Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sciatica from biking vs running
Quote | Reply
I recently started biking more since September. I’ve also increased the intensity. Over the last few days I’ve had serious lower left leg pain(achy feeling) that comes on out nowhere. The last two days it goes away in a few hours. I’m able to walk without limping and run no problem. This seems to happen more and more once as I pick up biking. I just end up running instead of biking but of no issues. I’m curious what’s with biking vs running that’s causing this. Is it just that I’m bending over more biking and possibly sitting on a nerve?
Quote Reply
Re: Sciatica from biking vs running [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a medical expert and there's not much to go on there but my personal experience with sciatic nerve pain is that it's not an "achy" feeling. It's more of a zapping, almost electric shock sensation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:
I recently started biking more since September. I’ve also increased the intensity. Over the last few days I’ve had serious lower left leg pain(achy feeling) that comes on out nowhere. The last two days it goes away in a few hours. I’m able to walk without limping and run no problem. This seems to happen more and more once as I pick up biking. I just end up running instead of biking but of no issues. I’m curious what’s with biking vs running that’s causing this. Is it just that I’m bending over more biking and possibly sitting on a nerve?

disc issue be careful

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go see your doc; mri is not a bad idea, to assess for disc issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't discount an SI Joint issue. For years, I thought I had Sciatica issues, when, it was the SI Joint creating a problem. Have the docs do a scan for that as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Sciatica from biking vs running [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question for those of you directly suggesting MRI’s/other scans... where are you located and how are you getting these scans at will? I had an MRI in August for a stress fracture but had to jump through several prior scans to get it approved. I’ve long had low back/disc issues but have never had a scan despite wanting one - I do PT and dry needling, but as far as knowing exact cause I’m not positive.
Quote Reply
Re: Sciatica from biking vs running [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
Question for those of you directly suggesting MRI’s/other scans... where are you located and how are you getting these scans at will? I had an MRI in August for a stress fracture but had to jump through several prior scans to get it approved. I’ve long had low back/disc issues but have never had a scan despite wanting one - I do PT and dry needling, but as far as knowing exact cause I’m not positive.

I think when people post things like that what they are really saying is go see your GP and ask him to send you for an MRI, if s/he doesn't just do it anyway.

I messed up my hamstring in a bike race in August. I can run but it aches the entire time. When I try to stretch it my foot goes to pins and needles. Three months later and no change. I don't have the classic sciatic nerve symptoms but my GP sent me for an MRI just in case. I didn't have to ask.

MRI's have become very available and reasonably inexpensive for what they can diagnose. Most doctors like them by default and most insurance companies have no issue paying for them.

And a pulled hamstring takes a very long time to heal, BTW.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Sciatica from biking vs running [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that what you have? A pulled hamstring? I am dealing with what sounds like a very similar issue and have tried everything... currently on a 9-month wait list for an MRI.
Quote Reply
Re: Sciatica from biking vs running [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doc said mine is either pulled or has micro-tears, he can't really tell, but the treatment is the same. Stretch, NSAIDs, and take it easy. I still run, but no hard efforts, no speed work, not trail running - just basic easy base mileage and I stop if it pain increases. The worst part of the run is taking off. The first 10 or 15 strides are stretching the muscle. After that it goes back to the normal low level constant ache.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Sciatica from biking vs running [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:

Never really had a problem with insurance holding up an MRI. I guess I might be lucky with the area I live in - Raleigh-Durham.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting any type of diagnostic testing is a terrible ideas and a waste of money. Nothing about your condition requires screening for “red flags.” There was no trauma. Your MRI will just show degenerative changes consistent with your age. Anyone who doesn’t know how to assess/treat you without imaging isn’t worth your time. It’s cases like this where physical therapy shines. You have a problem, maybe with cycling, maybe something else that cycling aggravates. Either way a CLINICAL examination is what’s required and then follow that with appropriate conservative care. Save the MRI for fractures, dislocations, cancer and presurgical consultations.
Quote Reply