Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
All three examples are zero-sum games: DK, Kona and elite college admissions. All three have limited fields and are based on quantifiable standards (college is a little more subjective).

If you assert the argument that white privilege prevents people of color from attending elite colleges, or competing in a bike race (sport) then eschewing the privilege and foregoing your spot in favor of offering opportunity to those same people is a direct solution to the problem of privilege.

My point is that people who tell us that we must do it never do it themselves.

I disagree with your assertion that it's either a direct solution to the problem, and I don't have any evidence one way or the other to consider your claim that "people who tells us what we must do it never do it themselves."

Or idea of individual acts of "charity" to solve an issue isn't one that I've heard put forward seriously.

I repeat that thinking of it as a zero-sum game isn't a great idea - doing so is usually someone trying to find "victimhood."

Edit: For example, see this recent interview of Justin Williams. Nothing about asking white people to give up entries, right? Just about inspiring young athletes, and giving them an opportunity to see how fun it can be. We don't need to seek out "victims" to make that happen.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 29, 20 12:39
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
Oddly, one of the sports held in greatest disdain by city dwellers is among the most diverse. Rodeo and bull riding are both extremely diverse and anglos probably make up less than half of participants. (Yet, the uninitiated still call them redneck sports! Ignorance is a hard thing to overcome.)

I learned that one of the popular celebrations of Juneteenth in the West was the rodeo, and that 1/3 of all cowboys were African-American

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
FlashBazbo wrote:
Oddly, one of the sports held in greatest disdain by city dwellers is among the most diverse. Rodeo and bull riding are both extremely diverse and anglos probably make up less than half of participants. (Yet, the uninitiated still call them redneck sports! Ignorance is a hard thing to overcome.)

I learned that one of the popular celebrations of Juneteenth in the West was the rodeo, and that 1/3 of all cowboys were African-American

Well, ... at least herniated discs are an equal opportunity injury ...

Wink

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Exactly why we can have no beneficial discussions...

We can't have beneficial discussions because both the right and left have gone absolutely bat shit crazy. If you listen to the left, you'd think every problem in the black community is caused by white people. If you listen to the right, you'd think every problem in the black community is caused by black people. The truth lies somewhere in the middle, but we'll never make any progress because each side is more concerned with trying to make the opposing side look bad than they are with finding solutions.
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
Quote:

We can't have beneficial discussions because both the right and left have gone absolutely bat shit crazy. If you listen to the left, you'd think every problem in the black community is caused by white people. If you listen to the right, you'd think every problem in the black community is caused by black people. The truth lies somewhere in the middle, but we'll never make any progress because each side is more concerned with trying to make the opposing side look bad than they are with finding solutions.

Couldn’t agree more...Thank you for doing a much better job at posting than I did... 🙂
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
Because most Africans there will be migrants coming from a football fanatic family no doubt wanting to be the next football star and the way they make friends and community is through a common sport. Cycling is foreign to them. Meanwhile their neighbours in France, Spain, Italy, Belgium non migrants are generations of cycling fanatics. That’s not rocket science.

Exactly it's not rocket science but to some that just want to play the race card on anything you don't see 'diversity'.... and by that they really mean black people... it appears to be rocket science. By and large cycling isn't a racist thing from my perspective. I grew up in poor predominately minority neighborhoods in the US and cycling wasn't on anyone's list or something we even knew about.

I cycle today and a few from the hood do as well... it was the big three for us though... basketball, football and baseball. I see and feel no limiters to cycling outside of the cost and desire to do so.
I gave up trying to have a logical argument. Apparently I just need to accept I’m racist and the European cycling community is racist. It takes time like you to change what is considered normal sport with your family and friends and maybe takes several generations when your kids or kids kids even become cycling fanatics and have the competitive drive to make it to the big leagues. Lewis Hamilton is F1 world champion and his dad was a racing fanatic. I’d say that is a whiter sport than cycling. Funny he still hasn’t answered my question why there isn’t more native Americans in world level competitive swimming?
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zooropa wrote:
Supersquid wrote:
Quote:

Couldn’t agree more...Thank you for doing a much better job at posting than I did... 🙂

I think that is an unlikely model. It's much more likely that the distribution would be bell curve like. The trouble with forum discussion is the most extreme positions tend to get attention because they are the easiest to argue with. I do it myself. But it's lazy thinking to assume those extremes are representative of the majority of one side.

I'd also say it's a worrying statement to say the truth is somewhere in the middle in the context of what you're discussing. If you really look at this from a historical aspect I don't see how you can say that. If you want to discuss it then try and rephrase it and make it less of an equivalence.
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
xeon wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
Because most Africans there will be migrants coming from a football fanatic family no doubt wanting to be the next football star and the way they make friends and community is through a common sport. Cycling is foreign to them. Meanwhile their neighbours in France, Spain, Italy, Belgium non migrants are generations of cycling fanatics. That’s not rocket science.

Exactly it's not rocket science but to some that just want to play the race card on anything you don't see 'diversity'.... and by that they really mean black people... it appears to be rocket science. By and large cycling isn't a racist thing from my perspective. I grew up in poor predominately minority neighborhoods in the US and cycling wasn't on anyone's list or something we even knew about.

I cycle today and a few from the hood do as well... it was the big three for us though... basketball, football and baseball. I see and feel no limiters to cycling outside of the cost and desire to do so.

I gave up trying to have a logical argument. Apparently I just need to accept I’m racist and the European cycling community is racist. It takes time like you to change what is considered normal sport with your family and friends and maybe takes several generations when your kids or kids kids even become cycling fanatics and have the competitive drive to make it to the big leagues. Lewis Hamilton is F1 world champion and his dad was a racing fanatic. I’d say that is a whiter sport than cycling. Funny he still hasn’t answered my question why there isn’t more native Americans in world level competitive swimming?
Logic has no place with false narratives and our social justice warriors of present.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Logic has no place with false narratives and our social justice warriors of present.

Read this book and then get back to me about false narratives:

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I hope you are not saying that Europe is not rascist?

Because Europe and the USA are profoundly racist, it is just a fact of life. Saying otherwise is living in a fantasy world and denying gravity exists, or saying the earth is flat. And of course sport (pretty much all sport, including cycling and triathlon) exists in these worlds. So of course sport reflects the values of the local society, reflecting both the good values and the toxic ones. Its kinda crazy that some people here think that this an odd or controversial idea ... but such is life ...

--
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Quote:

You're proving my point... this was written about a cyclist in a whole other time that persereved in the face of very blatant racism in the sport. This wasn't long after actual slavery and the Civil War, which was a much different time. The year is 2020... not 1890. To repeat myself... logic and false narratives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, so racism in sport and cycling has disappeared? Serious question.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

You have asked this question again and again throughout this thread and again and again you do not want to accept anything that doesn't fit your specific narrative.There is varying degrees of racism in every society on the planet but it is far less accepted than it was years ago and each generation sees more diversity across the board in every aspect of society.Guess what,Asia is a totally racist region of the world as is Latin America and Africa. Racism isn't the exclusive domain of white people.

You can keep pretending that things are the same as they were in the first three quarters of the last century but they aren't. Why do you also only discuss only one section of the global cycling or sporting community and base the situation of entire global sporting community on your view of that group ?
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Jun 29, 20 17:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

serious answer, of course not.

However I dont think cycling is the whitest sport on earth and I dont think it's the fault of white or European cyclist either. Pro sports are hard, cycling probably being one of the toughest with little reward but maybe only for a few. Hell I'd say as a sport it probably does not appeal to many white kids at least aspiring to a pro level. I dont think I have ever met a kid that said he wanted to be a pro cyclist regardless of race. While kids wanting to be in the NFL, MLB, NBA etc .. dime a dozen.
Last edited by: KKG: Jun 29, 20 17:55
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, we are in agreement.

I just discussed sports that l have some familiarity in, which is the 3 sports of triathlon.

--
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [KKG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense.

I don't literally think that cycling is literally the whitest sport, that was just the title of the article l linked.

--
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras is right.

Asia is racist, especially to other asians. Africa is extremely racist against asians (especially Chinese) Europe and the USA are not special in this case.
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [KKG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree, and l never asserted otherwise. I just focused on Europe and the USA because l have more 1st hand knowledge of those countries and cultures (generally).

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Quote:

I hope you are not saying that Europe is not rascist?

Because Europe and the USA are profoundly racist, it is just a fact of life. Saying otherwise is living in a fantasy world and denying gravity exists, or saying the earth is flat. And of course sport (pretty much all sport, including cycling and triathlon) exists in these worlds. So of course sport reflects the values of the local society, reflecting both the good values and the toxic ones. Its kinda crazy that some people here think that this an odd or controversial idea ... but such is life ...
No I just gave up trying to have a logical argument with you... Go and burn down your neighbourhood if it makes you feel better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Serious answer... racism in some aspects will be around until forever. Name anything and you'll find some element of racism if you dig or wait long enough. It's just part of life, there is no Eutopia where racism does not exist. Present cycling I don't see it as a 'thing'... there for sure but not a global sport wide thing that makes it a white sport based on racism. IMO/IME its a cultural thing with some economic ties in there. Golf was a very traditional 'white' sport that IMO was impacted greatly by Tiger Woods being a star. I have many more friends that play golf vs. ride a bike... none that do triathlon.

That said I don't belive in fighting for diversity... for diversity sake. Counting people and getting a count of skin color isn't something I'm interested in. Create an open environment and let the chips fall where they may.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Quote:

Explain these teams racing in Europe at the highest level?

https://qhubeka.org/...-into-the-spotlight/

https://nttprocycling.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I am getting confused. You want to engage but then you don't want to engage but then you want to engage? What's up here?

As you might guess, l am not nor never claimed to be an expert on world sport. The article that l linked in the OP (did you read the article? -- it is very short) mentioned a tremendous lack of black riders in European professional cycling teams. Your links are very interesting, but are you saying the statistics mentioned in OP article are wrong?

I think l mentioned this earlier, but it bears repeating. Europe has a population of nearly 750 million people. That is A LOT of people, well over double the population of the United States. Not sure exactly how many African Europeans live in Europe and how many are immigrants and how many are native born, but l imagine that both numbers are a lot more than zero.

Anyway, out of all this, according to the claims of the article (the one linked in the OP), there are just 10 black professional road riders in Europe. Why exactly this is the case we can discuss forever and never know the answer.

Just 10 black pro riders.

Call me crazy, but to me that seems low.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jun 29, 20 20:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The whole African teams came to me after the fact when I remembered Cavendish racing for MTM Qhubeka an African based team trying to get more Africans on bikes. If you don’t want to listen then believe your own racist biased narrative. I don’t want to engage with you any more...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
The whole African teams came to me after the fact when I remembered Cavendish racing for MTM Qhubeka an African based team trying to get more Africans on bikes. If you don’t want to listen then believe your own racist biased narrative. I don’t want to engage with you any more...

All good, but what does this have to do with the fact that in a continent of almost 3/4 of billion people (europe), there are just 10 pro black road riders?

By any measure, that is a very very very low number ... but somehow this is all because black Europeans don't like riding bicycles ... ?!?

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Quote:

I am getting confused. You want to engage but then you don't want to engage but then you want to engage? What's up here?

As you might guess, l am not nor never claimed to be an expert on world sport. The article that l linked in the OP (did you read the article? -- it is very short) mentioned a tremendous lack of black riders in European professional cycling teams. Your links are very interesting, but are you saying the statistics mentioned in OP article are wrong?

I think l mentioned this earlier, but it bears repeating. Europe has a population of nearly 750 million people. That is A LOT of people, well over double the population of the United States. Not sure exactly how many African Europeans live in Europe and how many are immigrants and how many are native born, but l imagine that both numbers are a lot more than zero.

Anyway, out of all this, according to the claims of the article (the one linked in the OP), there are just 10 black professional road riders in Europe. Why exactly this is the case we can discuss forever and never know the answer.

Just 10 black pro riders.

Call me crazy, but to me that seems low.

Hey, I did not read this entire thread, but there is also some level of self selection bias in terms of activities that new immigrants do when they arrive in a new country. You could also say there are zero cyclists of South Asian decent on the british Cycling team yet the English Cricket squad is filled with South Asian and Black players. How do we explain that. The German soccer team has many black players. The French soccer team is literally half black players.

If these societies were completely shutting out minorities from sport, there would be only white players on these national teams, but this is not the case. How come Dutch pro soccer has so many black players but no one on the Dutch speed skating team is black. We can say the same thing about the Canadian speed skating team. We have a lot of black players in track and soccer, but zero on our national speed skating team.

While sport barriers may exist, there is some amount of selection bias. How come there are so many South Asians in silicon valley doing tech jobs and so few South Asians doing pro sport in the USA. Its not that they are all bad athletes (if India can be world champions from time to time in cricket, they can play pro baseball if they choose to...exactly the same skills). So what about minority self selection bias. (for the record, my family is South Asian descent....I see almost none of us in cycling, triathlon, skiing, swimming anywhere in the western world, but we're all over Silicon Valley and Wall street....I can't get my ethnic group to get off their asses and do sport even though many could be fantastic athletes).

So its not all the fault of white guys holding us back.
Quote Reply

Prev Next