Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shallow Front Wheel
Quote | Reply
Due to some health issues I no longer feel comfortable running a deep dish front wheel (404/808). Looking for a shallow front wheel in the 30mm range. Aluminum rim in clincher. Something similar to the old Mavic Cosmic Pro or American Classic 420. You guys have any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Shallow Front Wheel [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I don't think that the 404 is generally considered a deep wheel.

How about the Zipp 303?

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dt swiss rr511.

I'm having a hard time envisioning a health issue that limits wheel depth, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a HED Jet Plus 4? Those are 46mm, but hardly considered deep. And, they are bomb proof.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of Flo 45 wheels that I use for everyday training wheels.

But to be honest, they don't seem any more or less stable than 404 Firecrest wheels in crosswinds.

And neither present any issues in normal riding. The only time I ever felt nervous was on a 50+ mph descent on the Peak to Peak Hwy outside of Boulder with some serious cross winds. But I would have felt nervous with box rims also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think moving from 404 to shallow rim will improve your health problems, whatever they could be
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbie Hancock wrote:
Due to some health issues I no longer feel comfortable running a deep dish front wheel (404/808). Looking for a shallow front wheel in the 30mm range. Aluminum rim in clincher. Something similar to the old Mavic Cosmic Pro or American Classic 420. You guys have any suggestions?

I would go with something using a Kinlin XR31T, AForce AL33 or Boyd Altamont rims.
The Kinlin rim is cheaper, while the other two are more bling with ceramic brake tracks etc.
They all have internal rim widths in the 19-20mm range and depths in the 29-32mm range.
There is windtunnel data out there from NovemberBicycles I think, showing excellent performance from the Kinlin and AForce rims relative to the ZIPP303 and other shallow rims. I don't think I've seen anything for the Boyds.

I think the Kinlin would be somewhat equivalent to the mavic and American Classic wheels you mention, though likely a wider internal dimension, which I would consider an improvement. The other two are a step or two up.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Jan 15, 20 8:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others have said, a 404 isn't deep

But if you insist on doing shallower, a 202 or 303 could be a good option if you stick with Zipp.

Vision Metro 30 or 40 would be solid. Mercury S4 could work. Flo 45s are good.

Enve SES 3.4 or 4.5 if you really want to blow the bank

Or just go with an aluminum box rim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys my health issues are related to balance and vision problems so cross winds are tough on me. I did not know that Zipp made the 30. I will also look into the Boyd's. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d stability is your primary concern I’d take a hard look at the Zipp 303. The most stable wheel I’ve ever ridden at any depth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the search function to find this article https://www.slowtwitch.com/...s_for_2019_7204.html
Last edited by: Herbie Hancock: Jan 15, 20 16:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You did mention wanting aluminum rims and I suggested the Zipp 303.

There is the new Firecrest Carbon Clincher but there is also an older 303 with aluminum rims:

https://www.ebay.com/...2:g:95IAAOSwUKxYdGXm

These seems kind of pricey. I think that was the new price. Just something to watch for.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really digging the Boyd Altamont. Any recommendations on if the additional $75 is worth it for the ceramic coating on the brake track?
Quote Reply