Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sam Gyde on IM Texas, drafting, doping ....
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde on IM Texas, drafting, doping .... [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His take on swim training is interesting.

Quote:
Yes, the Vasa is a great swim trainer if you use it right. The only thing it doesn’t train is your core muscles, so I need to get a couple of hours in the water before a race to activate those again. Lap pool swimming is such a waste of time and it is impossible to fit that in my busy work schedule.

Perhaps for long course athletes with good technique erg training could be a good way to save time?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde on IM Texas, drafting, doping .... [Louie Cayedito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Louie Cayedito wrote:

Quote:
Yes, the Vasa is a great swim trainer if you use it right. The only thing it doesn’t train is your core muscles, so I need to get a couple of hours in the water before a race to activate those again. Lap pool swimming is such a waste of time and it is impossible to fit that in my busy work schedule.

Perhaps for long course athletes with good technique erg training could be a good way to save time?

To put this into context: my swim times actually improved after swapping lap pool swimming by Vasa swimming. Also, if I want to swim in a pool, it requires me to drive 1h with a car, get dressed and undressed so one swim session of 1h takes at least 2h30 of my time and I'd end up in a crowded pool lane. I'd rather run for 1h30 and combine this with a Vasa session.
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde on IM Texas, drafting, doping .... [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of Curiosity how often do you use the Vasa, and how do you use it?

Do you just basically use it for a set period of time...or use it different ways for different period of times?

I'm very intrigued because I have a similar issue with using a pool and pretty much just don't swim because of it, which has obviously really hurt my times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race Sam!!!

You've always have very impressive IM bike and run splits. IM Texas was no exception.

Could you provide details on how you balance bike and run workouts during IM preparation? I think specially with the run one has to be very careful that if train too hard it will hurt the bike training.

Do you perform run speed works? if yes, types and how many a week?

Would be great if you can provide information on bike/run sessions during a typical IM build week for you.

I was also planning to race IMTX, but unfortunately got very sick the night before the race.

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:
Louie Cayedito wrote:

Quote:

To put this into context: my swim times actually improved after swapping lap pool swimming by Vasa swimming. Also, if I want to swim in a pool, it requires me to drive 1h with a car, get dressed and undressed so one swim session of 1h takes at least 2h30 of my time and I'd end up in a crowded pool lane. I'd rather run for 1h30 and combine this with a Vasa session.
Sam

I like swimming even though I'm a MOP swimmer, at best. But it's the least convenient. Running or cycling I can step out my front door and do either and cycling I can use my indoor training. I, for the most, part control the schedule for those. Swimming. not so much. Even though I'm not far from the pool, they have limited lap swim times and I may ended up in a crowded lane.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde on IM Texas, drafting, doping .... [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it takes far more dedication to staying home and doing a vasa workout then it does going even with all the issues of the pool. And we are in a age where people are riding indoors much more than ever before, but I would think for most athletes they couldnt pull off what Sam did.

85 hours on Vasa trainer + 7 hrs on endless pool to get feel of water in 2 week build up.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: May 3, 18 11:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert, an Interview with Ryan Giuliano would be nice. Good dude

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde on IM Texas, drafting, doping .... [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coming up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Works for you so I don't get why people are getting their shorts in a knot about it.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the great race, Sam! What was your fueling like and what is your daily diet like?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde on IM Texas, drafting, doping .... [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Works for you so I don't get why people are getting their shorts in a knot about it.

I've been thinking about the swim comments for a few hours. and, I agree with you. We make calculated choices. It's a hobby. His results clearly say it works for him. If he was pro he would have some nice juicy low hanging fruit for the taking. For me, lap swimming is close, not crowded and helps my recovery. All that said, I'd trade places if it would give me times anywhere near his.

All respect to SGY

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde on IM Texas, drafting, doping .... [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
len wrote:

I've been thinking about the swim comments for a few hours. and, I agree with you. We make calculated choices. It's a hobby. His results clearly say it works for him. If he was pro he would have some nice juicy low hanging fruit for the taking. For me, lap swimming is close, not crowded and helps my recovery. All that said, I'd trade places if it would give me times anywhere near his.

All respect to SGY

I don't think anyone was getting their shorts in a knot, I think they (like me) were simply interested in hearing more specifically why he trains the way he does for swim. It was the one comment that stood out for me too, when I read the interview earlier today.
I used to have a Vasa, I sold it. I just couldn't handle how bored I was on it. But if you can get past that, then it gives a great workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde on IM Texas, drafting, doping .... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I think it takes far more dedication to staying home and doing a vasa workout then it does going even with all the issues of the pool. And we are in a age where people are riding indoors much more than ever before, but I would think for most athletes they couldnt pull off what Sam did.

85 hours on Vasa trainer + 7 hrs on endless pool to get feel of water in 2 week build up.

definitely. I don't know that I could do vasa workouts only. I start getting antsy after an hour on the bike trainer. I don't mind a couple of hours a week on the bike trainer but then I definitely need to get some outdoor riding in. Sam's dedication is way more than I'm willing to put in. I had a good and completely focused year last year training for my 1st triathlon but I can't do it year after year so it's definitely impressive how dedicated some athletes can be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats and thanks for the vasa commentary. I purchased an erg in February due to the same time waste the pool involves and put in 16-20k per week on the thing listening to podcasts. I jumped back in the pool a week ago to make sure I'd float and am noticeably faster/100 - most likely because I could never get 16-20k in with the pool hours and crowds. Congrats again, extremely impressive!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Sam Gyde on IM Texas, drafting, doping .... [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's being in the moment. Once you're in the moment and not counting down the hours/mins you have left before you hop off the trainer. It's a useful skill to have, not only in training, but in other aspects of life.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde on IM Texas, drafting, doping .... [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
mickison wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

definitely. I don't know that I could do vasa workouts only. I start getting antsy after an hour on the bike trainer. I don't mind a couple of hours a week on the bike trainer but then I definitely need to get some outdoor riding in. Sam's dedication is way more than I'm willing to put in. I had a good and completely focused year last year training for my 1st triathlon but I can't do it year after year so it's definitely impressive how dedicated some athletes can be.

I think part of the success as an athlete with this approach to training is being able to go to state of mind/consciousness that most normal people couldn't tolerate for too long.

I'd be really interested to learn what psychological and mental tools he and others use to be able to sustain this approach to training.

I think it’s impressive to do it year after year. It’s not something I’ve been able to do and I’m not sure I could and/or want to. I was pretty dedicated last year but not compared to many. For me, as a hobby, I’m only willing to put so much time and energy into my training. Obviously many others are putting way more into it than I am.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If circumstances ever dictate that I have to train for triathlon with a swim erg or endless pool and a treadmill, i’ll quit the sport. Riding indoors is the most amount of monotony I can take. Don’t understand how guys like LS do it. The training needs to be a little fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde on IM Texas, drafting, doping .... [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
I... Don’t understand how guys like LS do it. The training needs to be a little fun.

They like winning?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde on IM Texas, drafting, doping .... [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:

I don't think anyone was getting their shorts in a knot

Tim Floyd sort of did in his comments under the article. Part of that was him reading Sam's "waste of time" comment figuratively and not literally but this was the exact response I expected (am expecting) from the swim honks.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde on IM Texas, drafting, doping .... [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it works because it's basically so regimented that it's the easiest course of action. Read Sam's comments. He saves what 90 mins a swim day from staying home and doing vasa. That's 3-4.5 hours a week for family/life/work that makes that "sacrifice" worth while. It sucks in the present because it's just a grind, but then when you realize that training isn't being compromised race day, you can #embracethesuck even more.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde on IM Texas, drafting, doping .... [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bujayman wrote:
Out of Curiosity how often do you use the Vasa, and how do you use it?

Do you just basically use it for a set period of time...or use it different ways for different period of times?

I'm very intrigued because I have a similar issue with using a pool and pretty much just don't swim because of it, which has obviously really hurt my times.

I try to get in 4-5 session a week lasting on avg 1h10' per session. I try to add the same variation as I would do in normal swims.
For endurance work I set resistance to 3-4. If I want to work on strength I set it to 7.
My baseline wattage on the vasa is about 75W. I set zones using the Coggan method based on a threshold power of 100W and train in these zones as I would do biketraining so each workout is a continuous workout with different intervals.
While swimming on the vasa I usually watch a basketball game and play some cardio music.
I pulled a muscle in my back at the end of January because I was a bit to fanatic and had to take 2 complete weeks off swimming because of that so be careful when cranking up the intensity.
Also there is mirrors next to the vasa so I can verify a correct movement and long pull constantly.
This is my approach to the swim and is not based on any literature but it keeps swimming fun and feasible for me without getting wet.
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why are you a rockets fan? Awesome that you are(!) just wondering why...
Quote Reply

Prev Next