Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Schwalbe ironman tubulars
Quote | Reply
I've been running these tires since summer on my tri bike and love them. My question is I put them on my road bike and these tires have not lost any more than 5 psi in over 2 months. Have they changed something that I have not read? On my shiv they Prob drop 20 psi in a couple days
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe ironman tubulars [SlammedStance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm - I drop 20 PSI overnight.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you using sealant? I noticed my Vittoria tubulars holding air much longer when using sealant.

Want to cut one open and see if they switched to butyl tubes? As the current best option for tubulars, I'm sure Slowtwitch would kick in enough to buy you a new tire.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe ironman tubulars [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No sealant. I'm saying put on the chuck make one pump to pop valve open and its at 120. Easily 2 months now. If I cut open how would it look?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SlammedStance wrote:
No sealant. I'm saying put on the chuck make one pump to pop valve open and its at 120. Easily 2 months now. If I cut open how would it look?

You put tubies or clincher version on your rode bike?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe ironman tubulars [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thread title says tubulars.

I have noticed that my GP4000s tubulars (w/ butyl) hold air better than any other tire/tube combo I have used. I actually love them for the "backup" bike because I am always 30 seconds from heading out the door. Obviously if the changed the Schwalbes to butyl, they would lose their appeal as race tires.

/kj

Last edited by: kjmcawesome: Jan 12, 15 9:31
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe ironman tubulars [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have tubies
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run the ironman tubulars in the past and would lose 10-15psi overnight. Only explanation for your situation is butyl. I hope that's not the case though :/
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe ironman tubulars [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it does NOT air
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I called schwalbe and they tell me it is latex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man beats me?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SlammedStance wrote:
So I called schwalbe and they tell me it is latex

I wonder if they have ever warrantied a tire because it holds air TOO well...

/kj

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With butyl tubes I could see that being possible...

My Schwalbes are latex and hold air like latex tubes. Sealant may have made a slight improvement in the ability to hold air in some setups, but nothing drastic. I have never had latex tubes that held air overnight enough to ride the next morning.

Kenda Volare, Vittoria EVO CX and Schwalbe IM are the only latex tubulars I have played with. Kendas held air the best. I could lose 10 psi during a ride with the Vittorias.

*derail* I'm a proponent of sealant use in all latex tubulars. The last EVO I used, we jammed in at least a dozen tacks, nails, and awls (in the name of science) in the tread and a few sidewall hits too. Everything sealed except a nail through both sides of the sidewall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As you know,Schwalbe is not terribly transparent on the issue of the tube material for their tubular tires.

FWIW, the Schwalbe One tubulars hold air as you describe and the one (24 mm; P/N 11100739) I've cut open had a butyl tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe ironman tubulars [Quattroporte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quattroporte wrote:
FWIW, the Schwalbe One tubulars hold air as you describe and the one (24 mm; P/N 11100739) I've cut open had a butyl tube.

*shudders*

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More like "disappointment" given the number I have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes and looking to be very durable. Only one flat in the last 6 months, and that was from a piece of broken bottle that caused a cut large enough no sealant would fix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Butyl?!

No way......

I'm glad that my IM front and One rear need daily pumping. I would be upset to get the ol' switcharoo.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe ironman tubulars [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Butyl?!

No way......

I'm glad that my IM front and One rear need daily pumping. I would be upset to get the ol' switcharoo.

Wow so it sounds like...there may indeed be random switching of inner tube material?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom Anhalt can't be the only one getting the latex versions.

Mine were Ebay purchases about a year ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe ironman tubulars [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
With butyl tubes I could see that being possible...

My Schwalbes are latex and hold air like latex tubes. Sealant may have made a slight improvement in the ability to hold air in some setups, but nothing drastic. I have never had latex tubes that held air overnight enough to ride the next morning.

Kenda Volare, Vittoria EVO CX and Schwalbe IM are the only latex tubulars I have played with. Kendas held air the best. I could lose 10 psi during a ride with the Vittorias.

*derail* I'm a proponent of sealant use in all latex tubulars. The last EVO I used, we jammed in at least a dozen tacks, nails, and awls (in the name of science) in the tread and a few sidewall hits too. Everything sealed except a nail through both sides of the sidewall.

I was a fan of sealant until I replaced a latex tube in a clincher. It was just a few chunks and blobs after about 6 months. Another odd thing I have noticed is that latex tubes in clinchers tend to hold air better than latex tubes in tubulars (Vittoria latex tube vs Vittoria tubular).

It's really tough to find any data or information about what tubulars are actually good. The Ironmans seemed to be the best all around, but a potential butyl tube totally kills this. Back to the trusty EVO despite potential aero implications. I would love to try the Specialized tubulars as I am a huge fan of the new Turbo clinchers, but I have a hard time believing that any 24mm tire is more aero than a 21mm Vittoria EVO.

/kj

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar experience here as well... I have two 24 mm's and they feel solid after several weeks with a couple of pounds lost. I had them mounted on stretching rims and checked them after seeing this thread.
Last edited by: DonP45: Jan 14, 15 10:48
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe ironman tubulars [DonP45] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So anyone have a chance to ride the new Zipp tubulars? Those seem to be the only other option that has actually been tested.

/kj

Quote Reply

Prev Next