Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

San Elijo / San Marcos / Escondido lap pools
Quote | Reply
Moving to Elfin Forest and looking for good lap pool recommendations in the surrounding areas of San Elijo, San Marcos, and Escondido. Bonus for any masters programs. I’m familiar with the coastal areas like Encinitas but having a bit of trouble finding anything obvious up in inland north county. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: San Elijo / San Marcos / Escondido lap pools [Bruinkellyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bruinkellyo wrote:
Moving to Elfin Forest and looking for good lap pool recommendations in the surrounding areas of San Elijo, San Marcos, and Escondido. Bonus for any masters programs. I’m familiar with the coastal areas like Encinitas but having a bit of trouble finding anything obvious up in inland north county. Thanks!

i'm sure you know about carlsbad aquatic center. you'd be what, 15min? 20min tops?

of course i'm long out of town now, having moved out 20yr ago, but my old haunt was vista/san marcos, and there was nada.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also in Carlsbad closer to San elijo I’d the Alga Norte pool. They have a master program. That’s the closest one, than the coast in encinitas has the Ymca and Solana beach has the boys and girls masters program. Short drives
Quote Reply
Re: San Elijo / San Marcos / Escondido lap pools [beaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. My kids have swam with the NCA team at the Alga Norte / Carlsbad aquatic center, so sloman is right that’s probably the closest good option. I was hoping I was wrong about there being nothing good directly in San Marcos and surrounding areas, but I guess not. Oh well, not too far. Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alga Norte is the best Aquatic Center in North County and it's less than 5 miles from San Elijo Hills. I used to live right in the town center and was thrilled to have a pool like that so close.

There are pools in San Marcos, but as far as masters goes, the program at Alga Norte is pretty solid. Not sure what it's like after Covid, but it used to be a great group.

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: San Elijo / San Marcos / Escondido lap pools [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not pool related but I like using Alga Norte as a starting point for after work rides. That area is great for short hilly loops with not so crazy traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: San Elijo / San Marcos / Escondido lap pools [Ken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The riding in San Elijo is awesome! One of the claimed "world famous" rides goes through Elfin Forest, but really it is a great spot to be in for riding. Hills, trails, riding in every direction. It's a great spot to settle down.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would rather swim at Alga Norte. The pool itself is world class. The master’s programs is great and they even go long course 2-3 times a week (Not sure about right now) and best of all it’s the best deal in the area from a price perspective.

I happen to live equal distance between the Encinitas YMCA and the Boys and Girls Club in Solana Beach. I choose their convenience but long for Alga Norte.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All great suggestions so far, and if you live on the east end of elfin, then perhaps you could be closer to Escondido. I know they have a nice pool there, but have no idea what the programs are like these days, or the Covid situation. But it would be an easy jaunt out the road there without much traffic to get there...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a plan to build a pool in San Elijo where the old San Marcos dump used to be. It's a few years away but sounds promising. Hopefully you can rally the neighborhood to get the speed limit lowered along Elfin Forest as the road has become a death trap during certain times of the day.

Scott DeFilippis
Professional Triathlete
Coach and Co/Founder
KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great place to live and welcome soon to the area :) I live in Escondido and XLAB is actually in Escondido right at the end of Elfin Forest near Harmony grove. Such great riding routes around here. If you like gravel riding or off-road riding as well, Lake Hodges has some nice trails to go exploring!

As far as pools Carlsbad will be your best bet for masters programs as others have said. There is a lap pool at the 24 hour fitness here in Escondido, but I haven't been to that gym in years. From what I remember it was always crowded, but could have changed. I personally trained at the Iceo-plex which had a side gym and lap pool unfortunately that shut down late last year I think.

Welcome to the area again!!

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply