Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seeking requests for non-frustrating valve extender / tube combos
Quote | Reply
I have been having a lot of frustrating times with the valve extender for my 80mm flo rear wheel lately. I used whatever extender came with it until it died, and since then I have had nothing but frustration trying to find a good replacement.

My most recent attempt was with the enve valve extender and continental tubes that have removable cores. I used plumbers tape on the thread between the tube and the valve extender. Still resulted in a slow leak and ruined ride.

What are the best, most idiot proof, combos for deep wheels? Also would like something I can change during a race.

For the front I run a 60mm rim, and just buy the long-stemmed tubes and that works great.

Sincerely,

Sad that I missed the ride today because I didn't have my gear sorted.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking requests for non-frustrating valve extender / tube combos [ehr62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No ideas... I have been using Continental butyl and Vitoria & Silca for years with those Enve/Silca style extenders. They have never let me down. They do not need plumbers tape, or anything else. They just work.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking requests for non-frustrating valve extender / tube combos [ehr62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silca valve extenders and silca or Vitoria tubes would be a good combo.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did the valve extender die?
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking requests for non-frustrating valve extender / tube combos [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you use the removable core tubes with extenders, or the old school extenders where you permanently stick the valve open?
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking requests for non-frustrating valve extender / tube combos [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't remember, probably just messed it up eventually after taking it on and off enough times.

I am remembering though that it was the old style where you intentionally stick the presta valve open, and that style seemed to have a lot less leaking issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Removable core latex Silca tubes with the Silca extenders where they come with the fancy aero thingy. No tape needed. I've carried a spare butyl Conti tube with me and used that just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I picked the Continental and Victoria/Silca tubes because they had removable cores. And I used the extenders that move the core to the end of the extender. The extenders have o-rings, so they don’t need anything else to seal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve used several brands and types (core, non-core), and I’m sold on Zipp model. It’s never failed me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use the old-style "straw" extenders that leave the valve core open and in place, along with some plumber's tape. Works great, and also means that you can use a non removable core tube if needed (or fix the front flat if all someone can lend you is a short stem tube). It's a simple and versatile solution.

The tape should seal well, just make sure your pump head/hose isn't twisting the extender and loosening it from the valve stem. That's a common cause for leakage.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silca extenders with vittoria latex tubes.

Never an issue

Air up before every ride, never inflate with co2 :p ( butyl spare kit )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also strongly prefer idiot-proof. I now use Vittoria latex tubes with either
  1. Zipp extenders because it came with these longer-armed valve extender tools which are so much better than fussing with the tiny little portable ones that break under too much force.
    or
  2. Continental extenders
    or
  3. NeoPro extenders.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking requests for non-frustrating valve extender / tube combos [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Yes, I picked the Continental and Victoria/Silca tubes because they had removable cores. And I used the extenders that move the core to the end of the extender. The extenders have o-rings, so they don’t need anything else to seal.

This is what I do, too. Continental tubes with removable cores and the core goes into the Continental Extender. Works well so far no issues. I do use the white (plumber?) tape between the tube valve body and the extender. Holds pressure better than no extender. I keep a spare tube in my water bottle with an extender long enough for both wheels (since the rear is deeper).
Last edited by: mrfreeze: Mar 27, 21 17:37
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking requests for non-frustrating valve extender / tube combos [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the Victoria latex tubes with a variety of extenders (Zipp, Silca, Lezyne). They all work. I do use a single wrap of plumbers tape—may not be necessary, but I always use it, and it always works.

How are you wrenching the extender? I use the silca wrenches, which get a great grip, tighten nicely, but don’t overtighten and strip the threads.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking requests for non-frustrating valve extender / tube combos [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:

Never an issue

Not sure, so asking...
You (users of latex tubes) can't use co2 cartridge to refill or fox a flat?

Or you just prefer not to?
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking requests for non-frustrating valve extender / tube combos [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Problem is, co2 leaks from tubes faster than standard air, and latex loses air faster than butyl.

Because of this, you can lose a considerable amount of pressure if you have inflated a latex tube with co2 dramatically increasing risk of pinch flats and having to do another roadside repair.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking requests for non-frustrating valve extender / tube combos [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
I use the Victoria latex tubes with a variety of extenders (Zipp, Silca, Lezyne). They all work. I do use a single wrap of plumbers tape—may not be necessary, but I always use it, and it always works.

How are you wrenching the extender? I use the silca wrenches, which get a great grip, tighten nicely, but don’t overtighten and strip the threads.

Why do use a single wrap of plumber's (teflon) tape?
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking requests for non-frustrating valve extender / tube combos [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is my takeaway from this. It sounds like I was using the old-style straw extenders before, and they worked fine as long as you don't mind "destroying" the tube by overscrewing the valve to force it open. These seem to be a little harder to find online, but I'm going to find one and try using that again.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking requests for non-frustrating valve extender / tube combos [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:
Problem is, co2 leaks from tubes faster than standard air, and latex loses air faster than butyl.

Because of this, you can lose a considerable amount of pressure if you have inflated a latex tube with co2 dramatically increasing risk of pinch flats and having to do another roadside repair.
Took me 2 years of riding to learn this. I'd still inflate a latex with CO2 if it's what's available but I'd also plan to be home within an hour.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking requests for non-frustrating valve extender / tube combos [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Took me 2 years of riding to learn this. I'd still inflate a latex with CO2 if it's what's available but I'd also plan to be home within an hour.

100%

I try to carry a butyl spare ( or multiple on long all day rides ) to avoid this, then swap back over to latex once i get home.

I don’t find many people with latex tubes in their spare kits, though it can happen!

Other option is to top up your tube a couple times on the way home, but i’m not a huge fan of partially drained co2 waiting to be jiggled in my pocket :p
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking requests for non-frustrating valve extender / tube combos [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
dfquigley wrote:

Never an issue

Not sure, so asking...
You (users of latex tubes) can't use co2 cartridge to refill or fox a flat?

Or you just prefer not to?

You'll lose 5-15psi/hr with latex+CO2, so it's really suboptimal. Typical setup is to race on latex, with a butyl tube as a spare. The butyl tube holds CO2 much better (no issues getting to T2, even in an IM), and it's less fussy to install.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking requests for non-frustrating valve extender / tube combos [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Waingro wrote:

Two reasons:

-It helps prevent the extender from vibrating loose.

-The threads and shoulder of the extender may not provide a good seal. Some of the extenders place an o-ring in front of the shoulder to address this, but many don't.

Personally I use a couple of wraps.

Quote Reply
Re: Seeking requests for non-frustrating valve extender / tube combos [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
Waingro wrote:

Two reasons:

-It helps prevent the extender from vibrating loose.

-The threads and shoulder of the extender may not provide a good seal. Some of the extenders place an o-ring in front of the shoulder to address this, but many don't.

Personally I use a couple of wraps.

I wrap the valve threads with at least four layers of Teflon tape and then twist it into a thread and wrap it around the base of the threads to create an o-ring seal.

I don't understand why someone would use a single wrap of Teflon tape. That's why I asked.
Quote Reply