Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sealant in Latex tubes for Ironman
Quote | Reply
I have put sealant in my latex tubes in the past. I just learned that Silca recommends not doing so because that increases rolling resistance.

What do you advise?

Thanks for your help!
Quote Reply
Re: Sealant in Latex tubes for Ironman [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Upstaterun wrote:
I have put sealant in my latex tubes in the past. I just learned that Silca recommends not doing so because that increases rolling resistance.

What do you advise?

Thanks for your help!

I think the consensus is that the success rate of sealant in latex tubes is pretty low and it's probably not worth doing. I'm a bit surprised they would claim more rolling resistance as it seems the tests I've heard of regarding the penalty of sealant haven't shown any, but I suppose if the sealant dries on the tube that could make it thicker; and if it pools and dries in one spot that would add resistance; but that's speculation.
Quote Reply
Re: Sealant in Latex tubes for Ironman [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's worth putting in sealant as well. I don't think there is a lot of difference between Butyl vs. Latex in terms of puncture resistance. Ride quality is a TON better with Latex, just gotta pump them up a lot more often. If you are racing, just gotta take the risk (just like you do with tubular, tubeless, butyl). I carry a spare butyl for racing but ride latex.
Quote Reply
Re: Sealant in Latex tubes for Ironman [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I read the testing articles from a few years ago, I started using sealant. Doesn't help with sidewall tire rips and extrusions, but well over half the flats see on group rides come from small wire punctures. Testing in the article seems to indicate that sealant could help with those.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Sealant_Test_-_Part_2_4155.html

Last edited by: shotts: May 6, 21 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: Sealant in Latex tubes for Ironman [shotts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The interesting thing about the test is that it's back in the day (2014) when we used to use a lot more air in the tires (105 in the test setup).

I've been on the fence about sealant but might try it on my next 1/2IM, I really don't think there is a big downside aside from drying out between races but looking back the last couple days it seems that lots of folks are doing latex for the day to day biking which would keep the sealant in motion more than leaving the bike to sit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twice I have crashed in corners because my front wheel developed a slow leak. I put sealeant in the front tube now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you not make your wheel tubeless? I've done that to my race wheels and run tubeless tyres with sealant.
Quote Reply
Re: Sealant in Latex tubes for Ironman [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Can you not make your wheel tubeless? I've done that to my race wheels and run tubeless tyres with sealant.

Thanks to everyone's replies. Very helpful. Yes, I could run my wheels tubeless but I am still learning about that and still need more time to learn about it and I am racing in a couple weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Installing a tubeless tire is pretty simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One downside i've experienced with sealant in latex tubes is that if the tube sits flat for a while, the latex seems to bond the tube together. Maybe that bond isn't strong enough to really matter, but it ends up making the tube look pretty weird and makes me question whether or not to keep using it long-term.

Personally, i'd go with latex tubes without sealant and a tire with a good balance of RR and durability like a GP5k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not believe we have ever talked about any increase in rolling resistance regarding sealant.. it's possible, but with the proper volume of sealant it would be fractions of a watt at most.. I know that many people's mental model here is that the sealant is in a puddle at the bottom of the tire sloshing about, but in reality, the sealant is flung out around the perimeter of the tire pretty evenly distributed and any forces due to viscous movement are going to be quite tiny..

Having said all that, we've worked with 3 Paris Roubaix winners in the last 6 years and used sealant in the latex tubed tubulars in all 3 instances. 2 times Orange Seal and 1 time Effetto Mariposa.

In time, the Effetto Mariposa dries out much more slowly and is less likely to stick the tube together as it's a synthetic latex and is less reactive than the natural latex in the Orange Seal.. but the Orange Seal has proven to be a bit more capable at sealing larger punctures.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To share a story that may have nothing to do with anything......

I once crashed in a road race sprint. Likely touch of wheels and not tube/sealant related.

But inspecting after, the front tire was flat when I got home from the hospital. I had bought the setup used from a guy who ran latex with sealant. I didn't know that. I let it go flat in the house once before that race not knowing this. My bad.

I never know if there was a tear that sealed or something and then I let it deflate like that causing the tube to glue to itself inside.........then fail in the race.

But.........despite that likely not being it........I could see that happening. If a tube with sealant fails, seals as it should........but you let it go flat in storage for a week or two.......I just don't know.

I know people do this just fine, but seeing that glued together inner tube after going to replace the tube/tire made me wonder about doing that.

If I were to do it, I would install a new tube and sealant right within a day or so of the race and keep it inflated. I may be totally off on that, but my prior fears are surfacing there.
Quote Reply
Re: Sealant in Latex tubes for Ironman [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I chuck sealant in anything and everything. Using the Orange Seal from Wiggle.
For tubeless, tubulars
and tubes. Latex and butyl

I even used the sealant for an HO mavericks tube we use behind the boat...it worked!

My buddy is using my DuraAce tubulars and had a tread leak. Wasn't a pinhole either. We put sealant in there and it's held for the past year. Risky on that one tho.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sealant in Latex tubes for Ironman [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
I do not believe we have ever talked about any increase in rolling resistance regarding sealant.. it's possible, but with the proper volume of sealant it would be fractions of a watt at most.. I know that many people's mental model here is that the sealant is in a puddle at the bottom of the tire sloshing about, but in reality, the sealant is flung out around the perimeter of the tire pretty evenly distributed and any forces due to viscous movement are going to be quite tiny..

Having said all that, we've worked with 3 Paris Roubaix winners in the last 6 years and used sealant in the latex tubed tubulars in all 3 instances. 2 times Orange Seal and 1 time Effetto Mariposa.

In time, the Effetto Mariposa dries out much more slowly and is less likely to stick the tube together as it's a synthetic latex and is less reactive than the natural latex in the Orange Seal.. but the Orange Seal has proven to be a bit more capable at sealing larger punctures.

Thank you for this! I am really appreciating many of your products!

Any thoughts on Stan's versus Orange Seal?

I am doing what a few suggested. I put in the sealant a couple weeks before the race and will for sure keep them inflated through the race and after to keep the sticking together situation that many have talked about.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply