Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zooropa wrote:
Please give me some specifics of the profound benefits I received from the sins of whomever...

Something as simple as being able to eat your dinner in peace at a high-end restaurant with your wife and friends without another patron phoning the police–because you looked "suspicious"–with the subsequent interruption to speak with four officers of the law.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
zooropa wrote:

I am white, neither of my parents went to college. There was no land, real estate owned, passed down...no lessons of saving money, etc...my dad worked as much as possible growing up...took all the overtime he could get...just to give us a better opportunity than he had...I have done the same for my family...

Please give me some specifics of the profound benefits I received from the sins of whomever...

Sure.

Tell me more about you and your parents. What was their nationality(s), where were they from and where were your grandparents from? Where did you all live, what kind of housing and location? What did your parents and grandparents do for a living exactly? With no lessons passed on, were your parents really bad parents, or what are you implying with that? Anybody attend college? Where and what degree(s)? Where exactly do you live now? What is your job?

Wait...now you actually need to know real facts about someone before you judge them by their skin color???

Ridiculous...

And to the other reply quoting me...I am not naive enough to think everyone is dealt an equal hand...and I am more than willing to listen...if given a chance for fair debate...I have had many discussions about this recently, with all the recent events. I played basketball to pay my way through college...where I was definitely in the minority. So most of my best friends from college don’t look like me...including my college roommate...who is the closest thing I have to a brother...

And Lai, going to a high end restaurant was not a foundational privelage I was born with that gave me a head start...Dairy Queen was where it was at for me and my family 🙂
Last edited by: zooropa: Jun 27, 20 7:07
Quote Reply
Post deleted by DarkSpeedWorks [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
?

Key stroke error...now updated...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zooropa wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
zooropa wrote:

I am white, neither of my parents went to college. There was no land, real estate owned, passed down...no lessons of saving money, etc...my dad worked as much as possible growing up...took all the overtime he could get...just to give us a better opportunity than he had...I have done the same for my family...

Sure.

Tell me more about you and your parents. What was their nationality(s), where were they from and where were your grandparents from? Where did you all live, what kind of housing and location? What did your parents and grandparents do for a living exactly? With no lessons passed on, were your parents really bad parents, or what are you implying with that? Anybody attend college? Where and what degree(s)? Where exactly do you live now? What is your job?

Wait...now you actually need to know real facts about someone before you judge them by their skin color???

Ridiculous...

And to the other reply quoting me...I am not naive enough to think everyone is dealt an equal hand...and I am more than willing to listen...if given a chance for fair debate...I have had many discussions about this recently, with all the recent events. I played basketball to pay my way through college...where I was definitely in the minority. So most of my best friends from college don’t look like me...including my college roommate...who is the closest thing I have to a brother...

And Lai, going to a high end restaurant was not a foundational privelage I was born with that gave me a head start...Dairy Queen was where it was at for me and my family 🙂

Well, perhaps not getting shot in HS for walking home in a hoodie while black might be considered something helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a generality, being non black is an enormous advantage for all non black americans. Being white is an even bigger advantage. So hence the 'white privilege' term.

But if you want specifics how this certainly and definitely applies to YOU (assuming that you are non black of course), then yes l need specifics to give specifics about your life.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
zooropa wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
zooropa wrote:

Sure.

Ridiculous...

Well, perhaps not getting shot in HS for walking home in a hoodie while black might be considered something helpful.

It definitely would...but The odds of that happening are far less than other things that no one wants to address...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you be more specific? If there are things that no one wants to address, please address them.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jun 27, 20 7:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Can you be more specific? If there are things that no one wants to address, please address them.

Geez dude...don’t play dumb...incarcerations, crap public education, the percentage of children born without fathers, and more people died from shootings last weekend in Chicago than any number of people walking home in hoodies you can name without researching...

Let’s discuss Robert Johnson’s idea to spend 14 trillion in reparations over 30 years...does everyone really feel like it would all be square 30 years from now??? Would $350,000 really be the answer to everyone receiving that? Is that going to make their lives better in 30 years? My guess is it would help, but there would be plenty of people that would not take advantage of it...

Peace,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If driving anywhere by car is, say, a hundred times more dangerous than getting there by commercial air, do we first have to have near zero auto accidents before we can start working on further improving aviation safety?

--
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:

Now please someone tell me how cycling is the whitest sport on earth!

Since the OP referenced professional sports, I thought the context was professional cycling as, under the umbrella of the international governing body for pro cycling, the UCI.

Picking your three countries, E.g. there are no UCI-registered World Tour teams from Thailand, Malaysia, or Vietnam. Expanding that to domestic teams (of which there are 262), only Thailand is included has two teams (men's and women's).

Maybe all the non-euro countries just don't like the UCI and prefer their own competitions. But I thought the context here was UCI-grade competitive sport.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
If driving anywhere by car is, say, a hundred times more dangerous than getting there by commercial air, do we first have to have near zero auto accidents before we can start working on further improving aviation safety?

This!!

Exactly why we can have no beneficial discussions...just forget it...I’ll remove myself from your safe bubble...
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
but just calling everything racist without backing it up with any meaningful proof, helps nobody.

I don't think it's as easy to hand-wave away as "class". Euro pro cycling is filled with riders who came from the "working class." This isn't like elite rowing, where Oxford, Harvard, et al, feed the ranks of the elite.

You seem very sensitive to discussion of "racism," which I can understand. It's an emotional topic. Like you said the article in the OP was about "racism in cycling" yet the word only occurred once in the article, and it was more about the experience of the one rider.

I agree that true, overt racism is probably not the biggest roadblock. It's more just cultural dominance of the euro countries in pro competitive cycling. Which makes it hard to crack. (Just like it would be hard for most countries to field an American-style football team that could compete with a U.S. all-star team). But that cultural dominance exists even in countries that have lots of non-white people. Like France. Or the U.S.

I just think in the context of historical trajectory, the sport could benefit. Soccer exploded in popularity when it went from an elite sport for wealthy Englishmen to a sport for anyone. Same with track and field (and distance running). And, well, almost every popular sport now was lily-white at some point. Makes some sense since institutionalized sports originated from Western culture. But those that spread to other cultures improved (and got a lot more money).

It's worth talking about how to open up cycling. No accusations of hard-core racism. But avoiding the subject altogether because it's uncomfortable is a form of quiet racism.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zooropa wrote:
And Lai, going to a high end restaurant was not a foundational privelage [sic] I was born with that gave me a head start...Dairy Queen was where it was at for me and my family 🙂

Never said it was. I just gave you an example per your inquiry.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zooropa wrote:
Let’s discuss Robert Johnson’s idea to spend 14 trillion in reparations over 30 years...does everyone really feel like it would all be square 30 years from now??? Would $350,000 really be the answer to everyone receiving that? Is that going to make their lives better in 30 years? My guess is it would help, but there would be plenty of people that would not take advantage of it...

OK, let's discuss it.

For most Black Americans living in the US today:
-white people forcibly removed their ancestors from Africa and brought them here on slave ships
-white people kept their great-great-grandparents in barbaric conditions in slavery
-white people instituted and enforced Jim Crow laws after we fought a war about whether they should get to be considered people or not
-white people kept their great-grandparents in low-income neighborhoods through redlining
-white people kept their grandparents legally segregated into the 1960s (officially) and to the present (unofficially)*
-white people have continued to discriminate against their parents and them through the mechanisms of banking, housing associations, public school funding, the War on Drugs, mandatory minimum sentencing, racial profiling, aggressive policing, etc.

All because of the color of their skin.

If I was one of them, I'd want some reparations too. $14 trillion might be a good start.

*Almost all the small Midwest (overwhelmingly white) towns around where I live had "sundown laws" well into the 1980s. The 1980s! And I live in ILLINOIS.
Last edited by: Vman455: Jun 27, 20 13:32
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [Vman455] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly.

And getting a mortgage today in Chicago if you're white? Well, no worries, just tell us how much $ you need?
(I only say chicago because that is where I live)

And getting a mortgage today in Chicago if you're black? You can forget it !

(Fyi, this assertion is supported by very recent evidence. Yes, we are talking about you, JP Morgan Chase ... )

--
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Umm, what about elite marathon running?
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

Now please someone tell me how cycling is the whitest sport on earth!

Since the OP referenced professional sports, I thought the context was professional cycling as, under the umbrella of the international governing body for pro cycling, the UCI.

Picking your three countries, E.g. there are no UCI-registered World Tour teams from Thailand, Malaysia, or Vietnam. Expanding that to domestic teams (of which there are 262), only Thailand is included has two teams (men's and women's).

Maybe all the non-euro countries just don't like the UCI and prefer their own competitions. But I thought the context here was UCI-grade competitive sport.

Look at the title of the thread. That is what it is all about,headlines that make sweeping generalizations. The same stupid shit happened when there were headlines about "triathlon" being a racist sport. When you have people making sweeping statements about "our sport" or "the sport of" that means all of it. When people ask how to make change it is always to go to the grass roots and that is exactly what I did. If you can't take my FOUR ,not three examples and think that they would also apply across the planet then it is you who are trying to stick to one narrative and disregard evidence to the contrary. Clearly you didn't watch the fourth video nor the other video I posted in another post about African cycling teams with athletes who do race in the UCI events.
"Cycling" is not the whitest sport on earth and anyone who can't see the huge diversity across the planet is living a very insular life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
That is the title of the short interview linked below, with the focus on professional cycling and folks in power on governing bodies and the like.

Not sure if is the whitest sport on earth, but, if it is, one has gotta wonder if triathlon is right up there in a close second place ...

A kinda sobering interview with world's first female black pro cyclist:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/...st-african-american/?

I would say skiing, equestrian and generally motorsports
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Umm, what about elite marathon running?
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [Vman455] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thankyou, someone needed to say it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would give your spot at DK to a person of color?
Quote Reply
Re: "Is Cycling the Whitest Sport on Earth?" [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
Would give your spot at DK to a person of color?

Yes, you bet.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone who has ever ridden a bike and marvelled at what the world on two wheels can be then watch this movie..

(The official trailer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvjeerpxuT4

The Tour Du Rwanda and the hope that Kigali can host the 2025 UCI Cycling Worlds..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxnZuotSSc8

The UCI Level 2.1 Tour Du Rwanda 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-vnx7Qzyck

The UCI level 2.1 La Tropicale Amissa Bongo (Gabon) 2020 In French...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inrsO_Ei2dM

Another of the Olympic Channels' Africa cycling videos ( DR Congo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62J6RP3mCT4
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Jun 27, 20 18:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How this has devolved from Cycling to slavery and reparations.
These are definitely very heavy and legitimate topics.

However to answer the original question, is Cycling the whitest sport, the answer is an unequivocal no, the title is just click bate.
Quote Reply

Prev Next