?

geoff
Last edited by: trirn: May 30, 03 7:43
Quote Reply
Re: Ahhhh the age old question - why? [trirn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It could be any number of things causing the razor burn, so it's hard to say, but I can tell you a couple of things that help me.

1. Let the shaving cream sit on the hair for a bit. Don't just throw it on and rip in with the razor. Also, keep the shaving strokes slow, to give the blade a chance to cut the hair and avoid pulling the hairs out.

2. Make sure you're shaving in a comfortable environment. You don't want to shave when you are cold or have goosebumps.

3. Be cautious using lotion afterwards. I can't use any for a couple hours after I shave or it burns and ends up in razorburn

4. You may want to try shaving with the hair, rather than against it, until your skin gets used to the shaving. It won't be as close a cut or nearly as smooth, but it sure beats razorburn and in a while your skin will toughen up.

Good Luck!

Becca
Quote Reply