Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Score 2 -1 Me vs Bike Thieves & Kryptonite lock flaw!
Quote | Reply
I was in a Vancouver, Gastown cafe having a iced latte watching final 5 min of leafs vs bruins and I see a guy riding past the window... on my bike! I had it locked to a sign pole just outside. Took 1 sec to register, then I busted out the door to chase him down.

Game on & got to the guy mid-intersection on Pender St., grabbed his backpack strap and then from there it was a yard sale, things flying everywhere. I realize now, the seat was too high for him :)

He's on the pavement looking at me like a rabid dog, eyes-ablaze-crazed-beast, or maybe that was me idk. First thing I ask is "how did you open the lock"? He says "it wasn't closed right" which is a lie - these guys are lies on top of lies. Also says "thought it was someone else's bike" meaning who? Of course it is.

I thought it was really curious he still had the lock in his hand. If what he says is true, why would he be keeping the lock?

Anyway there was a lot on the line there. My gym stuff, a workout session I would have missed, Reynolds carbon tubular wheels - all ripe for the "picking" because of a cheesy lock!

Just saw on Youtube the Kryptonite lock model has a internal structure made of plastic. I think it can be opened with a small T-driver tool. The lock still works, but I can turn it with most anything now too.

Double locks required, if only to slow them down. This is warfare here.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Score 2 -1 Me vs Bike Thieves & Kryptonite lock flaw! [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sucks, but this is a prime reason I don't do extended cafe' stops or Z2 training rides with any locking of the bike built in. Unless it's with a group where someone is sitting with the bikes.

I've been in the market for a while for something, but every time something that seems good for a road bike kinda setup comes out.........3 months later the flaws and the thefts crop up.

I know it sacrilege to store your steed upside down. But, maybe the lock AND removing the front wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Score 2 -1 Me vs Bike Thieves & Kryptonite lock flaw! [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which Kryptonite lock model was it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of bike did you have? This is a primary reason I ride junk bikes around time although I am sure in Vancouver anything will get stolen if you leave it out long enough. I lived in Tucson for many years and petty theft was horrible but here in Clermont, and knock on wood, I haven't locked my bike up anywhere for a couple of years, I just put a cable around it and looks locked. Which lock was it btw, was it a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit??? Still the best lock out there but yes any mechanical lock with keys can certainly be picked, after all a simple metal key can open and close it in a fraction of a second. Regardless, for almost every thief it would be far simpler to just angle grind it off. Is it possible you didn't close it right?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Score 2 -1 Me vs Bike Thieves & Kryptonite lock flaw! [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no lock that can not be broken with enough time. Watch some of the YOU tubes about people with grinders breaking locks and folks walking by and not saying anything. All locks do is slow down the thief to some extent. Krypto had a problem with a BIC pen opening their key locks years ago. They have gotten better, but still no locks are 100% safe. I just don't lock my bike with anything other than my helmet strap around the wheel. I figure if it gives me three steps I will catch the guy while I am ordering coffee. Be safe out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Score 2 -1 Me vs Bike Thieves & Kryptonite lock flaw! [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I was riding a slightly tricked-out Brodie Dynamo I used through the winter. I just bought a Brodie Energy to ride for this summer. If I had been on that bike & it was stolen, I would have been under 90 days VISA Avion purchase insurance!!

Lock is a 5 year old Evolution I think - it's in the pix. As per my IG post the cafe staff was right there behind me, helping me out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwJDAQMBoKj/

In January I had a choice set of lights ripped off. After a week I recalled I was still in VISA purchase insurance window and made a claim. Thieves won that one. Although I had some pointed questions for a group standing around the bike rack. I couldn't smoke out which guy had 'em.

In March I thwarted an attempt to dismember my bike (lights etc) by a team of two thieves, one lookout and one "mechanic". That was hilarious too!

Pulling the wheel is a great idea. I'm going to put my behavioral thinking cap on and see if I can come up with something interesting.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Is it possible you didn't close it right?

In the post above, it said he can't close it right anymore. That sounds like they jammed in a screwdriver and pried it open with vicegrips, or some other brute force attack.

Check out the youtube series: lockpickinglawyer. Any video that is over 5 minutes is usually a decent lock. Often, he'll show how to pick them and how to open them with brute force. You can pretty much ignore the picking since he can open anything and the average crook will not. Disc detainer locks with all metal construction are better since at least a pick gun won't work and they won't open with a screw driver..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:

Lock is a 5 year old Evolution I think - it's in the pix. As per my IG post the cafe staff was right there behind me, helping me out.

This isn't old enough to have a barrel key and tumbler, is it? The ones that a Bic pen would open? I was surprised Kryptonite didn't go out of business after that debacle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should have stomped on this throat while he was down...

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Score 2 -1 Me vs Bike Thieves & Kryptonite lock flaw! [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
You should have stomped on this throat while he was down...

Better solutions from Master Ken:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/gyXhysmMNhE
Last edited by: rruff: Apr 12, 19 20:48
Quote Reply
Re: Score 2 -1 Me vs Bike Thieves & Kryptonite lock flaw! [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really had no desire for violence. It actually was the second time i've been in a physical altercation with a bike thief. It's such a part of the Vancouver city fabric - this open season on stealing. I have other stories around my stolen "BMW" electric and it's almost as if they are entitled to steal bikes and are due the rewards. What these guys get is chump change too. A few $100 per piece. Hmm there's an idea. Tape a $50 to the bike w/note and let them take that instead of stealing the bike - street logic is so whacked.

Anyway, I was shopping for shoes a few years ago, my Ti bike in plain view. After going through the till I saw a dude locking his bike next to mine. Another bike thief trick! Not a cloud in the sky I walked up and said "Great day to be riding"

Well he had a saw in-hand and was going at my lock! Again it takes a few seconds to register, so I pulled my phone to take a pix. As he bolted I grabbed the carrier of his bike. At that point we were across a lane of traffic, tug of war ensued with his bike in the air. One big yank he lost his footing, let go and ran off. So at that point I had two bikes, me having stolen his (previously stolen) bike.

Using my lock, I locked his bike to rack, rode mine home. Came back later that evening to grab his bike. It was an older Specialized that had recent work done, but needed more. Over the next few weeks I fixed it up grips, pedals, etc & adjusted things. Left it unlocked outside and it was back in circulation a few days later.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man. Here in freedom loving Merica you'd go to jail for theft and assault and then the thief would sue you for damages and would probably win. No one here would do any of that. We'd just call the cops I guess.
Quote Reply