Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scott Molina was a true Pro yesterday
Quote | Reply
I was obvious he was a really hurting crossing the line. He has nothing to prove. He could of quit. I hope people will appreciate the legends and don't have such high expectations. It is great to see them at the big races. Most people in the sport today do not even who blazed a trail for the rest of us. Scott showed us a lot yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Molina was a true Pro yesterday [987654] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think everyone pretty much looked like they were hurting when they crossed the line yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Molina was a true Pro yesterday [Tricky Dick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 4:45 marathon, must of felt like forever to him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess so.

But anybody who chooses to do the Ironman stuff, I applaud. It is beyond me how some folks can do what they do to themselves for that long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been a Scott Molina fan forever and agree with everything the OP stated; however, what was with his gesture as he was crossing the finish line?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone got a picture of Scott M on his bike? (Besides the telephoto-compressed one on another thread where, to the easily fooled, he looks like he's about 1 foot off the rear wheel of another rider.)

I'm curious to see what kind of bike he's riding these days. (He's famous in the Titanflex world for riding one in the past.)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Oct 12, 08 19:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He mentioned something about taking up track cycling when I saw him just after the race. ;-)

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Molina was a true Pro yesterday [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was riding a Zinn custom with S&S couplers. Somebody posted a pic of him at the bike check in. Round tubes, probably titanium (the only Zinn frame I have seen was ti).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was hurting, but he finished. I was working the finish line and was lucky to be the one to give him his lei of flowers.
In case you missed it go here and put in his last name to see his finish: http://ironman.com/...id=172&year=2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those who are aware, this was 20 years since Molina won Kona in 1988. Pretty cool to have past champions back and to fight it out in this way....next up, Dave Scott vs Mark Allen 20th anniversary edition?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Molina was a true Pro yesterday [fitzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

In case you missed it go here and put in his last name to see his finish: http://ironman.com/...id=172&year=2008
Tried to watch it, but some commercial for the Navy just kept playing over and over.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Molina was a true Pro yesterday [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Molina was a true Pro yesterday [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think so dude. It's the same link. All the finisher videos have the Navy ad, but it plays just once.
I wonder how much WTC got for that ad?
Last edited by: fitzie: Oct 14, 08 15:26
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Molina was a true Pro yesterday [JohnnyDinx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've been a Scott Molina fan forever and agree with everything the OP stated; however, what was with his gesture as he was crossing the finish line?
Looked like it was kind of a "yeah, whatever" to the guy that ran past him in the last 20 feet as he walked in. I agree, he looked pretty fried. One of my friends came in at 11:21:xx, looked just as fried, and was expecting sub 10. His bike splits dropped huge, and that's usually his best event.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Molina was a true Pro yesterday [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those who are aware, this was 20 years since Molina won Kona in 1988. Pretty cool to have past champions back and to fight it out in this way....next up, Dave Scott vs Mark Allen 20th anniversary edition?

It was so great Molina was there. What a class act.
Maybe Dave and Mark won't wait that long, but that would be great. When I talked to Mark last year he said he doesn't swim anymore.
I supposed they could do an IronWar race again, except this time they could be "friendly" competitors.
That would be cool to see them compete again.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Molina was a true Pro yesterday [fitzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you on a Mac or a PC? I could never get it to work running both Safari and Firefox on my Mac. It would only work on my work laptop (HP).

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Molina was a true Pro yesterday [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another option if the link isn't working is to go to the results page from Kona and put in the last name and click, "Watch Me Finish".

http://ironman.com/...id=172&year=2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott is probably the definition of determination. Not that his status need be amplified here as I think all are well aware of his history.

From my understanding , heat is not exactly his best ally ( sic ).

I heard Huddle mention that it was 42c in the Natural Energy Lab , when Alexander was cruising through there , so it was obviously an exceptionally hot day.

For Scott to race there on his 20th Anniversary was obviously a very special day for him and as he stated previously , his goal was to finish.............and that he did.

Respect.

Terry

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Molina was a true Pro yesterday [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Admirable that he could maintain fitness to come back to Hawaii and race successfully. I would only wish that kind of health on all the Slowtwitch clan!
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Molina was a true Pro yesterday [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not know if it will ever happen. I think Dave seems to be IM shape most of the time. The sport probably never have a rivalry like that again. The life span of the modern IM is quite short. The Macca/ Norman rivalry never even got started and its over.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Molina was a true Pro yesterday [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First I want to say that your post is in good taste and respect to a great past champion.

I have only been doing triathlon about six years so I am no authority or historian of the sport. However, I am aware Scott was one of the legends of our sport and in my relatively short tenure I recall Scott being the top overall amateur at the first IM Arizona a few years back at age 45. Also, a few years back, I recall a magazine article about Scott that had a lot of discussion regarding his struggle to get the salt/electrolyte balance correct. It is my assumption that Scott has this detail figured out.

In the past year I have had the opportunity to train with Scott and consider him a friend. I can tell you first hand that if all systems were go and he was 100% injury free on Saturday Scott would have been at the pointy end of the amateur field. Before Saturdays race in Kona I spoke to Scott and he said he would be happy to complete the run running. I knew he had been struggling with his running due to injuries for a few years. At the time I thought he was just being humble and would destroy everyone.

Bottomline, Scott still really loves the sport and training. My guess is that he wanted to participate in the sport he loves at the race that has made the sport so well known 20 years after he won it. I wonder if Tiger woods will come back and do the US Open 20 years after the last time he wins it?

John
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Molina was a true Pro yesterday [JJD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the D in JJD stand for Drury?
If so, hey John!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply