Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Setting up tubeless on a non-tubeless clincher? (Reynolds element disc)
Quote | Reply
I am wanting to set up a Reynolds element disc for tubeless. I understand it is very narrow on the internal at 17mm or so but looking at it more for flat protection and will run a low crr tire like the Corsa.

Is it possible to set this up with tubeless rim tape or is it bad idea?
Quote Reply
Re: Setting up tubeless on a non-tubeless clincher? (Reynolds element disc) [Climb11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No
Quote Reply
Re: Setting up tubeless on a non-tubeless clincher? (Reynolds element disc) [Climb11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's certainly possible and I've done it in the early days of MTB and CX tubeless tires.

However, there was always issues and frankly those issues could be quite dangerous at road pressures and speeds.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I blew a tubeless tire off a rim once. Thankfully i was on my rollers inside. It sounded like a gunshot and my rear wheel instantly locked up as the tire blew off.

For me, the only damage was Stan's sealant all over my walls, ceiling, and some photos hanging on the wall. If that happened outside, I don't know what type of injuries I would have received.

It was at that moment when i made a strict rule about only using tubeless tires with tubeless rims.

Save yourself some hospital bills and run GP5000s with latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: Setting up tubeless on a non-tubeless clincher? (Reynolds element disc) [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is the right answer and Dan should probably lock the thread, lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked essentially the same question on the tubeless tyre super thread a while ago.
+ I wanted the 'why not' as well as the yes/no.

As I'd used conversion kits for mtb and also 'ghetto' tubeless on the mtb.

Answer was as per the others here - don't do it on road wheels.
The tyre can come off suddenly and the consequences can be huge.

Why ? Basically higher pressure + rims not guaranteeing to hold the bead in the right place / risk of it coming off. And non-tubless road tyre beads not being stiff enough/ they stretch too much.
Last edited by: BobAjobb: Oct 14, 20 2:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you need rim tape?
Quote Reply
Re: Setting up tubeless on a non-tubeless clincher? (Reynolds element disc) [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it! Lol.

I’ll stick with latex and clinchers. Thanks everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running tubeless road tires on regular clincher rims since 2011. I've never had any issues. Stans tape and a valve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You wouldn't need rim tape, since there are no spoke holes to cover. That being said, seems like there have been some bad experiences with tubeless tires on non-tubeless rims (though I ran the original Hutchinson tubeless on some 2003 Ksyrium wheels [which also have no spoke holes in the rim bed] for a couple of years without issue).

If you just want the flat protection, get tubes with removable cores and add sealant. Same level of puncture protection, but pinch flats are still possible if you run too low a pressure (but that's more in your control than the errant nail or glass shard).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Setting up tubeless on a non-tubeless clincher? (Reynolds element disc) [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if you have tubeless compatible wheels can you run standard gp 5000 not the tl version?
Quote Reply
Re: Setting up tubeless on a non-tubeless clincher? (Reynolds element disc) [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the tubeless-compatible wheel has hooked rims, you can use non-TL tires with tubes.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Setting up tubeless on a non-tubeless clincher? (Reynolds element disc) [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But non tl cant be used w/o tube correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Setting up tubeless on a non-tubeless clincher? (Reynolds element disc) [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A non-TL tire will blow off the rim without a tube.

To run w/o a tube, the tire must be designed specifically as tubeless.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cjb3 wrote:
But non tl cant be used w/o tube correct?

That is correct.

If you set up a non TL clincher without a tube on a non-TL rim, you may die.

If you set up a non TL clincher without a tube on a TL rim, you may die.

If you set up a TL clincher tubeless on a non-TLR rim, you may die.
Quote Reply
Re: Setting up tubeless on a non-tubeless clincher? (Reynolds element disc) [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it thanx guys.

Not ready to die at the hands of tl rim/tire.
Quote Reply