Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saucony Fastwitch 9 vs. Skechers Razor 3
Quote | Reply
I’m between two shoes as my next shoe for 70.3 training and racing. I’ve been using On Clouds (version 1) at 7.0oz. Now that version 2.0 is at 8.1oz, I’m looking for something lighter than 8oz.

Things I liked about On Clouds were the comfort of the upper and elastic laces. I never found the fit sloppy. I also liked the responsiveness. Finally, I never thought there was a lack of cushioning.

I’m considering the Fastwitch and the Razor 3 (both 6.4oz) as a replacement. I’ve seen some say they use the Fastwitch for everything up to marathons. Others say it’s only good for racing up to 10k’s. It gets praise for responsiveness.

The Razor 3 is apparently very versatile. Many use it for up to marathons. Apparently it does have good responsiveness and energy return, but is well cushioned. It has very little arch though, which might not be great for me as I have flat feet (never had an issue with foot pain though).

Any feedback on these two would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony Fastwitch 9 vs. Skechers Razor 3 [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I race in the Fastwitch. Been in them for the past 8 years or so (used about 4 models of them). Just broke out my 8's for a HM recently. I've run several Ironman and several marathons in them as well in addition for shorter distance tri and running races. I feel they are responsive, however, wouldn't call them very cushiony. I only use them for races and maybe a speed workout a week or two ahead of a big race to get the calves and legs used to them. They really feel fast on race days for me. I can't imagine racing in anything else.

I've never run in the Skechers so can't comment.

tom
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony Fastwitch 9 vs. Skechers Razor 3 [tallytom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For reference what do you use as a trainer? I’ve heard people say On Clouds don’t have cushioning, so I’m wondering if I could train and race in the Fastwitch as my primary training shoe? Most of my training runs are 5-10 miles and my weekly mileage is 15-20 miles.

tallytom wrote:
I race in the Fastwitch. Been in them for the past 8 years or so (used about 4 models of them). Just broke out my 8's for a HM recently. I've run several Ironman and several marathons in them as well in addition for shorter distance tri and running races. I feel they are responsive, however, wouldn't call them very cushiony. I only use them for races and maybe a speed workout a week or two ahead of a big race to get the calves and legs used to them. They really feel fast on race days for me. I can't imagine racing in anything else.

I've never run in the Skechers so can't comment.

tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run in Asics Nimbus for the most part, with an occasional use of Saucony Triumph. I also run in New Balance Vazee Pace (now discontinued, but stocked up) for some speed work and harder tempo runs where I want a light shoe, but not as light as the Fastwitch's. I run about 5-6 days a week.

I would not use the Fastwitch's for daily training runs, but that's just me. I'm not even that heavy 150++ lbs. at any given time.

tom
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony Fastwitch 9 vs. Skechers Razor 3 [tallytom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the additional information. You and I are around the same weight and not really relatively heavy, so I’d say based on what you’ve said the Fastwitch wouldn’t be used as a trainer. I appreciate your feedback. It was helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used the Fastwitch on and off for the last several years. I would not use that shoe as a daily trainer.

In my opinion it's a bit firmer than other lightweight trainers in the same class. It's a good shoe but not soft enough for me to use every day.

I normally run in a Mizuno Wave Rider.
Quote Reply