Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sam Long is good for triathlon according to the BoB Babbittville metrics
Quote | Reply
It is interesting to look at the number of viewers Bob Babbitt gets on his interviews.
https://www.youtube.com/.../babbittville/videos

Based on those numbers it is easy to see that Sam Long is getting viewers.
And a lot more than any other stars.

Conclusion: Sam Long is good for triathlon

Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long is good for triathlon according to the BoB Babbittville metrics [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting

For fun, try clicking top left "sort on most popular"
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long is good for triathlon according to the BoB Babbittville metrics [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have said currently.
Since we do not have Kona 2021 is not a normal year.

And following your advice and sort. It shows that Kona is important.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long is good for triathlon according to the BoB Babbittville metrics [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Conclusion: Sam Long is good for triathlon

I know some people don't "like" him but was this conclusion in dispute?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long is good for triathlon according to the BoB Babbittville metrics [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed Baekerggard got the sponsorship from Redbull(his latest instagram post), but Sam Long said they wouldn't sponsor him in his last video. He's getting more exposure, but still not good enough for Redbull? I don't know how sponsorship works. It's just my personal observation and opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long is good for triathlon according to the BoB Babbittville metrics [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I noticed Baekerggard got the sponsorship from Redbull(his latest instagram post), but Sam Long said they wouldn't sponsor him in his last video. He's getting more exposure, but still not good enough for Redbull? I don't know how sponsorship works. It's just my personal observation and opinion.

Different brands have different profiles of athletes they sponsor, not a big deal. As a European company, Red Bull seems to focus on European athlete as their spokespeople.

I think that comment in Sam’s video was just a throwaway comment.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long is good for triathlon according to the BoB Babbittville metrics [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkq wrote:
s13tx wrote:

Different brands have different profiles of athletes they sponsor, not a big deal. As a European company, Red Bull seems to focus on European athlete as their spokespeople.

Got it. I guess at least he contacted them and tried.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sam Long threads everywhere, makes a change from Lionel threads I suppose!
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long is good for triathlon according to the BoB Babbittville metrics [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
mkq wrote:
s13tx wrote:

It's probably because his overall profile is small amongst athletes in the US. Although Red Bull supports triathlon generally, look at who their sponsored athletes are in the North America. More extreme sports types than not. But not a single triathlete currently.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
mkq wrote:
s13tx wrote:

It would clash with his pink.

I wonder is the fact he is rarely at the front of the bike turns off sponsors. Great runner and cyclist, but he probably won't get much race coverage at big races until he is off the bike. Red Bull loves those helmets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
And a lot more than any other stars.

Any other stars?

Jan Frodeno: Breakfast with Bob at the Collins Cup
21.1k views

Lionel Sanders: Breakfast with Bob at the Collins Cup
25k views

Sam Long: Breakfast with Bob at the Collins Cup
10k views

I wouldn't say "a lot more than any other stars".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was about to say Long needs to win big races before he gets big sponsors like Redbull, but then there's Baekkegard. So except if Redbull decided to sponsor DB because essentially he is Frodeno Junior, this is indeed a strange situation.
Sponsors may not be big fans of the image Long conveys of himself (also what irritates a number of people here), not sure we'll ever see Sam with a Breitling, covering himself in La Roche-Posay sunscreen, and driving his plant-powered Mercedes to a fancy gala evening. Which is probably for the best.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long is good for triathlon according to the BoB Babbittville metrics [ALG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don’t approach Red Bull, they approach you.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long is good for triathlon according to the BoB Babbittville metrics [MrPG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it would be decided on a more national office basis, but the red bull triathletes are being marketed together globally. You can see how they are putting each athlete in the frame here

https://www.redbull.com/sg-en/tags/triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long is good for triathlon according to the BoB Babbittville metrics [ALG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ALG wrote:
I was about to say Long needs to win big races before he gets big sponsors like Redbull, but then there's Baekkegard. So except if Redbull decided to sponsor DB because essentially he is Frodeno Junior, this is indeed a strange situation.
Sponsors may not be big fans of the image Long conveys of himself (also what irritates a number of people here), not sure we'll ever see Sam with a Breitling, covering himself in La Roche-Posay sunscreen, and driving his plant-powered Mercedes to a fancy gala evening. Which is probably for the best.

Uh, what in the world are you insinuating here? Because he's an honest and earnest athlete? It literally has everything to do with his "profile" and nothing to do with how he "carries" himself. Baekkegard's social profile fits what the company probably wants in Denmark and Europe.

Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long is good for triathlon according to the BoB Babbittville metrics [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
ALG wrote:

Uh, what in the world are you insinuating here? Because he's an honest and earnest athlete? It literally has everything to do with his "profile" and nothing to do with how he "carries" himself. Baekkegard's social profile fits what the company probably wants in Denmark and Europe.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the guy and I think he’s a colorful character bringing more people to our sport.
At the same time, he doesn’t fit in well next to the other current top athletes. Just look at their faces when Sam starts talking at the St G pro press conference. What do you make of that? Do you see the elephant in the room there? It has to do with how he carries himself. And it doesn’t reconcile too well yet with the typical type A average age white man showing up at IM events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How so. If you go to their roster of athletes. They sponsor a FAT 0 US Triathletes of either short course or Ironman Disciplines.

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/athletes?filter.countryCode=US&filter.disciplineId=rrn:content:collections:4419e9c6-7df6-4e7f-a68f-e47275e6b591,rrn:content:collections:b736cc0c-cedc-452e-a96d-de8dd922d314

Now let's look at Canada, a FAT 0 CAN Triathletes of either Short Course or Ironman Disciplines.

https://www.redbull.com/...2e-a96d-de8dd922d314

Of the three disciplines. Swimming isn't even a filter on their roster of athletes in the US. So 0 swimmers. They sponsor 1 US runner, and she's an Olympian. 18 US cyclists of varying disciplines.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Sep 17, 21 16:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ALG wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
ALG wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, I like the guy and I think he’s a colorful character bringing more people to our sport.
At the same time, he doesn’t fit in well next to the other current top athletes. Just look at their faces when Sam starts talking at the St G pro press conference. What do you make of that? Do you see the elephant in the room there? It has to do with how he carries himself. And it doesn’t reconcile too well yet with the typical type A average age white man showing up at IM events.

I think it is fair to say that “polish” is part of someone’s profile and that isn’t what Sam is about. That is perfectly okay. He is young and brash in a fun way. At one point, Andre Agassi was the “oddball” in tennis.

Federer, Nadal and Djokovic all have different profiles and sponsors and widespread appeal for different audiences.

It isn’t like Red Bull is the “must have” sponsor in triathlon.

No idea why my head went to tennis….
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long is good for triathlon according to the BoB Babbittville metrics [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
How so. If you go to their roster of athletes. They sponsor a FAT 0 US Triathletes of either short course or Ironman Disciplines.

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/athletes?filter.countryCode=US&filter.disciplineId=rrn:content:collections:4419e9c6-7df6-4e7f-a68f-e47275e6b591,rrn:content:collections:b736cc0c-cedc-452e-a96d-de8dd922d314

Now let's look at Canada, a FAT 0 CAN Triathletes of either Short Course or Ironman Disciplines.

https://www.redbull.com/...2e-a96d-de8dd922d314

Well, maybe because the current best triathletes are all European athletes. And Redbull goes for the best, both for now and tomorrow? There’s no American top athlete at the moment. Sam is getting there, not just yet.
What do you make of that StG press conference, and in general, what other athletes think of Sam? When Beals says “he’s a great guy, great personality, don’t change”. What do you read between the lines?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long is good for triathlon according to the BoB Babbittville metrics [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DB’s Ironman finish celebration was about the least polished thing I’ve ever seen. It was so bad I thought it was a parody at first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got a link?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish bob would podcast his interviews.

Video is so 2002

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just available on YT, Sam has it on his channel. Not the whole thing, just the parts when he’s talking.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KD6-kfo_QZE

There’s him. And the others...
Big hugs to him for the way he interacts with fans. It really looks genuine.
Last edited by: ALG: Sep 17, 21 16:43
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long is good for triathlon according to the BoB Babbittville metrics [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
I wish bob would podcast his interviews.

Video is so 2002

He does podcast them, but not all of them. No idea why. But actually working in the industry, Rogan set the standard with Full Video that is then made into a podcast.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mkq wrote:

Federer, Nadal and Djokovic all have different profiles and sponsors and widespread appeal for different audiences.

It isn’t like Red Bull is the “must have” sponsor in triathlon.

No idea why my head went to tennis….
Well if you want to stay on the tennis theme then Red Bull athlete Lucy Charles-Barclay is the Maria Sharavpova of the triathlon world. She is extremely talented,beautiful,intelligent,very well presented and has a growing legion of young girls following her via her "Battle Braids" theme.She lives the Five Star lifestyle but is grounded enough to know how to make herself relatable..

In short, she is the perfect marketing package.....................and that is how Maria Sharapova became the highest paid female athlete in the world despite not winning all the tournaments..

Maria Sharapova tops Forbes list of highest-paid female athletes | Daily Mail Online
Quote Reply

Prev Next