Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Save Garmin 920xt settings?
Quote | Reply
TL;DR – Is there a way to save the settings on a Garmin 920xt and reapply them following a factory reset? I want to do this b/c I have a number of customized activities and don't want to take pictures of every screen and reapply all the customizations after the factory reset. Why factory reset you ask? Barometer troubles, but see more below if you are interested.

I'm on a replacement 920xt (previous barometer issues as many others have seen – altitude pegged at 22,000 ft or some such). My replacement has been fine, but in late Jan, baseline elevation went from 550 ft (correct at my location) to minus a few hundred feet. I thought that it might resolve, but nope, still below sea level after three weeks. Still, this is a different error than previously and I'm hopeful that a factory reset will make things right; a soak/scrub of the barometer port did not help. So, before contacting Garmin, I plan to do a complete factory reset. BUT, I don't want to lose all of my activity customizations. Is there a way to save some configuration files from the 920xt and reapply them once the factory reset is complete? Browsing the folder structure on the 920xt offers some promise...the 'MLTSPOT' folder holds four .FIT files, each of which corresponds to a customized multisport activity (4DUALTH.FIT, for example for duathlons (I guess)). Also SETTINGS.FIT in the, uh, SETTINGS folder. A few others also seem to have clear relationship to functions (a number of .FIT files in the SPORTS folder correspond to the single sport activities I have on the 920xt, for example). But there is also a DEVICE.FIT in the root folder – is that a master file that must be aware of the subfolder files? Anyone ever try this? I mean, I'm going to do it soon, but would rather benefit from the trial and error/advice of others before just wildly giving it a go... Stupid Garmin...
Quote Reply
Re: Save Garmin 920xt settings? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried it on my Edge 520 and my 920xt. Worked in both cases. The only downer was that the history of vo2max did not get saved. But it's kinda garbage anyways.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply