Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Selle Italia Iron Flow
Quote | Reply
Is anyone riding this family of saddles?

I think I have to permanently move away from traditional tri type saddles. I've used almost all shapes of ISM, the Tritone and then Mistica, the Fabric Tri, a Prologo tri, and the new Sitero. I seem to have the same problem with all of them...the nose(s) of the saddle dig into where my leg and groin meet. That crease in there, and the part of my pelvis behind it that I am sitting on, get so sore that when I stand to stretch or let the blood flow, it hurts.

I've since put the Specialized Power from my roadie onto the tri bike and it has been much better. Not perfect, but much better. I think I'm going to get a Power arc to see if it's better but the SI Iron Flow has always interested me. It looks like it might be like a Power, where you sit on the wing area but have a really short and narrow nose. But I'm thinking you can get better rotation on this than on the Power.

Anyone with experience? Which size do/did you use?
Quote Reply
Re: Selle Italia Iron Flow [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the nose(s) of the saddle dig into where my leg and groin meet

I have no experience with the Iron Flow saddle, but if you're sitting back far enough on a noseless saddle to dig into your leg, you're probably back too far. This is the #1 thing I see wrong with these saddles.
Quote Reply
Re: Selle Italia Iron Flow [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Quote:

I have no experience with the Iron Flow saddle, but if you're sitting back far enough on a noseless saddle to dig into your leg, you're probably back too far. This is the #1 thing I see wrong with these saddles.

Unfortunately it happens whether i'm back a bit or right on the front
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have personal experience with this saddle, but when I asked my fitter about it - and he has one in his drawer of saddles that clients can try - he told me that it is almost universally hated. He was struggling to recall a single client that liked it. He told me that he has a good number of clients that come in specifically requesting to try the saddle - as I had - and they all try it say "uhhhm, thanks but no thanks."

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,
I am actually riding one. In S I think. I switched from a Sitero where I was never able to find the right spot to sit on. It either was too far back and I could not pedal or it was too far forward and I felt like I was sitting on a tiny piece of steel.... On the Iron flow I can sit on my sitbones with no interference from the nose. On the other hand the nose is so narrow that it provides zero support. I have measured the width of my sitbones to be 12 cm (there are manuals how to measure that distance) and then chose the small version....nor sure my N=1 helps.
Best,
Uli
Quote Reply
Re: Selle Italia Iron Flow [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uw234 wrote:
Hey,
I am actually riding one. In S I think. I switched from a Sitero where I was never able to find the right spot to sit on. It either was too far back and I could not pedal or it was too far forward and I felt like I was sitting on a tiny piece of steel.... On the Iron flow I can sit on my sitbones with no interference from the nose. On the other hand the nose is so narrow that it provides zero support. I have measured the width of my sitbones to be 12 cm (there are manuals how to measure that distance) and then chose the small version....nor sure my N=1 helps.
Best,
Uli

That's exactly what I'm looking for! I'm finding that tri saddles that really rotate you forward are just not working for me. I like how I can sit more on my sit bones on the Specialzied Power and I had a feeling the Iron Flow would allow me to sit on my sit bones also.

I'll have to find one to try.
Quote Reply
Re: Selle Italia Iron Flow [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
I don't have personal experience with this saddle, but when I asked my fitter about it - and he has one in his drawer of saddles that clients can try - he told me that it is almost universally hated. He was struggling to recall a single client that liked it. He told me that he has a good number of clients that come in specifically requesting to try the saddle - as I had - and they all try it say "uhhhm, thanks but no thanks."

Interesting. What fitter/where? I want to see if I can get a fitter to loan me one to try and I haven't been able to find one around me yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Los Angeles (Santa Monica)

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: May 10, 18 16:32
Quote Reply
Re: Selle Italia Iron Flow [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Quote:

That’s not necessarily always true, sure maybe most of the times but I can tell you that with my 25” quads very few saddles are good enough to clear my legs regardless of how much to the top of the saddle you are!!!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
Is anyone riding this family of saddles?

I think I have to permanently move away from traditional tri type saddles. I've used almost all shapes of ISM, the Tritone and then Mistica, the Fabric Tri, a Prologo tri, and the new Sitero. I seem to have the same problem with all of them...the nose(s) of the saddle dig into where my leg and groin meet. That crease in there, and the part of my pelvis behind it that I am sitting on, get so sore that when I stand to stretch or let the blood flow, it hurts.

I've since put the Specialized Power from my roadie onto the tri bike and it has been much better. Not perfect, but much better. I think I'm going to get a Power arc to see if it's better but the SI Iron Flow has always interested me. It looks like it might be like a Power, where you sit on the wing area but have a really short and narrow nose. But I'm thinking you can get better rotation on this than on the Power.

Anyone with experience? Which size do/did you use?

I’ve used this saddle for almost a year and while I r ally likes the saddle because I never Hasán issue with my quads getting in the way I wasn’t able to roll my hips forward.

I’ve been using the PN3.0 and it kills my thighs but I can roll forward like a mofo! I am looking to eventually buy a dash saddle narrow version to see if that works!

Quote Reply
Re: Selle Italia Iron Flow [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]

I’ve used this saddle for almost a year and while I r ally likes the saddle because I never Hasán issue with my quads getting in the way I wasn’t able to roll my hips forward.

I’ve been using the PN3.0 and it kills my thighs but I can roll forward like a mofo! I am looking to eventually buy a dash saddle narrow version to see if that works![/quote]
Thanks for the insight. When you compare to the PN 3.0 (which I've been slightly interested in) would you say the Iron Flow put you on your sit bones but the PN3.0 rolled you forward and onto your pubic rami?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's correct for me, I did get to sir on my sit bones on the iron flow but hips were not as rolled forward as they could with PN3.0 hips are rolled as forward as they go and I'm NOT sitting on my sit bones and if I am then I surely don't notice it because my thighs are getting rawed up by the saddle width at the front.

I can otherwise forget about the saddle of my thighs allowed it... PN3.0 is a superior saddle when it comes to positioning on a TT bike but iron flow much more comfy for me!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My $.02: Sitting on your sit bones on a tri bike shouldn't be something you strive to do, this can cause low back problems, and can restrict lung capacity and organ function. I understand your comfort issues however in the perineal area, however. Have you tried different shorts?

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Selle Italia Iron Flow [Jonathan Blyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonathan Blyer wrote:
My $.02: Sitting on your sit bones on a tri bike shouldn't be something you strive to do, this can cause low back problems, and can restrict lung capacity and organ function. I understand your comfort issues however in the perineal area, however. Have you tried different shorts?

Thanks for you $.02! I was hoping a fitter would chime in. I'd actually love to get a fit with you (I'm out on the Island).

I get that, it's just that I've been far more comfortable since switching over to the Power and feeling like I'm more on my sit bones. Trust me I'd love to be on a more tri oriented saddle and with my hips and pelvis more rotated. I've got a Fizik Mistica, ISM PR2.0, PN2.1 and Road all sitting in a box. Plus the new 2018 Specialized Sitero, which I really want to work, I just keep getting the same discomfort.

I've worn a bunch of different shorts. Pearl Izumi, Louis Garneau and Sugoi cycling bibs or shorts and Pearl, Sugoi and Castelli tri shorts. I am fairly confident the size of some of my shorts are causing issues since I'm heavier than when they were purchased, but that's disappearing as I lose weight. I definitely feel best in the Louis Garneau bibs but I don't want to race in bibs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried the Selle SMP road saddles? They aren't exactly my 'go to' saddle, but they could potentially work for something like this. Their Dynamic or Drakon (same chassis, different level of padding) both have an upward swooping rear which might just support your sit bones, or get closer to supporting them, when you are still pitched forward. You might get the same issue you'e had with some of the others but it's probably worth trying.

We would love to have you in, sounds like a challenging problem to try and solve.

Best,
Jonathan

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Selle Italia Iron Flow [Jonathan Blyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried them, but I'm interested in them. A shop out here has demos. I'll go take a look. Thanks for the advice. If I had the money, I'd have come already. Hopefully I can save up for an off season fit.
Quote Reply