Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sex before Exercise
Quote | Reply
    Mohammed Ali always abstained from sex before a fight. I've always wondered about that. This saturday my wife and I did a 75 mile ride through the mountains around Woodstock, NY. Well, I being an in shape and ready to go male, and she being a great looking, in shape female had a little tet-a-tet on the couch right before heading out the door. At 25 miles I was weakening and at 35 I was shot. We has to stop at a store for a liter of Mt Dew to get me home. About ten minutes after the Dew I was fine and pushing the pace again, but I have to wonder, what do you think, was Ali right?

Good Luck to everyone heading for Lake Placid, Have a Great race!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Sex before Exercise [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no way...my best race results this year have come after sex.

tommy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ali was wrong. I hate to go against the people's heavyweight hero, but sex before exercise and races is great for relaxation. Unless, of course you are into marathon circus sex.
Quote Reply
Re: Sex before Exercise [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sex is better than breakfast but doesn't provide the calories needed to complete 75miles. I'd personally rather stop for a dew for the reasons listed.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is the sex? i think i know of it but i'm not sure. it's like after the wedding my mond was washed of that 3 letter word.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know when you're a pathetic tri-geek with no life other than training for tris when you start abstaining from sex before races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man I like tri but abstaining from sex???? come on I don't like it that much
Quote Reply
Re: Sex before Exercise [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read somewhere that sex before a race or big training day is fine, but staying out all night looking for it is generally a bad idea.

RP
Quote Reply
take what you can get [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'd say keep the sex, but be sure to add breakfast before the ride. i can't say that i would pass on it if it was offered, but i do need to have some food in my system for a workout (especially a 75 mile ride). later,

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Re: take what you can get [mckenzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to say that I read this somewhere, but I can't recall where. At any rate, what I read was an article saying that women sprinters (track and field types) actually were faster if they had sex the night before, but it had no effect on male athlete's performance.

I don't know if this improvement could be carried over to tri's but it's a worth a try, no?
Quote Reply
Sex is the reason... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impressive car? Park it at the nightclub door.

Impressive clothes? Leave them on the bedroom floor.

Let's face it, the only thing that you can work for AND remains impressive in the sack is the body you've crafted from all those training hours...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ali was nuts

After years of marriage, I don't care what is on the schedule... if the wife is "in the mood" I'm not missing the opportunity.

the day racing is more important to me than making love to my wife I want someone to slap me upside my silly head

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: Sex before Exercise [eric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with eric! Let's see what I've learned from this thread...

Sex the night before a race is OK, but 1) stretch first to avoid muscle pulls, 2) stay aerobic, 3) finish early and go to sleep, 3a) make sure your partner is attractive enough to not require large amounts of alcohol, 4) a "wake up call" is OK if you eat breakfast afterwards and, most importantly 5) ALWAYS drink a Mt. Dew after sex.
Quote Reply
Re: Sex before Exercise [eric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you know those threads we have every once in awhile about our favorite quotes? generally they're supposed to be inspirational. well, I'm saving this for the next time it comes up.

Quote:

the day racing is more important to me than making love to my wife I want someone to slap me upside my silly head
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you should watch Dr. Strangelove again - sex is ok, but don't give them your essence. And watch out for that flooridation too.

There was a study some years ago that purported to show the expectation of sexual activity raised testosterone levels.
Therefore to keep your expectations and testosterone high frequent sex should be a part of any training program. They unfortunately didn't report if sex with oneself elicited any response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a great story by T.C. Boyle about the Santa Barbara Triathlon. It's in his collection "After the Plague". The protagonist's girlfriend doesn't want to have sex before the race because she wants to win it. It's a pretty dark story (most of his are) and I won't spoil the ending but it's pretty entertaining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also check out "The 158-Pound Marriage," an early John Irving novel that uses the "sex before exercise" as a clever plot device at its end...

(it becomes pretty clear where he stands on the issue, at least where wrestling is considered)

(though I concur for all races--strangelovian or not, I believe ya gotta keep ya essence in reserve...)

--zee
Quote Reply