Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Serious UTI From Bacteria in Savannah River at Augusta 70.3
Quote | Reply
(This is Andrew’s girlfriend writing from the ER as he wanted to make sure this info got out as soon as possible in case anyone is suffering from similar symptoms)

I raced Augusta 70.3 on Sunday, drove back home to the DC area on Monday and had a normal day at work on Tuesday. Wednesday morning when I woke up, it was super painful to pee, and I kept on having the urge to pee every 5 minutes. By the afternoon I started getting the shakes and broke out in a fever. I went to the ER where my temperature was ~102 and my white blood cell count in a urine sample was off the charts (sign of infection). The doctor took a culture from my urine and said that it was a strain of bacteria found in waterways; the big concern as well is that this particular strain has become more “resistant” to antibiotics. It looks like my fever is dropping so the antibiotics are working. I’ve swam in dozens of bodies of water throughout my swimming/triathlon career and have never gotten any sort of infection, and I’m hoping this is just a freak accident. I wanted to share in case anyone else from the race was feeling similar symptoms; definitely go see a doctor ASAP if so.

The Gram: @agyenis
My latest story on Swimswam: More than a title
Quote Reply
Re: Serious UTI From Bacteria in Savannah River at Augusta 70.3 [agyenis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really appreciate your sharing this. I also did Augusta 70.3 and had the same issue though it developed later on the bike. I drank several bottles, but couldn't pee. Terrible pain during run, afterwards, Monday and Tuesday. Went to urologist on Wednesday and verified my bladder was full. Enlarged prostate also noted. Cather inserted and drained. Meds given for prostate and return visit scheduled in a few days. Will mention this to urologist.
Quote Reply
Re: Serious UTI From Bacteria in Savannah River at Augusta 70.3 [Rocking Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m no doctor but I don’t think noticeable symptoms would develop within 2-3 hours. So I’m thinking you already had the infection. Someone who is an actual medical professional can let me know if I’m wrong.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Serious UTI From Bacteria in Savannah River at Augusta 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Edit: Ignore me. As Monty points out, I'm not paying enough attention.

GMAN wrote:
I’m no doctor but I don’t think noticeable symptoms would develop within 2-3 hours. So I’m thinking you already had the infection. Someone who is an actual medical professional can let me know if I’m wrong.

Que?

Raced on Sunday, drove home Monday, work on Tuesday, poorly on Wednesday.

Last edited by: knighty76: Oct 3, 19 8:47
Quote Reply
Re: Serious UTI From Bacteria in Savannah River at Augusta 70.3 [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is talking to the other guy, not the OP..

Hope this gets sorted out for you, those resistant strains are creeping me out these days, as l love to swim in bodies of water..
Quote Reply
Re: Serious UTI From Bacteria in Savannah River at Augusta 70.3 [agyenis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That stinks! I participated but haven’t had any symptoms. I do all my swim training in a pond so maybe I’ve built up a resistance.
Quote Reply