Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seeking road bike recommendations for triathlon
Quote | Reply
Due to a c-spine issue, my aero days (that included Kona) are over. I intend to keep racing 70.3's and fulls and I am interested in hearing from this community about recommendations for a road bike. I realize that the seat tube angle of a tri bike is typically more vertical than that of a road bike in order to keep the rider more upright for both the bike and the run. Please post some ideas for me. My 8th Oceanside is my next race (in Men 60-64) while my son is the lucky recipient of my tri bike in time for Ironman Arizona. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking road bike recommendations for triathlon [jmaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe Cervelo, at least the older models, allowed you to flip the seat posts to give you the steeper, hypothetical, seat tube angle. The current S series are the aero road bike models.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to ride a kestrel talon set up as a road bike with clip-on aero bars. Loved that bike. Trek makes a new madone road bike with clip-on s too that was recently announced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recently through in the towel on racing road bike geometries (Fuji Transonic) and went for a comfort/endurance geometry in a Trek Domane.

The frame's geometry makes a difference. A road geometry that's a race geometry might not give you the relief that you want/need. You might need a non race geometry in your road bike.

I wonder if they can do that with tri bikes - a comfort/endurance geometry frame? Or would we just put aero bars on something like a Trek Domane?

PS I'm 64.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmaz wrote:
Due to a c-spine issue, my aero days (that included Kona) are over. I intend to keep racing 70.3's and fulls and I am interested in hearing from this community about recommendations for a road bike. I realize that the seat tube angle of a tri bike is typically more vertical than that of a road bike in order to keep the rider more upright for both the bike and the run. Please post some ideas for me. My 8th Oceanside is my next race (in Men 60-64) while my son is the lucky recipient of my tri bike in time for Ironman Arizona. Thank you.

Can you set up your tri bike so you are higher and not have to bend your neck any more than you would on a road bike? Or maybe there's some other problem?
If you can then you could still be narrow and on a bike designed to go in a straight line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmaz wrote:

i second the question of the person above me. let's talk a little more about why you can't ride a tri bike.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. I can no longer ride in an aero position because of a skeletal and nerve issue in my c-spine (as I can't tilt my neck backwards.) Thus, for my next race (my 8th Oceanside 70.3), I need to ride a road bike. I am interested in hearing (and thank you for the responses) about a frame geometry (or the reversal of a seat post) that enables me to have a good bike split and also gives me a good chance for having a solid run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who did your last bike fit?
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking road bike recommendations for triathlon [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A local well-respected bike fitter. My aero bars and seat were essentially at the same horizontal position (compared to a few years ago, including Ironman Hawaii, when the bars were lower.) After an X-ray and an MRI, it was clear to me (and my doctors) why I can no longer tilt my head back and maintain an aero position. It's not that big a deal to me because everything I have read concludes that aero adds maybe 2-4 mph (much of which can made up by simply getting stronger) and increasing my wattage for the three (or so) hours for me in a 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmaz wrote:
A local well-respected bike fitter. My aero bars and seat were essentially at the same horizontal position (compared to a few years ago, including Ironman Hawaii, when the bars were lower.) After an X-ray and an MRI, it was clear to me (and my doctors) why I can no longer tilt my head back and maintain an aero position. It's not that big a deal to me because everything I have read concludes that aero adds maybe 2-4 mph (much of which can made up by simply getting stronger) and increasing my wattage for the three (or so) hours for me in a 70.3.

This sounds like you have a limitation on how flat your back can be (i.e. you couldn't ride an aggressive drops position either), rather than an inability to be on aero bars. Even a more upright position on aerobars will be much faster than on the drops or hoods, since your arms aren't sitting out in clean air (vs. inline with your legs/torso).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking road bike recommendations for triathlon [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. You make a good point. I will be talking to my local bike shop and bike fitter to explore some options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All,

Thanks for the replies and recommendations. It's also clear to me that I have to be a more consistent rider in order to lose weight and build my FTP. When I read on another thread ("FTP for the Average Joe) that I should be aspiring to at least 3.5 per kg (I am at 2.0 now) I realize that aerodynamics are just part of the equation (particularly at a race such as Oceanside 70.3 with such a hilly route) that I need to dedicate myself to gaining strength through a consistent training program.)

Have a good week...
Quote Reply