Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clydecat wrote:
Family stuff ... someone is racing in Santa Cruz, and it might be the last race i get to watch of theirs, before they move to Europe for 3 years or more, soooo .... I think I have to do the right thing.

i understand. just, if you decide to do the fun thing instead of the right thing we'll see you there ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all set, ran 2 miles yesterday and today and didn't die so think I can finish the run. Entry paid for the sprint and room book at China Peak, count me in.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
all set, ran 2 miles yesterday and today and didn't die so think I can finish the run. Entry paid for the sprint and room book at China Peak, count me in.
that's the spirit!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is NOT a Bruce Cockburn lyric! Good one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Babbit will crush both of you like an egg shell and he has at least 5 years on you two! As a former employee of BB I might just have to load up the horse and buggy and come watch the 3 of you duke it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [raceboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raceboy wrote:
Babbit will crush both of you like an egg shell and he has at least 5 years on you two! As a former employee of BB I might just have to load up the horse and buggy and come watch the 3 of you duke it out.

Duke's racing too????? ;-) Get him in and the show will get even crazier.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frenchfried wrote:
This is NOT a Bruce Cockburn lyric! Good one

tinley might beat me if he has a rocket launcher.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Careful what you wish for...I heard he asked Pigg if he could borrow his seat shifter and j-disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twilkas--
I know you're not 60, and you're far away, but I can totally see you jump into this smackdown! :)

bt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure why so many want to do a Sprint. Sprint distance is for old people.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Not sure why so many want to do a Sprint. Sprint distance is for old people.

i'm old!

plus, i'm hoping to do 3 races in 3 days. the old bones will only last so far.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

i'm old!
================================================

you don't know old.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pmcdc wrote:

i'm old!

you don't know old.
peggy

Mind over matter. I am not old yet. :) If I can try to do 5 races at Penticton worlds in 10 days, starting Sat, with the last race being a 3/4 ironman distance, no way do I think I am old. :)

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Not sure why so many want to do a Sprint.

Just as much fun as an Oly, but takes half the time.

Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 16, 17 12:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you are in training. I am 2 races done and 2 to go.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
pmcdc wrote:

i'm old!

you don't know old.
peggy

Mind over matter. I am not old yet. :) If I can try to do 5 races at Penticton worlds in 10 days, starting Sat, with the last race being a 3/4 ironman distance, no way do I think I am old. :)

You are doing all the races in Penticton including 3/4 IM. That's pretty badass if you pull that off!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, i'm never actually in training, and i'm never entirely not training. i'm doing what the 60 year old body can do.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
pmcdc wrote:

i'm old!

you don't know old.
peggy

You are doing all the races in Penticton including 3/4 IM. That's pretty badass if you pull that off!

I am trying to get the award for Multisport Legend, which is having to complete 4 races, one of which has to be the LC Tri or LC Aquabike. I have completed 2 now with the DL Sprint DU, and NDL Std Du. I have the Aquathlon on Friday and yep,I am dumb enough to try the LC Tri on Sunday in the hot weather. I have only ridden my bike once for 2 hours outside. I have never run over 90 minutes this year. So, I am testing the idea can one finish a 3/4 IM with only Olympic training. And I did say just finish, not race. My bike has been SO bad here that it shall be interesting. But am sure glad I have my 50/34 11/32 gearing from what the folks who have pre ridden the bike course have stated.

I had considered doing the cross tri yesterday but after talking before the race to folks about how technical it was, and my lack of any mountain bike skills, decided I would be smart to just keep on my goal for 4 races, especially since my A race is Friday.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck Dave!

smart call on the "cross tri" you're doing enough already.

Enjoy the journey. The grandkids have a tough grandpa to look up (and I mean up) to! :-)

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
Good luck Dave!

smart call on the "cross tri" you're doing enough already.

Enjoy the journey. The grandkids have a tough grandpa to look up (and I mean up) to! :-)

Thanks Keith. I raced against Mark Evans on Monday in the std Du, and even though he put 7 minutes on me on the bike, I still beat him by 3 minutes. And ST folks say you cannot win on the run with a sucky bike. :)

I am very very concerned about the LC tri being a 3/4 IM with no IM distance training. But, will see. Just hoping my legs do
not cramp, and my butt survives riding in my bike shorts.

Way to kick butt in the last TBF race with your broken ribs and road rash. You really showed you are tough enough

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
pmcdc wrote:

i'm old!

you don't know old.
peggy

I am trying to get the award for Multisport Legend, which is having to complete 4 races, one of which has to be the LC Tri or LC Aquabike. I have completed 2 now with the DL Sprint DU, and NDL Std Du. I have the Aquathlon on Friday and yep,I am dumb enough to try the LC Tri on Sunday in the hot weather. I have only ridden my bike once for 2 hours outside. I have never run over 90 minutes this year. So, I am testing the idea can one finish a 3/4 IM with only Olympic training. And I did say just finish, not race. My bike has been SO bad here that it shall be interesting. But am sure glad I have my 50/34 11/32 gearing from what the folks who have pre ridden the bike course have stated.

I had considered doing the cross tri yesterday but after talking before the race to folks about how technical it was, and my lack of any mountain bike skills, decided I would be smart to just keep on my goal for 4 races, especially since my A race is Friday.

Dave, with you 20 hours per week training plan, it does not matter how long your single duration workouts are for a single sport. You have plenty of volume to handle the 3/4 IM or even if you wanted the ultraman (so I am told about my own 14-20 hrs per week of training by the UM guys). You should be set.

As for legend, dude, you are running sub 40 min 10K at 60 in a tri already so you're "auto-legend". Now if we can just get your bike and swim up to your run and you'll be lapping slowman ,Tinley and Dave Scott !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
well, i'm never actually in training, and i'm never entirely not training. i'm doing what the 60 year old body can do.

You're just living "endurance junkie lifestyle". There is never a time when you are not exercising with a "performance angle'. It does not matter how broken or slow the bodies are vs former capacity, the endurance junkie lifestyle guy will race himself, anywhere any time with whatever is left, in whatever sport is at hand in every workout. You can't extract that from your DNA!!!

Recently I started doing the Jacobs ladder (basically an endless fireman ladder) at the gym as a rehab tool under the coaxing of a work colleague who used it in her rehab. Never used the machine in my life. 2 weeks later, I am the 'record holder' at my gym for 5 min climb and 10 min climb. I could not help myself....there was a chart on the wall beside the machine where you enter your 'best performance'. Well first I fumbled around on the machine to get the coordination...then I checked out what people are doing on youtube.....came back to the machine and played around a bit more.....got suckered looking at the numbers on the wall that others posted thinking, "wow, that would be tough"....a few workouts later, "I can beat those guys". 2 weeks later, I am the world champion of my local gym in an entirely useless competition probably with people who don't have the same engine as we do....I can't help help myself, even with this broken spine LOL....for the record 5 min climb 565 feet, 10 min climb 1025 ft.

Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
pmcdc wrote:

i'm old!

you don't know old.
peggy

Dave, with you 20 hours per week training plan, it does not matter how long your single duration workouts are for a single sport. You have plenty of volume to handle the 3/4 IM or even if you wanted the ultraman (so I am told about my own 14-20 hrs per week of training by the UM guys). You should be set.

As for legend, dude, you are running sub 40 min 10K at 60 in a tri already so you're "auto-legend". Now if we can just get your bike and swim up to your run and you'll be lapping slowman ,Tinley and Dave Scott !!!

Thanks. I was really proud of my 19:16 5K run at the end of the std du. For my 4 run in 2 days, it was a killer. But give me a race, and mentally I can go places others do not dare go to.

I need to play more with the bike. Since riding in my race a week ago on armadio's and being SO slow, I also need to just see if I have some bike issues. I am now riding worlds with a training wheel so totally untested stuff. Was thinking of having my studly biker friend try my bike to just see if having better wheels, etc might help. I know I am the issue with the bike,but maybe it is not 100% me.

As I have said, yes, if my times were like a 30 year old I would be a gold medal person. But at 60, folks are just blown away here on how I can run. They are also blown away on how slow I am on the bike. :( There are a few others around my age that can run, but very very few. All of these sure kill me on the bike. Will see how it goes on the swim tomorrow.

Am hoping my training is enough. But, for my butt? For my back? For my legs on the 18 mile run at the end? We shall see if I am mentally, let alone physically, tough enough. But boy is the pressure on. Everywhere I go I hear the comments about going for legend.Even the announcer talks about it when I run by the finish line area. I have talked a few other friends into going for it so it really is fun.

One goal I have for my shorter races was to again run sub 7 pace for all of them. So far I am 4 for 4. I just need one more Friday. I just measured the water temp again and looks like it will be a non wetsuit swim. The race did not plan that the water could be this hot so they are not prepared to do the non wetsuit real Aquathlon run/swim/run race which is so much more exciting than a swim/run race. But oh well, ....

Thanks for the nice comments by the way. :)

Quote Reply

Prev Next