Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
School me on vehicle bike racks
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a proper bike rack for our SUV. Used to have a super cheap allen sports strap mounted 2 bike rack, but it's time to upgrade.

I have a 2 inch hitch installed and am looking to learn about what to look for since I know nothing about them. I'm definitely looking to be able to lock the bikes.
Pros and cons of different mounting systems? Don't think I'm looking for a roof rack or a sea-suckr.
Anything else I should know? Any gimmicks to skip?
Quote Reply
Re: School me on vehicle bike racks [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a KUAT NV 2.0 for $450 new on Ebay and would never recommend another rack. This rack has everything I need and I love using the stand for bike maintenance and cleaning. Buy it and never wonder if you should have bought a different.

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kuat Sherpa 2 for bikes less than 60 lbs each and NV 2.0 if the bikes ate more than 60 lbs each (like an e bike)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two best racks are 1up USA and Kuat. I don't think you will find anyone who regrets their purchase of either. I have had both and prefer the 1up USA for its light weight and ease of storage. You can't go wrong with either one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 5 bike rack that uses the 2" hitch receptacle. Its really a 4 bike rack. So buy a rack that advertises 1 more bike than you need unless all the bikes are very similar.

The other downside is swapping out your deep wheels to transport this way.

Then buy a good coated 10' or 12' cable and padlock to lock the bikes to the hitch.

That is probably the best for an SUV.

I also have a roof mounted rack for my car which is "ok" but would probably be a pain on an SUV. Getting the 3'rd bike on the rack in the center of the car can be a challenge.

I also have a bed-mounted rack for my truck which is my favorite, but not an option for your SUV.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on vehicle bike racks [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kuat hitch rack here, the triple bike one. No issues yet, works, beefy.

IMHO hitch is the way to go for SUV's of any kind. Even for "cute yutes" due to the much higher lifting required for roof racks. I'd say roof racks should mostly be used on cars with an accessible roof (Accords, Civics, Altimas, Maximas, etc..).

As for hitch versus hatch strap racks for SUV's and wagons? I find the strap racks look like they'd damage paint and stuff on the car, plus, you'd have to remove the bikes to open the hatch. With good hitch racks, you can tilt it with the bikes on it to open your hatch.

So, to me, the mid-range and nicer name brand hitch racks are the way to go. Look for ones that hold the tires/wheel and NOT the frame. I'm not a fan of models that rely on rubbing/exerting force on the frameset to hold it in place.

Also, don't run the loosey goosey cheapo included slip through hitch pin. Use or buy the upgrade thread in ones with a lock on the end.

And buy a nice thick steel cable or chain to run through your hitch and around the frame of the rack. People steal hitch racks. I went huge cable with coating so I could also loop it through the bike frames while they're on the rack for post-ride food/beer enjoyment purposes with a bit of theft deterrent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be aware that any bike rack that obscures your license plate, when the bike is on, can result in a ticket.
I have never seen a bike rack that didn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonathan Lee and Steve go into depth on bike racks in MTBPodcast episode 42. Applies to all types of bikes. Well worth the listen.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on vehicle bike racks [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

Then buy a good coated 10' or 12' cable and padlock to lock the bikes to the hitch.
Good tip regarding wheels. I have 404 front and 808 rear.

Also do people generally not trust the included security? Or is that in addition to?
Quote Reply
Re: School me on vehicle bike racks [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Also, don't run the loosey goosey cheapo included slip through hitch pin. Use or buy the upgrade thread in ones with a lock on the end.

And buy a nice thick steel cable or chain to run through your hitch and around the frame of the rack. People steal hitch racks. I went huge cable with coating so I could also loop it through the bike frames while they're on the rack for post-ride food/beer enjoyment purposes with a bit of theft deterrent.

#1 after market? Or from the rack manufacturer?

#2 pardon the ignorance but if there is a hitch pin where does the cable run through the hitch portion?
Quote Reply
Re: School me on vehicle bike racks [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prefersdirt wrote:
Jonathan Lee and Steve go into depth on bike racks in MTBPodcast episode 42. Applies to all types of bikes. Well worth the listen.
Oh definitely thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kuat all the way. I've had both the NV 1.0 & NV 2.0 (don't confuse version 2.0 with a 2 bike rack).

The NV version 2.0 is the recent upgrade to the original NV. While both racks are great, the NV 2.0 is well worth the extra $$.

I kept the NV 1.0 and bought the adapter so now it is my 4 bike rack. I use the NV 2.0 when I only need to carry 2 bikes.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kuat and 1up are both in the "you won't regret it" category. I prefer Kuat for the hitch tightening mechanism, ease of tilting, and integrated cable locks. But 1up also has a lot of long-term fans. For Kuat get the NV 2.0 unless you know you know you will only ever need two bikes, both under 40 pounds; in that case the Sherpa could work.

Recently I have been using the new Saris MTR. It has some unique features like trays that pivot vertically when you don't have bikes on the rack (making it easier to access the back of the car, and improving visibility of brake lights). But the hitch tightening and tilting mechanisms are not as easy to use as on the Kuat racks.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on vehicle bike racks [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
Be aware that any bike rack that obscures your license plate, when the bike is on, can result in a ticket.
I have never seen a bike rack that didn't.

I've thought about that but never run into anyone that has had that happen. Obviously doesn't mean it has not happened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

#1 after market? Or from the rack manufacturer?

#2 pardon the ignorance but if there is a hitch pin where does the cable run through the hitch portion?

The cable runs through the holes drilled in the tow package generally on the side of the receiver where you would attach the safety chains when pulling a trailer.

Yes you want an aftermarket cable and lock to you can lock the bikes and rack to the vehicle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thule T2 Pro XT Hitch Bike Rack. Versatile rack for road bike thru fat tire (5" wheels).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an 1Up rack (single bike) and love it. Very well made and I'm always getting compliments on it. My favourite feature is that it secures your bike by contacting the tires only which is why I chose it over the Kuat. Kuat has ratchet straps on the rims, which don't work with my wheels: rear disc and front HED Jet which is a thin fairing I dont want a hold down strap across.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had Thule and Kuat. The Kuat looks nice but is harder to use than a 1UpUSA

I strongly recommend the 1up rack. Super easy to use. Less than 10 seconds a bike to get fully secured. Maybe 5 if I'm in a hurry. No straps to mess with.

Super solid. Nothing to rust. Built like a tank. No reason to get the heavy duty version unless you hauling a few ebikes.

https://www.1up-usa.com/...category/bike-racks/
Quote Reply
Re: School me on vehicle bike racks [DKMNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody have a recommendation for a good one for three bikes that also is pretty light? I've got a steel Yakima or Thule (can't remember off the top of my head) and the thing weighs a ton just empty. I sometimes have to leave it on for long periods of time and it makes my Xterra sag a little in the back.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Aug 28, 19 14:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:

Good tip regarding wheels. I have 404 front and 808 rear.

Also do people generally not trust the included security? Or is that in addition to?

I use a 1Up, for my TTiR bike with 808 wheels. Not a problem. Here's a picture of my old P5 and my friend's P5 on it.

It's compact both when up or down (doesn't stick out so much) unlike the kuat, thule, yakima. It's lightweight, easily put on or taken off with a half turn of included special wrench. Can easily be expanded to 3 or 4 bikes.

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: School me on vehicle bike racks [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Anybody have a recommendation for a good one for three bikes that also is pretty light? I've got a steel Yakima or Thule (can't remember off the top of my head) and the thing weighs a ton just empty. I sometimes have to leave it on for long periods of time and it makes my Xterra sag a little in the back.

Check out the 1Up, you can buy an attachment for 3rd and 4th bike
https://www.1up-usa.com/...ty-double-bike-rack/
and attachment for additional bikes
https://www.1up-usa.com/product/rack-add-on/

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: School me on vehicle bike racks [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:

I have sold a few people on the Yakima Dr. Tray. It's about the lightest 2" rack out there, but heavy duty. You would just add the +1 and have yourself a nice triple. If you have a USA Cycling or IMBA membership, you can get 40% off.
Last edited by: dangle: Aug 28, 19 14:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
I'm in the market for a proper bike rack for our SUV. Used to have a super cheap allen sports strap mounted 2 bike rack, but it's time to upgrade.

I have a 2 inch hitch installed and am looking to learn about what to look for since I know nothing about them. I'm definitely looking to be able to lock the bikes.
Pros and cons of different mounting systems? Don't think I'm looking for a roof rack or a sea-suckr.
Anything else I should know? Any gimmicks to skip?
Asked my Go To Guy, Gordon of VeloHangar in Carlsbad CA for bike rack advice. Thule T2 Pro XT was his recommendation, the 2 bike version. Sturdy, no nonsense rack. No bounce, no jiggle. I have it on an '06 4Runner, it's worked well for road and mtb's. also a fat tire bike. I do love this bike rack, and it's worked well for us. Favorite feature is the drop down to let you open the rear hatch.
Caveat: my 06 vehicle doesn't have a backup camera, so cannot speak to that or the license plate issue. The cable lock won't stand up to bolt cutters, but then, many locks won't.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: School me on vehicle bike racks [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the bolt cutters clarification. I'm apprehensive about security. I'm used to having the bike inside the SUV. However we leveled up to 2 kids so the 60/40 seat split strategy is not an option for us anymore.

It's not that my bike is super valuable it's just hard to find. That's all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a Kuat Sherpa 2.0. Love it as it's very light and easy to take on and off and move around the garage. Btw, this is what happens when you get rear ended at a stop light by someone slow rolling and looking down at their phone. She was probably going less than 5mph when it happened.

Quote Reply

Prev Next