Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scott plasma 5 Cover Wheel
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone,

I currently own a scott plasma 5 and a pair of 2012 easton 90 sl 38mm wheels. I guess they are not the most aero wheels out here so I'm considering buying a new front wheel and using a cover for the back wheel.
However, I saw that " 2009+ scott plasma frames" are not compatible with aerojacket covers. Does anyone know if I can't for sure use a cover with my bike ? I also read that a lot of disc wheels are not compatible with this frame.

Thanks you for your help
Quote Reply
Re: Scott plasma 5 Cover Wheel [strangename] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Zipp Super-9 on mine and it fits fine. However, I'm not sure about an aerojacket cover. I'm not sure why the aerojacket wouldn't fit if the rear wheel you will cover does fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To get the cover you will need a deep will in the back, like a zipp 808 or deeper. The cover will hit the chain stay otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott plasma 5 Cover Wheel [anibalplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the cover adds a litle bit of width to the wheel and does not stick to the spokes ? Otherwise I would have thought that if the wheel fits the cover fits ( its a 23mm rim not a 25).

Thanks anyway, I guess that I now have to choose between a pair of 90mm wheels ( About 1000€) and a 60mm + disc rear, however that combo is almost as expensive as what I paid for the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott plasma 5 Cover Wheel [anibalplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anibalplay wrote:
To get the cover you will need a deep will in the back, like a zipp 808 or deeper. The cover will hit the chain stay otherwise.

if the chainstays are anywhere like to Plasma 3, you are mostly out of luck. On the 3, the stays start out parallel, then flares out, then get mostly parallel again. It's that flaring that makes it hard to get a disc cover to work.

i did manage getting a cover for 60mm rim to work on Zipp 303.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott plasma 5 Cover Wheel [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

if the chainstays are anywhere like to Plasma 3, you are mostly out of luck. On the 3, the stays start out parallel, then flares out, then get mostly parallel again. It's that flaring that makes it hard to get a disc cover to work.

i did manage getting a cover for 60mm rim to work on Zipp 303.

You can see a picture of the chainstay here : https://bikeboard.cc/...0_878.jpg?1419159627

Does it look like what you experienced on the plasma 3 ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ah damn, not that cursed chainstay again. seems like you may be out of luck, unless you use a very specific combination of wheels and covers. The 303 + cover for 60 mm worked, b/c I think the width of the 303 rims (which were wider than those on Stinger 6), meant the approach from the hub endcap to the rim would be less steep (as measured along longitudinal axis of the bike). But the cover never worked on my Stinger 6.

I bought the Catalyst Wheelcovers, however, if you've never had covers before, i'd recommend you buy it once and buy it right. Making sure that the covers stay on was just too big a pain, as one could never get the NDS cover to sit properly. There are a few disc wheels on classified; that'd be how I would do it. Eventually, I ditched the 303 (and the covers) and bought an actual disc wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott plasma 5 Cover Wheel [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about buying a used one, however I live in France and there not a lot of good options out there. Catalyst Wheelcovers : can't find them online, I guess the went out of business.

I'll keep looking for used discs around me, I might get lucky if I'm patient enough...

Thank you for your help !
Quote Reply