Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sanders aero disadvantage ?
Quote | Reply
After seeing his power numbers from kona compared to others I’m confused to why he hasn’t done more to refine/improve this aspect. I feel that if he truly exhausted all possible positions/gear options he could be unstoppable, I just don’t get it? Sebastian k, who is very similars height/weight put out significantly less watts in kona for almost the same bike split.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders aero disadvantage ? [bruno82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's possible that he has tried a more aero position but found there is a trade-off in reduced power and/or ability to run off the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
After seeing his power numbers from kona compared to others I’m confused to why he hasn’t done more to refine/improve this aspect. I feel that if he truly exhausted all possible positions/gear options he could be unstoppable, I just don’t get it? Sebastian k, who is very similars height/weight put out significantly less watts in kona for almost the same bike split.

Kienle is probably a better biker when it comes to technique and skills. For me, it looked like Sanders didnt follow Wurf and Kienle when it was more technical parts but when it comes to power he outrode Kienle in Kona. (Kienle didnt looked like himself last year.)
Maybe its a bit about better aeroposition on the bike but also about to keep in aero position.
I guess Sanders gonna look into everything after Oceanside so probably gonna check that too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious where did you see Kienke's power file? He usually doesn't use a power meter in races and he didn't have one in Kona last year.

bruno82 wrote:

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders aero disadvantage ? [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering the same thing...

trailerhouse wrote:
Just curious where did you see Kienke's power file? He usually doesn't use a power meter in races and he didn't have one in Kona last year.

bruno82 wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders aero disadvantage ? [pran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pran wrote:
Quote:

Kienle is probably a better biker when it comes to technique and skills. For me, it looked like Sanders didnt follow Wurf and Kienle when it was more technical parts but when it comes to power he outrode Kienle in Kona. (Kienle didnt looked like himself last year.)
Maybe its a bit about better aeroposition on the bike but also about to keep in aero position.
I guess Sanders gonna look into everything after Oceanside so probably gonna check that too

Sanders beat his Oceanside course record yesterday which had beaten all of Jan's previous times (or anyone elses). Rather than Sanders and us beating him up, maybe the answer to all this is Frodo is way on track and Sanders does not need to do anything different (other than maybe technical bike handling, but honestly there is not that much technical riding in Oceanside. It's certainly not enough that he would make up anywhere close to the gap of his race loss. I think Frodo just had an awesome day and is super fit. Sanders had a great day and is super fit. Take out Frodo and everyone would be raving about how awesome Sanders did beating last year's times etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The mini documentary "Chasing the Lion" shows him working with alphamantis. It mentions dropping his cda from 0.260 to 0.234.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders aero disadvantage ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, frodo has a bad Kona race and it’s as if he’s finished. Good to see him back on top
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders aero disadvantage ? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
I agree, frodo has a bad Kona race and it’s as if he’s finished. Good to see him back on top

x2 on that. And the funny thing is that the Frodo "loss" was only around 15 months after he blew the doors off at Roth 2016. It's not like you lose your engine in 15 months, so it is just about him fixed up the wheels from the injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jan has one bad race and everybody forgets everything he has achieved. Poor guy
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders aero disadvantage ? [Joshua_L] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not everyone, and not even most people. But the Sanders fan club has a strong presence and they have a lot to cheer for. I'm in that club, but also realize there are several just pure triathletes that are more talented and work just as hard. Those guys are going to win every time unless something happens. But that is the game, those guys have to show up, have a perfect race, because Lionel will be right there to pick up any pieces, he is a junkyard dog that gloms on and doesn't let go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He has done work to refine his aero position.
Maybe it's not his position?
And yes he is at an aero disadvantage but it may not be what you think it is

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Sanders aero disadvantage ? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Position, equipment - contracts run out and when they do you should see his bike times come down. A simple 10 watts would have made a lot of changes to a lot of headlines over the past 6 months. When you are this close and at the front of any pack every watt matters.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders aero disadvantage ? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well we know the p09 is good and the suit is good...Got to be the bike? ;)

desert dude wrote:
He has done work to refine his aero position.
Maybe it's not his position?
And yes he is at an aero disadvantage but it may not be what you think it is
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders aero disadvantage ? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People seem to assume that LG is an aero dog, despite (or because?) the fact that there doesn't seem to be any aero data on it. But there's solid evidence Garneau knows what they're doing aero-wise, making one of the fastest helmets and fastest suits, so I don't see why the bike wouldn't be pretty fast as well. In general I think it's a well thought out bike. Would be interesting to see some data.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders aero disadvantage ? [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not the bike. He just looks like a gorilla on it. Gorillas are not aero.

ClayDavis wrote:
People seem to assume that LG is an aero dog, despite (or because?) the fact that there doesn't seem to be any aero data on it. But there's solid evidence Garneau knows what they're doing aero-wise, making one of the fastest helmets and fastest suits, so I don't see why the bike wouldn't be pretty fast as well. In general I think it's a well thought out bike. Would be interesting to see some data.

What's your CdA?
Last edited by: trailerhouse: Apr 8, 18 10:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:

ClayDavis wrote:

Agreed. Someone posted a picture of him from behind and his legs/knees stick way out to the side. He looks more like a bull rider than triathlete. I don't know how much improvement he can make without addressing those skeletal issues and I don't even know if that can be fixed. It will require more than a couple of shims under his cleats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:

LoL. Had the same thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders aero disadvantage ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Sanders beat his Oceanside course record yesterday which had beaten all of Jan's previous times (or anyone elses). .

Trying to make sense of this statement, when did LS ever hold the course record at Oceanside?
In 2014 Jan broke the course record going 3:49:25, LS didn't race that year.
In 2015 Jan breaks his course record with a 3:47:08, LS finished 3rd in 3:49:19
In 2016, LS wins in 3:51:17 (JF didn't race Oceanside that year)
In 2017 LS wins in 3:50:04, Jan flats on the bike and dnf's
This year, Jan breaks his course record and goes 3:45:05, LS second in 3:48:48, great time obviously but not even his fastest time on the course so what LS course record are you referring to?

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders aero disadvantage ? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re mistaken, every time Lionel races he breaks a record! No other results matter.

Mike Plumb wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Sanders beat his Oceanside course record yesterday which had beaten all of Jan's previous times (or anyone elses). .

Trying to make sense of this statement, when did LS ever hold the course record at Oceanside?
In 2014 Jan broke the course record going 3:49:25, LS didn't race that year.
In 2015 Jan breaks his course record with a 3:47:08, LS finished 3rd in 3:49:19
In 2016, LS wins in 3:51:17 (JF didn't race Oceanside that year)
In 2017 LS wins in 3:50:04, Jan flats on the bike and dnf's
This year, Jan breaks his course record and goes 3:45:05, LS second in 3:48:48, great time obviously but not even his fastest time on the course so what LS course record are you referring to?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bruno82 wrote:

I believe it was mentioned that Jan spent an entire day in a wind tunnel testing just helmets - that is a lot of time on just helmets. As for Lionel he has a style of pedaling that I have seen no other person have with a distinct outward motion. The aero eyeball test would seem to say there is a significant amount of drag there and I don't know how you change that. Likely he also generates some of the power from that style of riding. Beyond that, he could work on his bike handing skills by riding outside and getting comfortable in handling the bike more aggressively. One thing Gwen Jorgensen did in prep for the Rio Olympics was to get on the back of a motorcycle with a professional rider and do some aggressive riding.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL...OK I was wrong, but he's still posted pretty well all the "second fastest" Oceanside times. Maybe Lionel becomes the modern day version of Canadian Steve Bauer...pretty well won 2nd place in every race that mattered starting from the silver being beaten by blood doped Alexi Grewal, but that's another topic. OK back to Lionel's bow leg riding, running and swimming !!!
Quote Reply
Re: Sanders aero disadvantage ? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I am not mistaken, Sanders has been hit by vehicles 4x including a concussion from such potentially life altering events. Not sure if he wants to do a lot of outdoor riding.
Quote Reply

Prev Next