Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sasquatch bike fit advice
Quote | Reply
Hello,

This is my first post. I joined after reading some of the great articles on bike fit here, but even then I'm just not able to understand or make an informed decision about choosing the right bike for my fit.

Me:
6'9" Sasquatch (now tiny at 200lbs). I ride a custom Zinn road bike and am looking for my first Tri bike. I got a fit at a local fitter (using a purely custom adjustable bike) but unfortunately hadn't read the post here about fit expectations beforehand and haven't gotten much from my fit except the measurements and 2 bikes that I could fit on.

Goals:
What I'm trying to figure out is why my fitter suggests that only bikes at 600+ stack height will work but why ones at 590 doesn't?

My Fit:
px: 516 (to center of armrest) - 471 to back
py: 802
Saddle height: 915
saddle setback: -72
pad width: 220
Saddle: ism breakaway

aerobar: 3t ski bend.
crank length: 175

His recommendations:

- Scott Plasma 10 in XL: This frame would work with a 110 stem, and 40mm of pedestals on a handlebar that has 60mm of pad stack. The stem would have to be set-up as a +6 not a -6.

- Felt B-series 61: This frame is a bit longer than the Scott, with a 90 stem, 50mm of pedestals.

Isn't there more?
However after looking around I found that several other manufacturers had closely sized frames. Coming across these forms I found mention of the velogicfit system and purchased a month just to see the results (that report is attached).

I guess what I'm confused about is why after asking him about these minor differences he still wouldn't suggest say the Specialized shiv which is only 10mm smaller stack? Am I already at the far end of the spectrum and that last 10mm will push me to far in an undesirable direction? Additionally since this is my first tri bike, as I become stronger in that position, how would that change my fit (e.g. push me farther from off-the-shelf fit or closer to it)?

Appreciate any advice given and I apologize if I'm asking something already posted before (I promise l searched before I posted!)

-Ash

Quote Reply
Re: Sasquatch bike fit advice [sixNine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PY of 802 is huge. But then again, you are pretty huge too. PX is pretty middle of the road for reach, but seat height over 90 and PX over 800 is going to require a bike with a traditional stem and high stacking aerobars, if it is even possible.

You are essentially working with 3-4cm of stem clamp height, 3-4cm of steerer tube spacers, aerbars with 5-6cm of built in stack, 8cm of aerobar pedestals, and a stem that gives you another 2-3cm of rise. Best case scenario, you can come up 25cm but you only need about 20, so in theory, bikes down to a frame stack of 55 SHOULD work, but I would get the stack as close to 60 as possible. (Cervelo at 588 is good, Shiv at 590, etc)

I would never expect a proper fit to become more slack or taller in stack. Either we nail it the 1st time or the rider will gradually gravitate forward and down. Neither of which presents a problem for you....it's getting you up there in the 1st place that's tricky! (We have to get the pads 20cm over the top of the head tube!)
Quote Reply
Re: Sasquatch bike fit advice [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks freestyle,

So if I understand correctly, everything in that ~600 range should work. And as I grow more accustomed to the aero position, my pad height will just go down?

An concerns with having this much pad height?

What I'm trying to decide now is do I get used or put the while Tri bike thing on hold until I can get custom. Ideally whatever I get now lasts me through the next couple of years and let's me know if I ever want to go the full Iron distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello sixNine, gee you sound exactly like a guy I fit two years ago! At least for road bike, and I steered him towars Zinn.

Agree with what D Luscan says, but one last thing to 'worry' about and that is seatpost length. You are going to be on the far end of seatpost extension, and although the 'front end' may work out to your X/Y, your saddle height may be close to or beyond maximum insertion. Some Production seatposts are the same length from 56cm to 61cm....

I just happened to have setup a rider with a 930mm saddle height on a B14, and it just barely made it. There was more post down inside the frame on the Cervelo 61cm and that made me feel better.

Would always want post material at least 2cm below the clamping area, if not more regardless of where the minimum insertion line is. Luckily you're only 200lbs, but still that is a lot of weight on the end of a long vertical line.

I do not have a Scott Plasma in XL, but I do in a Large. I suspect the seatpost length is the same from L to XL so I can check that for you.

Would agree that that trying to get enough of both Stack to start with before adding pedestals. Could dither about wheelbase and trail between the Felt and the Shiv but have not had enough coffee yet today. :)

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sasquatch bike fit advice [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anne,

that's super helpful. Thank you!

I love my Zinn, but I was hoping to not have to build a custom one from scratch again until I'm sure Triathlon is for me.

So it sounds like if I can get the right seat hight then the other dimensions should fall into place?

For instance I found a nice looking 2014 Specialized Shiv on craigslist and according to specialized it's got a 590 stack and a 350 saddle height (same height for all models). That puts the max saddle height at 940mm... 25mm of play.

Thank you,

very helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 for starters, get the desoto 2 piece wetsuit. Give up on tri suits. size 15 tri shoes from shimano and garneau.

First thing to consider is just adding tribars to the Zinn and moving the seat forward. That will get you pretty far. You see all this talk about crank length - it doesn't make any difference to your time. I am more comfortable on 200mm, but to get you fit on a XL TT bike, you may have to go with "short" 180mm or 175mm cranks.

If that doesn't work, it sounds like you are flexible and have a strong back, (i.e. can you hold an aero position?) then an XL tri bike may be a bit faster, but you are going to be maxed out on the thing. Handling is going to get sketchy, so plan on enough rides outside to get comfy and the hard workouts inside on the trainer.

Either way, make sure the tribars are long enough. This is a parameter that might not show up in the fitting. your forearms are longer than most bars without the safety margin and it's going to make a world of difference to have the right length. I modified 22.2 zipp bars to fit on a 22.0 HED aerobar to get the fit. The fitter will not have long enough extensions in stock. Do not leave without a plan. You would not use a short seat post, don't use short extensions.

For what it is worth, IMLP 2013 had a guy on a Guru who was legit 6'8".

6'6" 190lb. Tallest finisher of IMMT 2017.
KHS 747
XXL Santa Cruz
Specialized Transition Pro XL - at the limit for seatpost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Parlee custom - might be a good fit for you. Worth a chat with them
Quote Reply
Re: Sasquatch bike fit advice [Slick_D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the Tips guys.

I actually went with a Roka Tri Suit, Large + Tall and it fits great. Already have Bont shoes in a 15. Cranks on my Zinn are 200mm... but strangely the 175's on my fit bike actually felt great (we tried 185mm as well).

I looked into converting my Zinn, but no matter what I tried my arms just ended up too far in front of me and it wasn't a sustainable position... that's OK, because I still like climbing the local mountains and would never want to do that on any bike but the Zinn.

Looking forward to being one of the biggest Triathletes out there! Appreciate everyone's advice to getting started with my first Tri Bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sixNine wrote:
Hello,

This is my first post. I joined after reading some of the great articles on bike fit here, but even then I'm just not able to understand or make an informed decision about choosing the right bike for my fit.

Me:
6'9" Sasquatch (now tiny at 200lbs). I ride a custom Zinn road bike and am looking for my first Tri bike. I got a fit at a local fitter (using a purely custom adjustable bike) but unfortunately hadn't read the post here about fit expectations beforehand and haven't gotten much from my fit except the measurements and 2 bikes that I could fit on.

Goals:
What I'm trying to figure out is why my fitter suggests that only bikes at 600+ stack height will work but why ones at 590 doesn't?

My Fit:
px: 516 (to center of armrest) - 471 to back
py: 802
Saddle height: 915
saddle setback: -72
pad width: 220
Saddle: ism breakaway

aerobar: 3t ski bend.
crank length: 175

His recommendations:

- Scott Plasma 10 in XL: This frame would work with a 110 stem, and 40mm of pedestals on a handlebar that has 60mm of pad stack. The stem would have to be set-up as a +6 not a -6.

- Felt B-series 61: This frame is a bit longer than the Scott, with a 90 stem, 50mm of pedestals.

Isn't there more?
However after looking around I found that several other manufacturers had closely sized frames. Coming across these forms I found mention of the velogicfit system and purchased a month just to see the results (that report is attached).

I guess what I'm confused about is why after asking him about these minor differences he still wouldn't suggest say the Specialized shiv which is only 10mm smaller stack? Am I already at the far end of the spectrum and that last 10mm will push me to far in an undesirable direction? Additionally since this is my first tri bike, as I become stronger in that position, how would that change my fit (e.g. push me farther from off-the-shelf fit or closer to it)?

Appreciate any advice given and I apologize if I'm asking something already posted before (I promise l searched before I posted!)

-Ash

Hey Ashley,

Welcome to slowtwtich... it's Andres, I was the one who fit you. I'm sorry you don't feel you've gotten much out of your fit, it is my goal for you to feel the opposite. We've had a few email exchanges (pre & post fit), and I've tried to be as detailed as possible in how/why I arrived at my suggestions, though I can see how some of it can be confusing. I'm happy to make any clarifications, however. Our email thread works, but this forum does too...

Anne, the seatpost on the Plasma is plenty long, though Ashley is the tallest person I've fit, I had someone with an 891 saddle we fit on a Plasma 5, there were about 50 or 60mm left to the minimum insertion point if I recall correctly.
Last edited by: AndresLD: Mar 21, 18 11:01
Quote Reply