Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sexy New Bike
Quote | Reply
Has anyone seen/posted this yet? http://www.tririg.com/...d=2011_04_Cycpro_Ai4

I know it's not new...

I loved my Softride, this is made by one of the guys that came from Softride, and it looks like the fixed all of the things that were shitty about the Softride and made them awesome, so therefore I expect this bike to be awesome. I hate to say it, but I almost wish my P2 would "wear out" so I could justify getting one of these....

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Sexy New Bike [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it just KILLS me when triathletes worry about BB stiffness.

KILLS ME!

i know i know, you really like to attack the climbs

that bike looks pretty cool, I hope it works!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would buy one if I had a dealer anywhere near me.
Quote Reply
Re: Sexy New Bike [rbishop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wonder what it'll cost.. and how "aero" it'll be
Quote Reply
Re: Sexy New Bike [thuddddddd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be interesting to see. I imagine very aero,,,and hopefully competively priced!
Quote Reply
Re: Sexy New Bike [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it depends... If the BB stiffness is such that you autoshift when you stand, then there is a problem. Of course that hasn't happened to me since my last under-built steel bike 20 years ago.

I agree that 99.9% percent of people could not tell the BB stiffness difference in identical frames with a different lay-up. My guess is that if you told them "flexy" bike was the stuffer one. They would come back and agree 100% of the time. Carbon has sent BB stiffness straight to the realm of pure marketing at this point.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are cycpro's available now?

If so where?

Running is a gift.
Quote Reply
Re: Sexy New Bike [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BB stiffness is nice from a feel standpoint. But I agree it does nothing. I wish we could focus more on fork stiffness as that can drastically change the feel and one's confidence on a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet

Steven Reynolds
USA cycling and USAT certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: Sexy New Bike [SRcoaching] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the one of the key points in the original P3 being more aero than other bikes was how the down tube hugged the rear wheel creating a faring. Here, we have a frame with no rear wheel protection from the wind. Even Kestrel has stopped making that frame with the rear wheel completely exposed. BB stiffness is not the issue here, but there is no way the beam does not have some amount of flexion. Pedaling on a bouncing beam does not seem all that efficient.
Quote Reply
Re: Sexy New Bike [rickn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The big problem when discussing it are everyone gets their terms mixed up. A bottom bracket is the bearings and axle, its not part of the frame. Frame has a BB shell, but even that isn't going to be appreciably more or less stiff from one frame to another. What people refer to a BB stiffness is usually general frame flex, normally torsionally. As a previous poster said it can cause ghost shifting if its really bad. The other issue is handling particularly up hill, down hill and sprinting. Sprinting isn't going to be a big deal for the uses of this frame but going up and down could. Triangles are very good at making a structure strong, stiff and light. It will be interesting to see if this makes a dent in the market, I can think of at least 3-4 previous similar designs that didn't.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Sexy New Bike [tridoc3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have to have a seat tube it should be a good one, having no seat tube should be good and maybe better also. I do wonder why they used the pita horizontal dropouts with no seattube to get close too.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe a rear mud fender would work well....if it was carbon fiber that is.

Re: Sexy New Bike [cobalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cobalt wrote:
http://endurapix.com/photo/2854/2011_ford_ironman_lake_placid

that guy looks massive!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Sexy New Bike [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody know anything about release date or pricing?

Running is a gift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure is ugly, but I bet it's FAST.

They've gotta do something about that front brake/cable.
Quote Reply
Re: Sexy New Bike [thuddddddd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thuddddddd wrote:
wonder what it'll cost.. and how "aero" it'll be

If the Pearson is any indication...quite expensive (like $9k).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Sexy New Bike [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Sure is ugly.

I agree. Sorry if I'm offending anyone but I think I'd rather ride a recumbent than that thing. Just terrible...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate those bikes. Part of the reason: I'm scared that if they really are faster, I'm missing out because my tri-buddies have always told me that 'Softwings' are stupid.

Ya know how you never became close with the weird kid in math class who always knew the answers but never had anyone to do homework with (probably because he tucked in his t-shirt and wore socks halfway up to his knees)? Maybe the Softwing style is that weird kid. And we're all too ignorant to give him a shot.

On the other hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo
Last edited by: bradl016: Sep 30, 11 4:14
Quote Reply
Re: Sexy New Bike [cobalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cobalt wrote:

This appears to be a Softride Rocket

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: Sexy New Bike [zeusrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zeusrun wrote:
cobalt wrote:

This appears to be a Softride Rocket

TJ rides a Zipp 2001 frame...

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the one of the key points in the original P3 being more aero than other bikes was how the down tube hugged the rear wheel creating a faring. Here, we have a frame with no rear wheel protection from the wind. Even Kestrel has stopped making that frame with the rear wheel completely exposed. BB stiffness is not the issue here, but there is no way the beam does not have some amount of flexion. Pedaling on a bouncing beam does not seem all that efficient.
The key point of the original P3 was that it was very aero WITHIN the regulations of being a UCI legal bicycle...and depending on what/who you believed, it was as fast as the beam bikes. The removal of the seat tube allowed the air to move through that area with less disturbance to fill the low pressure area behind the rider; thus lowering the drag. This was the explanation provided for the seattubeless bicycle designs. This also made the beam bikes require a disk wheel to achieve the full aerodynamic realization (as compared to seat tube fared rear wheels which were less sensitive to placing a disk there or not). Soft ride got out of the bike business because they were more profitable in the rack business, and because UCI just took away what most viewed as the majority of their market; so at the time it made very good business sense to do what they did. There are more detailed explanations if one goes through the archives here and other places, where one can pick up on the nuances of why the business went the way it did. My understanding is that it was business driven; not driven by performance, and since there was no reason to try to improve on the beam designs, no one did (which makes perfect sense if one is a business). Personally, I ride a titanflex and absolutely love it. It fits in a small package if I needed to ship it, and it is very very comfortable (which is a good thing since I am moving farther and farther into the old man category).

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.