Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sam Long coaching change
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen clues but nothing certain. I just really hope he doesn't start coaching himself.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He'll be coached by Mikal before you know it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
I've seen clues but nothing certain. I just really hope he doesn't start coaching himself.

Tri247 article says he's self-coaching as of now. It doesn't make clear if that will change at some point going forward.

https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/elite/sam-long-2022-review-coaching-change
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:

If he ever wants to get better at long distance he’s going to need some coaching magic. It seems middle distance comes more naturally to him
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn. Lionel gets shit on all day here for being on YT and none of you even know Sam has a channel. He announced he's self coaching in the Indian Wells recap video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIJoXrnH7i8
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [Vertebrae6395] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most people on here know he has a channel but his channel is boring and he is posting more infrequently. The season is mostly over, I'm sure the views on that recap are down so no need to come on here and post about it urgently.
This season for him seems to be a floundering season. The sponsorships that brought him to Europe took him out of the scene here and could not have set up for descent training. If he feels he can perform better without the volume, is it in respect to 70.3 or long course in general?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He has had a string of immature decisions in 2022. He can dress them up as "life experiences" but his stock has definitely gone down. If he is going to "self coaching", that is going to be another step that is not forward.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also think that it is a terrible decision. Are there any other guys at the top that are self coached?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
I also think that it is a terrible decision. Are there any other guys at the top that are self coached?

Joe Skipper?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyla wrote:
his channel is boring

Sam Long is boring. But then again, most of the pro triathletes I've met over the years are.

LS fanatics are nuts, but at least LS is always interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't take his video as he was going to be self coached full time. I took it more as he wanted to experiment on his own for few weeks leading into indian wells. Then take a break for 3 weeks and re-assess things. It doesn't make sense to hire a new coach 3 weeks before the last race of the year with a planned break right after. I would fully expect him to have a new coach for 2023.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw his YouTube and wasn’t surprised by this. I said in the IM Arizona thread I thought he was doing too much volume. Maybe he and Lionel can coach each other since they’re in the same city 😜.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [Nick2413] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick2413 wrote:
timr wrote:

If he ever wants to get better at long distance he’s going to need some coaching magic. It seems middle distance comes more naturally to him
Is this supposed to be in Pink?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i said in the other thread that going totally solo, if that's his plan, doesn't seem like a great idea for sam. based on what i've seen and heard from him this year, i think he'd benefit a lot from a steady coach and from some sport psych.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, definately some recognisable footsteps there.

His season was quite good for a young pro

11 starts
4 wins
7 podiums

Week before the IM worlds he was hit by car and injured his back

At the 70.3 worlds he got that weird penalty

So overall pretty decent but as most pros there is the search for the balance in training volume and racing volume.

A coach could help keep feet on the ground during those vulnerable moments for a young pro wanting to race and train fast and often
Last edited by: Lacticturkey: Dec 17, 22 1:54
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkq wrote:
He has had a string of immature decisions in 2022. He can dress them up as "life experiences" but his stock has definitely gone down. If he is going to "self coaching", that is going to be another step that is not forward.

Not really sure how his stock has gone down for anyone doing the judging, maybe in your eyes. But for the folks cutting his checks, it's probably even or increased based on his results. As seen from Lacticturkey's post:

Lacticturkey wrote:
Ha, definately some recognisable footsteps there.

His season was quite good for a young pro

11 starts
4 wins
7 podiums

Week before the IM worlds he was hit by car and injured his back

At the 70.3 worlds he got that weird penalty

So overall pretty decent but as most pros there is the search for the balance in training volume and racing volume.

A coach could help keep feet on the ground during those vulnerable moments for a young pro wanting to race and train fast and often

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Dec 17, 22 7:16
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I took it more as he wanted to experiment on his own for few weeks leading into indian wells. Then take a break for 3 weeks and re-assess things. It doesn't make sense to hire a new coach 3 weeks before the last race of the year with a planned break right after

This is my thought as well. A mental break from having someone else structure his workouts. Get it ‘out of his system’ to try a few things he has been wanting to try training wise. Take a break and then search for a coach he thinks will be a good match for his goals

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wouldn't shock me if he's already gotten a new coach and is just using the "off season" as a chill period and announce at a later date the new coach, etc. Some coaches have a "respectful" down period between the previous coach out of respect and/or remove from "poaching" drama.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if he actually reached out to Olav like he said he was going to on the How They Train pod. Not sure Olav and the Norwegians would ever let him train with them, but I hope he at least had that conversation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who’s Olav’s best “virtual” athlete?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough crowd
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [Adub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How? He’s famous for coaching the 2 biggest stars in the sport. Very unlikely that Long becomes a 3rd in person training partner, so I think it’s a fair question (I’m sure some Norwegian itu guys are in person but of lesser known name).

Who’s doing the Norwegian method from afar and being successful? Colin Chartier or LS by way of Mikal?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Dec 17, 22 15:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Sam points out he wants a more scientific approach? But since we do not know exactly what him and Ryan do etc. I am not sure if he means simple lactate testing or race prep with a coach present ??? Which would sound like ola?

Sam had such a solid 2021 and just a few bad days in 2022. He will have a great 2023 no matter who is his coach.

I think the idea that ola is special is very interesting as he does nothing different than so many other coaches . The difference is he has these two guys that are 100 % in for over a decade and even will not drink a beer or get a girl friend as they have calculated lost time with those choices. Few coaches get handed robots to program perfectly.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The coaches page Sam was commenting on Instagram is a scientific coach with several Pros and one of his athletes holds a KONA World Championship Crown (Chelsea Sodaro). Dan Plews. I PMd Sam to ask but he hasn't responded. I don't know why there would be a relationship there other than coach/athlete discussion. They haven't been to any of the same races and they are in two different continents. I'd love to see Sam use Dan's knowledge and approach so I'm hoping one of them announces a partnership soon.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next