Quote | Reply
Sebi walks you through his new bike for 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1am23-wuVI

1x12 and tubless for 2019
Last edited by: SBRinSD: Mar 8, 19 6:53
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi's new bike [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New bike for the first half of the year, he says. So perhaps a newer version for Hawaii (an idle brain is the devil's workshop).
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi's new bike [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking that he would use 2x for Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mmmm ... latex milk

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why?
Plenty of range in a 1x setup for Kona.

What I don't get is why the any of the pros are still using a 2x for Kona. Makes no sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi's new bike [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven’t ‘seen the data’, but how does cross-chaining come into play with these 1X setups?

What are the cons of 1X??
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi's new bike [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Haven’t ‘seen the data’, but how does cross-chaining come into play with these 1X setups?

Past testing at friction facts ahead of the ceramic speed buyout indicated that cross chaining losses were a fraction of the losses due to those yielded from smaller chainrings and cogs. So if gear range is selected to only require the smallest cog for a short portion of the course, most of the time they’ll be using something closer to the midrange of the cassette.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is definitely the major con of 1x.
That being said I use 1x 11speed with 11-32 cassette and I only get detectable increases in friction in the 11 tooth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:

Diamondback posted some data on that here: https://ride.diamondback.com/...files-1x-drivetrains

So if you run a 1x11 and line up the chain ring with the center cog, then your max misalignment of 5 would mean you lose 1.4 W maximum, compared to perfect alignment. Note, you will see about 1 W of that at when you're in the smallest or biggest cog with a 2x11 anyway.

So maybe a 0.5 W difference due to misalignment compared to 2x11.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
That being said I use 1x 11speed with 11-32 cassette and I only get detectable increases in friction in the 11 tooth.

See post above. Unless you can feel 2 W, that might just be placebo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was his previous setup, 55/42 with 11/28?

Toro Performance
Last edited by: jlentzke: Mar 8, 19 9:15
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi's new bike [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell that to the hordes of people paying $500 for oversized pulleys yielding a 1.3W gain :)

BigBoyND wrote:
TriByran wrote:

See post above. Unless you can feel 2 W, that might just be placebo

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds about right. Tiny bit of extra noise on the 11. On an otherwise silent setup. Maybe a watt at most.

As going 1x saved me 7w I’m winning
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi's new bike [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know where you can get those gumwall Schwalbe pro one tires he was showing?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
Sounds about right. Tiny bit of extra noise on the 11. On an otherwise silent setup. Maybe a watt at most.

As going 1x saved me 7w I’m winning

I've been curious about the actual watts saved with a 1x. Did you test? What was your before/after setup? I'm now considering keeping my DA9100 RD if it clears 32t (will confirm soon), switching from12-28 to 11-32, ditching the FD, and swapping my 52/36 DA9000 crank set for a 44t 3T Torno. I was hoping for more than 7 W, tbh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What frame do you have
Ditching the FD and hanger saved 8-9w in testing.
But the larger rear mech (rival 1) cost 1w.

This was on a p4, which is optimised for low yaw and track and designed around no FD.

We tested 8 other bikes I think and found 1-4w on them.

Interestingly a larger ring seemed to add another 1-2w on, depending on the frame, we compared 52 with 58, maybe the larger ring somehow offers shelter?

We also added a very streamlined chain catcher, which obliterated all gains seen by removing the FD. In this area it’s not about size but about flow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:

We also added a very streamlined chain catcher, which obliterated all gains seen by removing the FD. In this area it’s not about size but about flow.

which is also why removing the rd cost watts for some frames.
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi's new bike [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only thing i didn't understand is the change to Schwalbe... considering GP5000TL is top notch in CRR .. but the bike is so sweet.
Quote Reply
Re: Sebi's new bike [super_6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
super_6 wrote:
The only thing i didn't understand is the change to Schwalbe... considering GP5000TL is top notch in CRR .. but the bike is so sweet.

What don't you understand about $$$? That decision was clearly about sponsorship and not about maxed gains.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which is partly offset by aero gain :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
What frame do you have
Ditching the FD and hanger saved 8-9w in testing.
But the larger rear mech (rival 1) cost 1w.

This was on a p4, which is optimised for low yaw and track and designed around no FD.

We tested 8 other bikes I think and found 1-4w on them.

Interestingly a larger ring seemed to add another 1-2w on, depending on the frame, we compared 52 with 58, maybe the larger ring somehow offers shelter?

I'm on a 58cm P5, and I think the hanger is removable. 1-4w would be sad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why? What were you expecting?
It’s only a front mech. Most people would kill for 4w saved. Which IIRC is what we got on a p5

Another reason p4s rule!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does the range of my gear options get limited with the 1X? (vs 2X)
Thanks for all your info!

Say if it is windy AF climbing up to Hawi will these 1X setups regret their decision to go 1X?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So is he running tubeless tyres with a tube or should we expect an 858/super 9 tubeless?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
Why? What were you expecting?
It’s only a front mech. Most people would kill for 4w saved. Which IIRC is what we got on a p5

Another reason p4s rule!

When you say "it's only a front mech", are you saying the 4W for just the mech removal? I was hoping getting rid of a bulky FD and mechanical shifter cable, eliminating the small ring, shrinking the big ring, and having narrower crank arms (3T Torno) would see savings around 10W. Perhaps that's unrealistic, which would be good to know before spending $1000 on a crank set.
Quote Reply

Prev Next