Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Seriously: What do you think is in the pipeline for Cervelo?
Quote | Reply
The P3C came out of nowhere and really surprised everyone. Let me preface this by saying that Cervelo is very tight lipped about prodcut development and I don't even know when they are developing a new T-shirt design let alone a new bike until it is out.

That said, what do you guys think is going to be their next move? The P3C came out of no where a couple years ago. I wonder what their next real move will be?

Thoughts? Guesses? Predictions?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Last edited by: Tom Demerly: Mar 6, 07 9:04
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously: What do you tink is in the pipeline for Cervelo? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess integrated seat post and fork similiar to LOOK. Wish they would use the seat tube as compartment for storage of spare tire and inflator! I'm sure the paint job will be boring. Hell, maybe they will suprise us with the paint this year!

Re
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously: What do you tink is in the pipeline for Cervelo? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd guess integrated, water fueled rockets that allow you to go even faster.....

Ok, seriously, I would venture to guess a better fork designed in house (you've seen them switch up forks this year) ala the Felt DA and perhaps an integrated seatpost, though I'd wonder about the long term durability of those. Also, perhaps a switch to lighter, yet stiffer carbon layups ala the R3Sl and the SLC SL.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I would "guess" that the two areas for any significant break-throughs would either be in aerodynamics or frame (and component) materials.

On the latter, I may be incorrect, but both carbon fiber and titanium came from the aerospace industry. Although c.f. has overtaken titanium on bike frames due to it's "workability", we're constantly seeing updates in the technology of c.f. - to a point where it seems like just about everyone has a c.f. frame and / or components. Will there be lighter, stronger carbon fiber technology, probably so - as soon as the military releases it...

As far as frames, the P3C is a great looking bike, but, as with just about anything, there's always room for improvement in design, whether it's weight savings from a new material blend, or through better aerodynamics...

But, then again, maybe next year's model will just be a different paint scheme... hopefully the red / black will come back :)

Doug

(i just verbed myself, and it feels pretty good).
Dan Empfield aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri specific aero frames aka beam bikes. Seriously, when will tri get big enough for companies to start making these again? (Yes, I know about Titanflex and Cheetah)
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously: What do you tink is in the pipeline for Cervelo? [Doug1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the military industrial complex control the carbon fiber market now? I thought industry did, but maybe I'm not wearing my tinfoil hat correctly...

With regard to titanium, it was used in the space industry and to a certain extent the military until the 1980's. until that point it was a very scare material. However with the discovery of more deposits and techniques to extract the ore from rock, it has becoem more pletiful, thus why you see it everywhere, including the watch I am wearing and the spoon I use when camping.

The biggest determiner of where carbon fiber is going will be of all things, Airbus. The reason so many frames jumped in priced this year was that Airbus was buying so much CF for their new jets that it became very scarce. If Airbus decides to kill a plan program or two then you'll see more stuff hit the market. Also, look for exotic blends of CF to be developed further ala the Trek CF with boron, etc.

I agree and Cervelo seems to back this up on the tech section of their website, that aerodynamics are where things are going. We'll see what happens when the Cervelo goes head to head with the Felt DA, but my guess is that any further development sof the P3 or its successor will be in the area of tube shape and aerodynamics.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could see the downtube coming closer to the front wheel like the DA or the BMC Time Machine.

Maybe they'll find a way to clean up the entire front end of the bike--integrate the earobars into the frame and include some adjustability. That would be very cool. Sure, we'd be locked into a cockpit to some degree, but I wouldn't mind if it was a good one.

Hopefully ride quality will improve...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know I'm swimming upstream on this one...but I wish they were developing a titanium version of their P2K or Dual. Something for us folks that can't seem to keep from scratching our bikes, having them knocked over in transition, riding gravelly sections of roads, or having a shipping company/bike shop/airline inspector repack it poorly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How abotu them making aero wheels?

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering they supply CSC I doubt they'll be willing to go outside the UCI rules as I would think CSC would say "Hey, you're designing a TT bike that's faster than the P3C and we can't use it!!!"

So my guess would be some changes in the front end, fork, headtube, stem combo type thing? Who knows, any change to a more normal seattube shape (even if more aero) won't have the WOW appeal of the P3C design so they have to get more radical I think as most people shop with their eyes. They could make a straight seattubed bike with have the drag of the P3C but people will still but the P3C because the radical shape looks faster.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Internal cable routing for power-meters.
2. Arundel-like water bottle to match the frame contour.
3. Little lighter and a little stiffer.
4. Integrated spell-checker. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously: What do you tink is in the pipeline for Cervelo? [ironmanrex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking they may re-define how we look at the fork/frame interface also. We may see some interesting front ends from Cervelo.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously: What do you tink is in the pipeline for Cervelo? [jamiewilson3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the UCI has pretty much been the nails in the coffin lid on beam bikes.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously: What do you tink is in the pipeline for Cervelo? [Bobcatbob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Carbon Soloist SL is just an amazing machine. It is so incredibly light- and it maintains the best serodynamics of any road bike. That is a nice bike. I wonder if we may see some emphasis on "SL" designs in the tri specific bikes? I wonder if triathlon consumers would perceive that as added value and perfromance? Does the prospect of a fully functional, 15 pound complete aero tri-bike speak to the triathlete? I think it should. Imagine doing Ford Ironman Wisconsin or Ford Ironman Lake Placid on a bike that was fully four pounds lighter than your current bike. That would make a difference after 112 miles on the climbs.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They'll partner with FSA to put the cervelo name on the crankset, and start making aerobars (that will really be profile design with the cervelo name printed on it). They will then come out with the new Cervelo P3C-DA, with "full Dura-ace and Cervelo components." So the brake set will still be tekro, the crankset will still be FSA, the aerobars will still be profile design, but the price tag will be $4800.

The P4C will have a front wheel cutout on the drop bar, similar to the felt DA.
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously: What do you tink is in the pipeline for Cervelo? [Bobcatbob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately carbon fiber and titanium go hand in hand. Many of the metal bits (mounting brackets and the like) and pieces that come in direct contact with the carbon need to be highly corrosion resistant. Titanium meets that requirement. With Boeing and Airbus locking up a lot of the futures in Ti and CF I don't see any real hope seeing material cost staying in a reasonable range.

Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously: What do you tink is in the pipeline for Cervelo? [trirookie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They will have a sound chip talking to you, repeating things like 'your seat is too high'.
Also, a new computer attached to it, with wireless connection, allowing you to both connect to ST while riding, while taking pictures of yourself, and asking about your position...then it will actually generate the entire thread based on previous threads, without anyone to have to participate, which will lead Dan to sue Cervelo for illegal posting, and to ban Gerard from the forum.
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously: What do you tink is in the pipeline for Cervelo? [trirookie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless I totally read the company wrong, I don't see Cervelo turning into Zipp and straying too far from their core competency of making fast bikes. I think they'l leave cranks and wheels to those who make those things. I could be totally wrong on this one, but it's just a vibe.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Does the prospect of a fully functional, 15 pound complete aero tri-bike speak to the triathlete? I think it should. "

It will have definite value for the fashion show crowd or those who have more money than they know what to do with, but less so for those that understand the benefits of aero vs weight.

I can't see myself ever spending an extra $1200 for an SL version frame just to save 200 gms.
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously: What do you tink is in the pipeline for Cervelo? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to save 150-200 grams, simply spend $400 on the Wolf SL fork. Unless the bike frame itself was stiffer, there is no need to otherwise lighten the load, so to speak.

Litespeed came out with the new Ghisallo a yer or so ago and it was the lightest thing on the market...Unfortunately it was as loose as a noodle and no one could ride the thing. Light is one thing, but light and stiff is another animal all together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing which no one had said (I'm surprised) is developing a slightly fairing like top tube.... remember the MIT Podcast? The weird bottle which saved time... the one area which still doesn't seem to be shaped right it the spot behind the stem..... I could see a change to the front end and even the area behind the frint wheel, much liike the DA, but I think they will have a slight lump in the tt to create less drag around the stem area....

thats about it..... everything else is component placement or replacement. So far I think we'll see both brakes hidden, and we'll see what other things they can hide?

maybe integrated bars?

"Pace is just a matter of having enough RedBull..." -Rappstar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think the UCI has pretty much been the nails in the coffin lid on beam bikes.

Yeah, that was such a shame. Coincidence that the major companies developing beam bikes at the time were NA based?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cyclocross?
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously: What do you tink is in the pipeline for Cervelo? [d2p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously: What do you think is in the pipeline for Cervelo?

Hopefully a fully aero bike that can be used in triathlons with places for two waterbottles on the frame or another good location.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reality is that there is probably not a lot of things left that can be done to a double diamond frame to genuinely increase performance significantly. Sure they can make them a bit lighter or come out with the odd new feature but for the most part this is just "fluff'. To get a significantly faster new frame a radical non traditional design would be needed.

It would be a bold move for Cervelo to come out with a non double diamond frame production bike that goes against the rules, but with their affiliation with CSC, it's probably unlikely.
Quote Reply

Prev Next