Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scott Plasma3 premium seat post issue
Quote | Reply
I recently bought a used 2013 Scott Plasma 3 premium in good condition. The problem is with the expansion wedge bolt not providing enough torque to keep the mast from slipping (and rocking). I've had a reputable shop adjust it, but to no avail. We've applied grease between the 3 piece wedge system to allow it to move properly , put carbon paste on the mast and inside the frame, but within minutes it slides downwards. (Scott also suggested these tips). I don't want to torque beyond the recommended setting obviously, and unfortunately it looks as if I may have to return the bike as it's unusable. This seems strange for a frame with few miles on it? Any Plasma 3 owners experience this issue that might have any suggestions? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma3 premium seat post issue [TT Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The seat is not meant to be adjusted, for this frame it sits on a stop at the bottom of the travel. You should slide it all the way down and tighten it. If its too short for you it means the mast has been cut too short. If you are unable to find a piece that has been cut off that you can slide into the frame first you are screwed and need to buy a new seat post. Scott shops may have spares.

How much do you need? 1inch a couple of cm?

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes Bigcheese is correct. You most likely cut your seatpost too short. It was suppose to be cut within 5mm's of your typica seat height. Then you were to use the 1mm, 2mm, and 5mm spacers that fit into the bottom of the seatpost before installlation. The spacers should have been included with your frame. If you have cut the seatpost too short, try re-using the extra seatpost you cut off as extra large spacers if you really need the extra height.
Last edited by: masa757: Jul 14, 14 4:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TT Tony wrote:
I've had a reputable shop adjust it, but to no avail.

Hmmmmmm

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma3 premium seat post issue [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBrad02 wrote:
TT Tony wrote:
I've had a reputable shop adjust it, but to no avail.

Hmmmmmm

HAHA yeah if i had a dime for everytime I heard that.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma3 premium seat post issue [BigCheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand now. The seller has offered to send a new post. Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem with my wife's bike and did what you did, grease, etc. Best luck i had was applying some electric tape, sticky on both sides, to the top piece of the wedge, then sliding seat post and and wedge in at same time. Put the wedge and seatpost together close to where it will be when inserted so tape doesn't move. Worked like a charm, no slippage at all. They have some non slip stuff on the seatpost but it didn't go high enough or work. I did grease the bolt threads.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma3 premium seat post issue [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip. Might use it if waiting for the new one becomes too unbearable, ha!
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma3 premium seat post issue [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been interested in purchasing a Scott Plasma Premium 3 for some time. This seatpost matter has given me great pause. The last two that I’ve inquired about have been 1”-1 1/2” shorter than my center of crank to bottom of saddle rails measurement (at the center of the seatpost). I don’t have a Scott dealer near me and haven’t seen any new seat posts available online. I have some questions.

Is anyone aware of a source for these seat posts? Price?
Are the shimkits still available?
Can you safely shim up to 4 cm?
Has anyone used anything else to create a shim (i.e.-could one be fabricated from wood)?
Finally, is anyone aware of a Scott representative or a dealer that is highly knowledgeable of this particular bike and this matter?

I greatly appreciate any help as I’ve let this matter hold me back from making this purchase.

Roger

I will also post in the owners thread.
Quote Reply