Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saucony Fastwich 9
Quote | Reply
I have been training in Saucony Kinvara and racing in Saucony Type A8 for some time

I really like the feel of the racing flat (Type A8) as opposed to the training shoe (Kinvara). I was considering the Saucony Fastwich, which is also in the road racing category, as a everyday trainer for 25 - 30 miles per week

Am I skating on thin ice here risking injury?

I am 5' 7", 140 - 145 lbs
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony Fastwich 9 [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fastwich although classified as a racing flat, is more on the lines of a lightweight training shoe with a good bit of stability built in. You will be fine training in this shoe if you like it.

With that said, the fastwich is nothing like the kinvara or the A9 so if you have the opportunity, take them for a spin before buying them.
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony Fastwich 9 [mdgreene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks... I think I may give them a try

I don't know if it makes a difference but the fact that I am a small athlete (weight and size) would seem to allow me to handle a shoe with a little less cushion and stability

I feel "clunky" in the Kinvara as compared to the A9. The Kinvara is a great shoe and I like it but the A9 feels better overall
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fast twitch is my go-to for tempo runs and races <=13.1 mi. Big fan. My impression is in agreement with most online takes - really lightweight airy feel but actually offers pretty high ankle/arch stability for that weight. Its a firm shoe to be sure but its not too too bad. I think from what you said you would like it but I wouldn't do mega miles or long runs in it at least at first. IMO totally different from kinvara asides from perhaps saucony toebox and saucony feel to the heel and heel/drop. Only big complaint is would not expect to get much mileage out of it. Upper is tissue paper but really nice - most breathable and water penetrant shoe I have tried. Bounce in the heel really starts to flatten out after maybe even 100 miles. Very flexible in the toe (midsole?) so when you toe off its pretty noticeable how flexy it is. Try it on a short run, they are cheap enough to go though em fast.

Edit- also you are the same weight and height as me.
Last edited by: rdubs: Aug 12, 19 8:58
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony Fastwich 9 [rdubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks... I think I will get a pair an try them for my track workouts first then move into some road work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
same size as you.
Just got them two months ago. first saucony and first fastwich running I have ever had.

They are great I use them 40-60 km a week.

Shoes don't cause injury as well FYI.

If you have a mindset a shoe will hurt you then it probably will.

Some have different shoes and the same injuries. as well Some with the same shoes have injuries in different places.

You just need what you like and what fits your toe bed.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony Fastwich 9 [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great info and advice... Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I was 5' 7", 140 - 145 lbs.

I am 6' 0" and depending on how well I'm eating and where I am in a training cycle 170-180lbs. I am now on my third pair of Fastwitch and absolutely love them. I use them for most runs except 12 miles and longer when I revert to an older pair of Brooks just for a bit more cushioning. I have raced in them for all distances from 5k to marathon and IM marathon. I'm currently breaking in a new pair, when the older ones go I will be on the phone to my local running shop and asking them to order a new pair for me. I tried a pair of Saucony Guide as I overpronate quite badly but didn't get on with them.

Just a note - your feet will probably get wet if you run in wet conditions regularly (I live in Scotland). I'm not totally convinced the drainage holes work as well for getting water out as they do for letting water in :) If you have good socks that fit well it's not likely to cause you a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony Fastwich 9 [hiscotsg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking forward to trying these out but it sounds like I may want to keep a pair of Kinvaras around for long run days
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if the FT 9 differs a lot from the FT 5 I had--but loved the shoe. I raced a full season on it including Ironman/Kona. Problem with Kona was feet swelling so it got TIGHT and due to the overlays at the time, my feet were shredded. I would venture to say it is a great shoe for racing (yes stable/supportive for me)...150 lb / 5'9"-5'10" at the time. I'm older so I've shrunk and gained like 3 lbs since that time.

I'd wouldn't hesitate to wear them again had Nike not improved their lineup the past few years with better quality shoes than what the had at FT 5 time period.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
I'm looking forward to trying these out but it sounds like I may want to keep a pair of Kinvaras around for long run days

Same here! Big volume would be for the Kinvaras, quality workouts for the FTs (I am ordering a pair soon) and (in my case) racing for the Nike Vaporflys (which, IMHO do work as stated, at least for my running style and speed).
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony Fastwich 9 [nprazeres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many of the guys I run with run in Vaporflys
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony Fastwich 9 [hiscotsg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new one, (not sure what number) doesn't have the holes so expect dryer feet!

https://acprestation.se/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used the Fastwitch for racing and speedwork. Have run several marathons in them. Totally different feel than the Kinvaras. Not a true racing flat, but lightweight and pretty firm. Good luck! I am a smaller runner and it was plenty of shoe for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony Fastwich 9 [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have completed 3 runs (9, 6 and 4 mi) in them so far. All dry conditions on pavement. They are certainly lighter than the Kinvara. I haven't noticed any unusual pain or aggravation so far

There is a compact gravel trail that I like to run part of my long runs on. Haven't ventured there yet. Not sure if the fastwich is the shoe for that.
Quote Reply