Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saris MP1 Trainer Platform and TD1 Trainer Desk
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Saris MP1 Trainer Platform and TD1 Trainer Desk [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While the desk looks nice, aesthetics in the trainer room is not a priority.

The platform OTOH, very tempting, but I really want to test one in person before committing that kind of coin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any new information on this being available? I am interested. Just started with a Wahoo Kickr on 1/1/2020 and love it. This is interesting but it doesn't seem available yet.
Thanks, John
Quote Reply
Re: Saris MP1 Trainer Platform and TD1 Trainer Desk [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's available now! https://www.saris.com/product/mp1

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's allowed to keep his trainer there? What's he think that is, a Peloton bike?

I use a cheap medial bed side tray. Works fine, looks fine, adjusts everywhere, only costs $60 on amazon.
Quote Reply
Re: Saris MP1 Trainer Platform and TD1 Trainer Desk [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've also seen it for sale (like on Clever Training) and was very interested in buying it until I saw the price.....big nope for me and to me that is way too much to ask for this. If it was maybe 1/2 what they are currently asking I might reconsider but then I'd still have to really think about it.

I did come across this (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...essory-hands-on.html) browsing the trainerroad forums which seemed interesting too. But was also disappointed it as it only works with the Kickr (I don't own one of those but a different brand smart trainer). It is much cheaper than the Saris offering and seems to have the free motion type movement I was looking for. That's about what I'd be willing to pay as a ceiling for a trainer platform that offers nearly full free motion movement.

Alas I'll just live my homemade rocker plate (that only has tilting/side-to-side movements) for now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
It's available now! https://www.saris.com/product/mp1

I certainly like the idea but it is priced the same as my Kickr and I just cannot get my head around the cost. I would love to give it a trial run and perhaps get sold on it but the steep price will impact sales I'm afraid. However the upside is others will create their own versions and drive the price down hopefully.
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the MP1, overall I quite like it. Climbing out of the saddle takes a little to get used to, but overall I feel less fatigued on the trainer than when it was simply on the floor. I am not sure of the exact mechanism that reduces fatigue, but my back feels a bit better after a session. It was simple to set up, essentially unpack and put the trainer on and go.

Have to be a little careful getting off while wearing your cleats the board can get slippery with sweat and spilled water.
Quote Reply
Re: Saris MP1 Trainer Platform and TD1 Trainer Desk [ASU_GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ASU_GT wrote:
I have the MP1, overall I quite like it. Climbing out of the saddle takes a little to get used to, but overall I feel less fatigued on the trainer than when it was simply on the floor. I am not sure of the exact mechanism that reduces fatigue, but my back feels a bit better after a session. It was simple to set up, essentially unpack and put the trainer on and go.

Have to be a little careful getting off while wearing your cleats the board can get slippery with sweat and spilled water.

Thank you for this review. I could benefit from my back feeling a little better when completing a trainer ride.
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They might sell 10 of them at that price.

Once they drop the price to something remotely sensible (like half) then I'll pass!

I like the idea of improving comfort on the turbo, but too much coin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on a price reduction for this? I want one but need a big discount to get one!
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get them 20% off right now, so there's that. Which is honestly about as good as you'll likely see anytime soon. Details and such here (for both): Http://www.dcrainmaker.com/deals

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Saris MP1 Trainer Platform and TD1 Trainer Desk [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you think of Saris vs SBR rocker plates?

It seems like a huge price difference. Do you get what you pay for?
Quote Reply
Re: Saris MP1 Trainer Platform and TD1 Trainer Desk [Dreadnought] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So... We have a Saris MP1 in the house as of last night. We had a tough time finding one in stock and ended up getting it from REI. I watched Ray's video before setting it up, but I have not used it yet since I have shifted to outside riding. My wife, who mainly rides inside all year around, used it this morning. It was her birthday present.

First observations. It is a well engineered and thought out product. As an engineer I was pretty impressed with the under carriage and how it is put together. Is it worth $1200? That is up to the user. It is very heavy - about 65 lbs. I'm guessing. That is actually good because the trainer and bike had a habit of moving. They don't anymore.

We have an original Cyclops Magnus trainer attached to it and that mated up as expected. The bike sits noticeably higher on the device, high enough that the computer screen and TV screen locations, which were carefully calculated before installation, may need to be moved. We are using the Wahoo stand and it had to be raised 2 holes to clear the front wheel of the bike.

The platform makes it impossible to use the little kitchen step to get on the bike. My wife is short enough that it is very hard for her to get on the bike. That needs some further thought.

The first question my wife asked was "will the bike fall over?" The initial feeling when you get on the bike is that the bike has to be balanced. We played with it and it will not fall over, and as soon as you start peddling the bike will right itself. After that riding is an entire new sensation, according to my wife.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Last edited by: AutomaticJack: May 6, 20 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: Saris MP1 Trainer Platform and TD1 Trainer Desk [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got it a few weeks ago and did both hard and long rides on it.
Definitely well built, high quality product that looks very impressive. It does make indoor riding feel somewhat nicer since it has a gentle rock as you pedal, but I really can't say its a dramatic difference (I use Neo trainer which has some sideways give anyway, maybe its more pronounced for other trainers).
The biggest disappointment for me is that is does nothing to help pain in the crotch on long indoor rides. That was the main reason I got it for and I don't feel it helped at all.

So bottom line, very expensive toy with very little value. YMMV
Quote Reply
Re: Saris MP1 Trainer Platform and TD1 Trainer Desk [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had the MP1 for a while now. I use it with Tacx Neo 2 and Tacx Desktop app. I find it a significant improvement. With Tacx software, which is based on videos of real roads, there are lots of winding downhills and I now find myself very closely mimicking my outdoor ride patterns. That is I come out of saddle on short climbs, I coast and LEAN into downhill corners. Definitely less aches and pains after ride for as I said I am up and down out of saddle, leaning into corners coasting (using Tacx neo remember so can coast). Bike leans not only sideways but more importantly moves forward and back as you stand and move on saddle. All in all I would say, for regular indoor riding using set up similar to mine, it is really quite good! Yeah pricey but..................
Quote Reply
Re: Saris MP1 Trainer Platform and TD1 Trainer Desk [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to think this device was dumb and a waste of money.....I was so wrong

I was able to demo it at my LBS with the Saris Rep. It is so amazing. The mechanism is super smooth and quiet. Having the ability to sway to the side and even forward and backward is a total game changer. It will completely change your indoor training. And I don't mean the 'fun' factor. Staring at the wall wont feel so monotonous and your ass will thank you since your not in that static unmoving position anymore

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Saris MP1 Trainer Platform and TD1 Trainer Desk [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't know how many of you notice this, or care, or follow zwift racing, but lucy charles barclay is the most consistently top-performing woman on the zwift racing scene, at least among triathletes. she's the lionel of the women. or lionel is the lucy of the men. anyway...

she's racing a wahoo kickr bike on an MP1 platform. which you're not supposed to be able to do, but, as i wrote when i reviewed the MP1, i had a kickr bike sitting right next to the MP1 for weeks, and was sore tempted to put the one on the other. lucy did it, and it's how she races.

i've got the MP1 in my studio and asked permission of saris to modify it, which means i'll probably end up destroying it, but i want to see if certain modifications make the platform better than it already is. i have zero complaints about the platform for seated riding. nothing but respect for how it handles seated riding. it's an improvement over the rigid riding experience. but i think out-of-the-saddle can be improved, which will be the object of my tinkering.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope someone can advise on this as there are no demo units available where i'm from. I’ve actually been using one of those side to side rockers with little balloons on each side. What I realized is the bike and trainer together causes an inevitable imbalance of weight (towards the left where the flywheel is), and I have to balance that by inflating one balloon more than the other. Is there such a mechanism in the MP1 to address the weight imbalance, or is it not a concern at all?
Quote Reply