Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Scott USA enters triathlon’s bloodstream with the Plasma
Quote | Reply
Here is the Cam Brown and Steve Larsen special for Hawaii. This bike is sick.

http://www.triathletemag.com/...D=92&pageID=1705
Quote Reply
Re: Scott USA enters triathlon’s bloodstream with the Plasma [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Available in/around Nov.(you know how that goes). I believe the Limited will be spec'd with 606's, not 404's.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Scott USA enters triathlon’s bloodstream with the Plasma [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe I have just found my new tri bike ...

Quote | Reply
That's a cool loking bike.But with my short stubby legs, I don't know if the seatmast design would work for me. Wonder how much adjustibility the clamp provides.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cool looking bike, but it will be hard to travel with. Not being able to remove a conventional seatpost, it won't fit in any of the standard bike cases.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott was already in Triathlon's bloodstream with their old-school aero bar that Le Mond used to win the TDF!

Doh! Didn't think about that - geez, and I thought that BIKE would get me to Kona for sure ... ;)

It might fit though if you take the seat and clamp off though - neat design and Scott makes some awesome stuff. I'd love to have one of their CR-1 road bikes as well. An insider at Trek I know relates it is far stiffer down low, yet rides nicer, than the Madone.

Re: Scott USA enters triathlon’s bloodstream with the Plasma [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I'd love to have one of their CR-1 road bikes as well. An insider at Trek I know relates it is far stiffer down low, yet rides nicer, than the Madone.[/reply]

Yeah, I'd confirm that feeling. The CR1 is probably the best combo of weight, stiffness, and handling on the market right now, and much better handling then a Trek (not saying much). I'd rank it a notch above (gasp!) my R2.5, which I think was better than my Kredo (just for reference, all are good/great frames).

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a couple quick observations:
  • The super narrow fit band with regard to saddle height that appears to be mandated by the integrated seat tube/seat post assembly will require a very high attention to detail when calculating the rider's saddle height: Measure twice, cut once.
  • The trend among composite aero bikes away from bolt on derailleur hangers makes the bikes more fragile. This applies to all bikes without modular, bolt-on, replaceable derailleur hangers. If the derailleur hanger is bent when the bike is tipped over in the transition area or during transport the ramifications could be substantial as compared to a bike equipped with a replacable hanger.
  • Having no gap between the seat tube and the seat post (since there is no seat post) may have an interesting effect on ride quality. That will be worth trying.
  • It is a great idea to have a bike that is both aero and lightweight while having a stiff bottom bracket. That could be an enormous breakthrough.
  • Given the potential quality of the new Shimano 105 10 speed kit the $2800 version equipped with 105 looks like an awesome bargain. Supply may be the issue as we have already experienced with other composite aero specialty bikes. If you want one, get sized and buy early and be patient.

Scott's president is stopping by our store next week with their regional rep. Kelly O'Brien to specifically discuss this bike. I really look forward to that conversation.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Scott USA enters triathlon’s bloodstream with the Plasma [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep us posted with whatever info you can share. I'd be really interested in getting to know that bike intimately

-----
"I do my best to slay" - Matt Pike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
        Interesting: clincher front, tubular rear, no cables, no shifters, no brake levers.

Why go to the wind tunnel after the bike is finished? Ah yes, marketing.

Why not go with a prototype so you can find out what improvements can be made? Oh yea, that just cost's money.

Bicycle companies always seem to do it this way.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Here is the Cam Brown and Steve Larsen special for Hawaii. This bike is sick.

http://www.triathletemag.com/...D=92&pageID=1705
Steve Larsen's bike for Hawaii, hmmm. I wonder how much money Scott agreed to give Steve if he wins the amateur race on that bike. Interesting.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: Scott USA enters triathlon’s bloodstream with the Plasma [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably similar to what Kai Hundertmark got paid when he won the same AG last year.

Sponsorship of AG athletes is nothing new. Jan Sibbersen raced AG until they switched it so he had to race pro in order to be the first guy out of the water. I'm sure Titanflex still gives Scott Molina money for his wins.

Scott certainly would rather have the bike making a big stir in the pro field than in the AG field. Look at what Normann's ride did for Kuota.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Scott USA enters triathlon’s bloodstream with the Plasma [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet Steve would get way more than whatever that dudes name was. People have actually heard of Steve Larsen and no matter how he finishes, he will certainly get attention.

When did Scott Molina last win anything (I don't consider winning your AG a win, you either beat everybody or you are not the winner)

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From a purely style-points perspective that bike is sex. But from a practicality/real world standpoint, it sucks. Transporting bikes is already hard enough- that seat post, errr mast, is going to create problems. I hope Scott manufactures their own travel case for this bike (yeah, right). Oh well- I'm not buying it, so it's not my problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott USA enters triathlon’s bloodstream with the Plasma [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% agree re: Kuota. Now I just need to laminate my receipt to the top tube...to prove I bought mine BEFORE Kona '04.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott USA enters triathlon’s bloodstream with the Plasma [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Molina won the overall AG title (at 6th overall) at IMAZ, which is equivalent to you asking what happens if SL wins AG race in Kona (both overall amateur wins, not AG wins).

And my point regarding Hundertmark was merely that paying an AGer who dominates the biking field is not anything new. Too bad Kai turned pro this year, as it would have been fun to see him and SL duke it out in that AG.

Basically, I fail to see your point about Steve riding the bike in Kona. So what if he gets paid? Sibbersen got/gets paid to have the fastest swim split...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just so you know, Kai Hundermark has a huge following in Europe with a very similar pedigree to Larson's - ex Motorola with the Yellow-one and then several years with Team Telecom. Now concentrating on triathlon and Ironman in particular. Remember triathlon is not just an American sport - the Germans are rather good at it too.

If anybody can, a Kiwi can
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Molina won the overall AG title (at 6th overall) at IMAZ, which is equivalent to you asking what happens if SL wins AG race in Kona (both overall amateur wins, not AG wins).

And my point regarding Hundertmark was merely that paying an AGer who dominates the biking field is not anything new. Too bad Kai turned pro this year, as it would have been fun to see him and SL duke it out in that AG.

Basically, I fail to see your point about Steve riding the bike in Kona. So what if he gets paid? Sibbersen got/gets paid to have the fastest swim split...
He should get paid. It is kind of interesting that in this case it is easier to get paid by being an AGer than a pro, since as an AGer is the only way he can race Hawaii this year. This is not a knock on Steve, why shouldn't you get paid for doing something you are good at, but just points out how all the rules and categories in this sport are kind of f%$&ed up. Go "amateur" for the money? Can't think of too may other sports where that would be true.

Quote Reply
Re: Scott USA enters triathlon’s bloodstream with the Plasma [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's exactly the reason the P2 morphed into the P2K. Shipping issues.

Never able to sell your bike to a taller rider? Hmmmmmmm

Does look sweet tho'

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Scott USA enters triathlon’s bloodstream with the Plasma [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]That's exactly the reason the P2 morphed into the P2K. Shipping issues.

Never able to sell your bike to a taller rider? Hmmmmmmm

Does look sweet tho'[/reply]

That's only one of the two reasons. The other is that it's easier to make it more aero with a separate seatpost. You can make that seatpost really narrow, while keeping the seattube at the appropriate width for stiffness and rear wheel coverage purposes. but indeed finding a bike box, not paying exhorbitant shipping/airline charges, not making the bike susceptible to damage in the seattube mast were all considerations as well.

My only disappointment with the Scott is that as I understand the downtube is really fat when you look from the front. Not very good for aerodynamics.

As for Kai Hundertmarck, he was of course never a triathlon pro when he did Hawaii, but I agree ex-pros (triathlon, cycling or otherwise) is something WTC should probably look at. Then again, at the top end it is often a foggy affair anyway, there are "legitimate" age groupers who only work a few hours a week and train the rest. Those are just as tough to beat for a guy with a 40 hr workweek as an ex-pro is. And BTW, Kai didn't get any bonus for his AG win from us, he just rode a Cervelo because his friend Lothar Leder told him to. So I hope Steve has a better deal (which I am sure he has since he works for Scott).

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Re: Scott USA enters triathlon’s bloodstream with the Plasma [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTF is up with that front end? Bjorn riding it?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott USA enters triathlon’s bloodstream with the Plasma [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"That's exactly the reason the P2 morphed into the P2K. Shipping issues."
=============================
My P2 (size 54 with 650 wheels) fits easily in a Trico Iron Case and an off-brand case called TR-1, but looking at the frame it's pretty obvious why it was a smart move for Cervelo to modify the design and produce the P2K. I imagine the P2 cost at least as much as the P3 to produce.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott USA enters triathlon’s bloodstream with the Plasma [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess since you can't afford to give Cervelo's to ALL the good trigeeks (how come Keirin Doe isn't on a P3 at least?) they have to scamper around looking for other rides. Other companies then copy Cervelo in full or in part (with just enough difference to keep them out of court or at least out of arguments) and the guys get to ride very good bikes. Other bikes may look similar to your bikes, but the Engineering and the incredible attention to detail put you head and shoulders above the rest in my opinion.

The Scott Plasma looks good from the pictures (who could argue with a knockoff of a P2 but in carbon) but as you point out, it's not quite there yet.

Gerard, I thought you would have been resting and recivering after TdF but obviously you are back hard at it. Can you tell us what project (bike) is keeping you busy at the moment? Or would you then have to kill us all? :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply

Prev Next