Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sam Long Beats Olympic Gold Medalist !!!!
Quote | Reply
Let the fun begin. What a wonderful race by Sam Long!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Beats Olympic Gold Medalist !!!! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He also beat Jan Frodeno, Mark Allen, Dave Scott, Scott Molina, Scott Tinley, Greg Welch, Jurgen Zack, Jeff Devlin, Ken Glah, Mike Pigg, Lothar Leder, Spencer Smith and Simon Lessing among others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I beat American record holder Alan Webb in a road race 9 years ago

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im so freakin ready for the shitstorm

sAm LoNg iS oNlY a YoUtUbE sTaR! ! !@! @#@!#! !

Strava
Last edited by: RossJ: Sep 18, 21 11:55
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Beats Olympic Gold Medalist !!!! [RossJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blummefeld may have flatted on the bike, but Sam long gave him a solid thumping on the run 1:12 vs 1:16. I would imagine that he kinda packed it in, but that's not an Olympic gold medalist run split. There were a few age groupers in the top 25 running 1:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After losing 15min due to the wheel change, KB phoned in the run (must be nice to be able to phone in a 1:16). His bike and run splits in no way reflect his actual ability.

As far as the clickbait title, 26 pros finished ahead of KB today. It's akin to saying you beat Jan in Kona 2017 when he walk/jogged a 4:00 marathon due to back issues.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Beats Olympic Gold Medalist !!!! [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
After losing 15min due to the wheel change, KB phoned in the run (must be nice to be able to phone in a 1:16). His bike and run splits in no way reflect his actual ability.

As far as the clickbait title, 26 pros finished ahead of KB today. It's akin to saying you beat Jan in Kona 2017 when he walk/jogged a 4:00 marathon due to back issues.

On a different tack Iā€™m actually curious as to what happened, a flat change with support shouldnā€™t be more than 10-20 seconds, and really they should be right there with that group.

But heā€™s riding rim brakesā€¦so maybe no wheels. Also wondering about the giant tiresā€¦are they a re-badged Vitoria?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Beats Olympic Gold Medalist !!!! [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

On a different tack Iā€™m actually curious as to what happened, a flat change with support shouldnā€™t be more than 10-20 seconds, and really they should be right there with that group.

But heā€™s riding rim brakesā€¦so maybe no wheels. Also wondering about the giant tiresā€¦are they a re-badged Vitoria?

Maurice

No way a flat should take that long to change. That seems amateur at that level of racing. Sam Long beat Blum fair and square. It's not really clickbait (not responding to you but to TitanFlexr). Every time we hear how people like Sam Long, or Lionel, or going back Lori Bowden and Peter Reid have no chance when the Olympians move over but some of these people who come thru the age grouper ranks do pretty OK relative those with the elite sport machine background
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wheel issue, not (just) a flat. Had to wait for wheel support. He was on fire

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Beats Olympic Gold Medalist !!!! [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

You know that if Sam Long had a wheel issue he would be lynched on ST for being amateur.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

You know that if Sam Long had a wheel issue he would be lynched on ST for being amateur.

All fair points. Sam Long (and a load of other people) beat The Omympic Champion today. But does Long have a better Max-level than said gold winner? Or who is Ā«more talentedĀ», or who would have won on a - for both athletes - Perfect day?

All questions are really irrelevant, but still we love to discuss them. Its really all we ever discuss, when we debate Ā«who is favourite to win KonaĀ», or Ā«70.3 WC can anyone beat Sam Long? When I say the queations are irrelevant its because no medals are won on talent or ability alone. I think Blu had beaten Long with no mechanical. I also think Frodo might have won Kona in 2014 without The drafting penalty (or was it a flat?), and VebjĆørn Rodal har probably not won The 800-meter Olympic gold medal had Wilson Kipketer been allowed to race. But said Shit happened, and affected The outcome:)

Big Kudos to Sam Long for an awesome performance. But, and I think That is a relevant but in this context, Long wil never beat Blu in a race where none of them have any incidents;)

Biased greetings from Norway!:-)
Last edited by: lovegoat: Sep 19, 21 10:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Blummefeld may have flatted on the bike, but Sam long gave him a solid thumping on the run 1:12 vs 1:16. I would imagine that he kinda packed it in, but that's not an Olympic gold medalist run split. There were a few age groupers in the top 25 running 1:16

Instead of packing after the wheel issue, he still use the race as a preparation for Ironman Cozumel in November. Go look on his Strava compare to Gustav and Sam Long, on the descents he pretty save his legs avoiding huge damage to his quads, he basically put himself in Ironman running pace! Absolutely wise move very intelligent and classy athlete!

Maybe one of the athlete thatā€™s walking straight this morning and will be ready tomorrow to go back to his regular training! Canā€™t wait to see his debut at the full distance, he was totally in control before the mishap!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Maurice

No way a flat should take that long to change. That seems amateur at that level of racing. Sam Long beat Blum fair and square. It's not really clickbait (not responding to you but to TitanFlexr). Every time we hear how people like Sam Long, or Lionel, or going back Lori Bowden and Peter Reid have no chance when the Olympians move over but some of these people who come thru the age grouper ranks do pretty OK relative those with the elite sport machine background

At least be intellectually honest. This is 100% click bait, both title and first post. It is fine, just be honest.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Beats Olympic Gold Medalist !!!! [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Instead of packing after the wheel issue, he still use the race as a preparation for Ironman Cozumel in November. Go look on his Strava compare to Gustav and Sam Long, on the descents he pretty save his legs avoiding huge damage to his quads, he basically put himself in Ironman running pace! Absolutely wise move very intelligent and classy athlete!

Maybe one of the athlete thatā€™s walking straight this morning and will be ready tomorrow to go back to his regular training! Canā€™t wait to see his debut at the full distance, he was totally in control before the mishap!

I love Sam Longā€™s approach and progress. The headline today can be ā€œSam Long beats Olympic Championā€ all day long. Tomorrow, KB will still have an Olympic Gold and Sam will not have won anything near that magnitude yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Beats Olympic Gold Medalist !!!! [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbie Hancock wrote:
He also beat Jan Frodeno, Mark Allen, Dave Scott, Scott Molina, Scott Tinley, Greg Welch, Jurgen Zack, Jeff Devlin, Ken Glah, Mike Pigg, Lothar Leder, Spencer Smith and Simon Lessing among others.

You left off 7

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Beats Olympic Gold Medalist !!!! [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just rubbing it in at the guys who always say that the ex age groupers long coursers will be pummelled by the ITU guys but time and again for two decades we get atheletes like Sam Long, or Sebi or Peter Reid or Tom DeBoom coming up thru the age group ranks that step it up and hold their own.

On paper Blum should beat Sam even after flatting. This should not require more than a few minutes. On paper there should be many guys who beat Sam but he put it together. Sam beat the Olympic Gold medalist fair and square.

If Sam had taken 15 minutes to get going with a flat he would be hammered all over ST
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I was just rubbing it in at the guys who always say that the ex age groupers long coursers will be pummelled by the ITU guys but time and again for two decades we get atheletes like Sam Long, or Sebi or Peter Reid or Tom DeBoom coming up thru the age group ranks that step it up and hold their own.

On paper Blum should beat Sam even after flatting. This should not require more than a few minutes. On paper there should be many guys who beat Sam but he put it together. Sam beat the Olympic Gold medalist fair and square.

If Sam had taken 15 minutes to get going with a flat he would be hammered all over ST

No disagreement from me on most of that. It is great to see that talent and doing things differently can drive the sport forward.

We don't really know exactly what happened with Blum's wheel and how big of a deal it was. How long was he out of commission? If it was a long period of time and that took him out of contention, none of his race really counts after that as he is not pushing for the win / podium but likely has his next phase of training and racing on his mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mkq wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

No disagreement from me on most of that. It is great to see that talent and doing things differently can drive the sport forward.

We don't really know exactly what happened with Blum's wheel and how big of a deal it was. How long was he out of commission? If it was a long period of time and that took him out of contention, none of his race really counts after that as he is not pushing for the win / podium but likely has his next phase of training and racing on his mind.

We do know he had a mechanical issue not just a flat. He was out for about 13-15 minutes.

Why it took so long we (I) dont know.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Beats Olympic Gold Medalist !!!! [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
mkq wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

We do know he had a mechanical issue not just a flat. He was out for about 13-15 minutes.

Why it took so long we (I) dont know.

Then to comments around "he should have beaten Long after a flat" make little sense in the context of this race. He obviously didn't just have a regular flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea on his IG account he mentions something about the wheel being an issue and that they (him and Cadex) will work to figure it out so obviously more than just a puncture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Let the fun begin. What a wonderful race by Sam Long!!!

I'll play.

First off: amazing race by Sam Long. If you joined the livestream during the bike people might be tempted to write him off ("He won't even crack the top 10" was a comment I saw and chuckled at). I loved watching up move up during the run, and I was cheering for him.

But this title is clickbait.

As you know, Dev, racers at that level have to choose where they peak during the season. Olympians peak for the Olympics. Sam is peaking at a different time because he didn't race at the Olympics.

I'm not taking anything away from him. It's worth pointing out that Sam is TWENTY FIVE. He has a ton of mileage (pun intended) in this sport and I'll be following him closely and cheering for him when Cody and/or Lionel aren't racing. But this isn't an apples to apples comparison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Sorry mate,it is clickbait.....
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Beats Olympic Gold Medalist !!!! [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Sorry mate,it is clickbait.....

It is, but my gosh it is working!šŸ˜‚
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Beats Olympic Gold Medalist !!!! [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But honestly, a title that does Sam alot more justice is Ā«Sam Long beat everyone but Iden at WC 70.3!Ā»

That title is (also) true, and actually gives Sam credit for being best of The rest (honestly I think Iden was in a league of his own - too bad there was no Blu, Frodo, or Ali/GomeZ in their prime to push him towards The end. Could have been an Epic duel. )

Also something to note: The level of long (at least short-long course!) racing has exploded. I remember starky once for 6-7 years ago noted it was extraordinary That he went sub 4hrs in a 70.3 and ended up 4th outside podium. This weekend was a hilly (not particularly fast) course , Blu had a 15 min mechanical and still went sub 4. and finished 26th. And still The field was missing quite a few of The 70.3 top names
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

I was hoping you were kidding, but with your persistent non sensical rambling it appears you are not
- Blum is a pros, pro. You are right that a simple flat tire will not take more than 1-2 minutes tops. So, only an idiot would not realize that this was not a simple flat. Stop being lazy and look at the results. At mile 42.5, start of Snow Canyon, Blum was 3rd, 47 seconds back and charging (and 2:30 up on Sam). 3.8 miles later, mile 46.8, Blum was 27th and 17:20 back. A 17 min time loss is NOT a simple flat.
Do you really think Blum did not want to get going and back in the race. No one other than Blum knows why he lost nearly 17 minutes, but he certainly did not want that, and was not at fault.
- comparing the run split of someone in the heat of the race, and someone who knows he is completely out of it is equally idiotic.
- saying Sam beat an Olympic Gold Medalist is exactly like my saying I was 2 for 2 beating Simon Lessing in Ironman races, which is as equally true as your nonsense, as I was in Couer Dā€™Alene and Kona when Lessing raced, and DNFā€™d both times, while I finished. My claim is actually more valid as he did not have a mechanical, or flat, or crash, he just quit- so I kicked his ass straight up??? Idiotic !!!!
- At this point in time, without a mechanical, crash, illnessā€¦.Sam has zero chance of beating Blum (or Iden). Perhaps that will change, and perhaps not. Sam had a GREAT race! Leave it at that, and please donā€™t make idiotic statements, I guarantee Sam would not say he beat Blum.
Quote Reply

Prev Next