Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seat Angle difference between 650 and 700 wheel setups
Quote | Reply
Hi, can anyone please explain to me why on a lot of manufactures bikes (read most), when they move up wheel size from 650 to 700 the seat angle changes from c78deg to c76.5deg? I have been checking out plenty of sites and this seems to be a popular occurrence. I have just reread Dan's articles and can't find an answer. I think I'm ready to go steep, and after rereading aforementioned articles I would love to go up to 78deg, but must stick with 700c due to new race wheels. Any answers appreciated. From a lovely sunny Christchurch, NZ
Quote Reply
Re: Seat Angle difference between 650 and 700 wheel setups [Scott in NZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure, but I think it may have to do with the seat tube clearing the back wheel in smaller sizes. It certainly can be done, though - I have a frame with 700c wheels and an 81 degree seat angle. The frame builder said he has built frames even steeper than mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Seat Angle difference between 650 and 700 wheel setups [Scott in NZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim Felt has the following to say regarding your question. I copied and pasted it from the front page of their website (which might I add, is *really* annoying in the fact that it resizes your browser when you visit - it makes me not even want to look at their site anymore):

Mike in San Diego, CA.
Jim,
Why did you decide on a 76 degree seat post angle on the S22? Is there any reason you didn't design a steep seat tube angle? What do you feel the advantage of a 76 degree angle vs. a steeper angle?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up a S22 this fall, just trying to finish up my research.
Thanks.
Mike,
FYI.... Our S-22 bikes come in two wheel sizes 650c and 700c... The 650c bikes come with a 78 degree seat tube angle and the 700c come with a 76 degree angle. I wanted the 700c bike to be used for either Triathlon or Time Trial. 76 degrees seems to be the magic number for 700c wheel bikes that can be ridden efficiently both on the flats as well as the hills...
I hope this has helped....
Jim Felt
Last edited by: Drinyth: Nov 4, 03 5:53
Quote Reply