Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sealant in tubulars
Quote | Reply
I just tried putting some sealant in my tubular tires.. It worked out well for my Super9 disc. I had an issue with the sealant dripping out when I was pumping the tire at first until I learned to position the wheel so the valve is at 12'oclock. However, the zipp404s are a different story. They have valve extenders and the presta valve is always open. I think the sealant will drip out if the wheel is in the wrong position? Has this happened or am I wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: Sealant in tubulars [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Sealant in tubulars [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alrite, I will give it a try!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On your 404s, while the valve is technically "open" (unscrewed) the tire pressure keeps the valve in a position which will not allow air to escape. The pressure against the valve also will prevent sealant from dripping out.

Quote | Reply
If I already glued on one of my tubular tires and it has a extender on it.. Is it still possible to put sealant in the tires? I would need to remove the extender, then the core.. and then put the sealant in , correct? I might not have enough room to work with since the 404's are 58mm deep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will need to remove the tire (and then the valve core) before adding sealant. I strongly suggest you consider swapping out the zipp extender (really bad if you are running sealant) for one of these: http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Presta+Valve+Extenders+62mm&vendorCode=VITT&major=1&minor=38 . I stole a recipe of 1 oz stan's and 1 oz slime automotive per tire off of one of these threads, it has worked flawlessly. This is in a clement cyclocross tire for what that is worth. For latex tubed tubular tires, the new cafe latex might be the ticket. Either way throw out those damn zipp extenders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have successfully added caffelatex sealant to my tires through a valve extender while mounted on
my 808s. I was able to use a 10 ml syringe with a piece of plastic tubing that fit snugly over the extender
and the syringe. Went in with very little effort as this is a very thin sealant.
Quote Reply
Re: Sealant in tubulars [aaq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you use a normal valve extender that goes over the presta valve or did you use the externder that you use after taking out the removable core?

I wonder If i can remove the core using thin needle nose pliers in my 404s...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a normal valve extender that goes over the existing presta valve. I just made sure all of the air was of the tire, used a spoke to push in the valve before starting and held the wheel with the valve at 6:00 position so it would not move and when injecting the sealant rotated the tire slightly so it would flow into the tube. The light pressure from the syringe kept the valve open.
Quote Reply
Re: Sealant in tubulars [goldentech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goldentech wrote:
You will need to remove the tire (and then the valve core) before adding sealant. I strongly suggest you consider swapping out the zipp extender (really bad if you are running sealant) for one of these: http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Presta+Valve+Extenders+62mm&vendorCode=VITT&major=1&minor=38 . I stole a recipe of 1 oz stan's and 1 oz slime automotive per tire off of one of these threads, it has worked flawlessly. This is in a clement cyclocross tire for what that is worth. For latex tubed tubular tires, the new cafe latex might be the ticket. Either way throw out those damn zipp extenders.

Interesting.. my new 2013 zipp 404s comes with the two extenders.. the regular black one which goes over the presta valve and a white one which you replace the valve core similar to the one in your link. I didnt know what the white one was for until I saw the picture on your link!
Last edited by: 125mph: Feb 4, 13 21:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run Stan's in my Vittoria Corsa CX's with my 404's. I've never had an issue of leakage with my valve extenders.

Quote | Reply
the cafelatex is nice becase it's more liquid and easier to slip in past the presta valve without removal. Keep that extender tight and it should be fine, sealant is great stuff that actually works as advertised
Quote Reply