Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sam Gyde Takes Stand Against Doper Colom (pic)
Quote | Reply
This deserved its own thread...lifted out of the banter on the IM Germany thread. STer Sam Gyde on the same 35-39 IM Frankfurt podium as Antonio Colom (thanks to Pierre-Yves Facomprez):

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 7, 14 13:09
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde Takes Stand Against Doper Colom (pic) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome!

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde Takes Stand Against Doper Colom (pic) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty great.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde Takes Stand Against Doper Colom (pic) [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure how "awesome" that is. If I'm in the crowd, I'm assuming he's calling all of those people on the podium with him dopers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if Colom would be dumb enough to continue to dope, but since AGers aren't tested much (if at all), what's to stop him if he did? I know it's been discussed (countless times), but I think KQs should be tested.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde Takes Stand Against Doper Colom (pic) [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
Not sure how "awesome" that is. If I'm in the crowd, I'm assuming he's calling all of those people on the podium with him dopers.

I'm not sure if we should blame him for your bad assumptions!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde Takes Stand Against Doper Colom (pic) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
JoeO wrote:

It's a very reasonable assumption.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get it: Sam's point was that dopers suck, vis-a-vis the symbolism of IM trophy at the ready to wax his sports bottle. Very clever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who/ what is Colom?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde Takes Stand Against Doper Colom (pic) [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
jackmott wrote:
JoeO wrote:

It's a very reasonable assumption.

As a very minimum, people in the crowd will assume that someone in the M35-39 is a doper. But it is reasonable to assume that the word would be out in Frankfurt that the winner was a former pro cyclist doper and I'd wager to assume that there were a number of boos in the crowd that accompanied him being called up on stage as the European IM Champion. Next stop for Colom is to win the M35-39 championship in Kona and call himself the World Champion. Kind of sucks, but I guess he served his penance and is allowed to race.

I just feel it is important that people know what is going on. In the case of Michael Weiss it is obvious and the bulk of pros make is clear that there was a doping infraction in his past. In the case of Colom he's quietly competing away and winning with minimal scrutiny. At least Weiss is being tested frequently. Weiss is trying to earn a living with the transparency that goes with being a pro. Colom is kinda flying under the radar (not entirely, but low enough that the efforts of guys like Sam should be commended).

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
which one is Colom?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde Takes Stand Against Doper Colom (pic) [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
Who/ what is Colom?

Blue jeans and black/white shirt. Third from right holding M trophy chest level.

Rodney
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde Takes Stand Against Doper Colom (pic) [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guy that's yelling and holding one arm up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They guy next to him in the red shirt doesn't look too impressed either...

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
They guy next to him in the red shirt doesn't look too impressed either...

Here are the splits for Sam and his podium peers:

Colom, AntonioESP 00:55:44 04:21:34 03:18:39 08:42:04
Kunath, SvenGER 01:02:43 04:41:590 2:58:51 08:49:39
Gyde, SamBEL 01:06:57 04:38:57 03:05:31 08:57:41
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 7, 14 13:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that Dieter standing next to Sam? I loved Sprockets.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is awesome. I applaud Sam.
Triathlon shouldn't be a refuge for convicted bike dopers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well played, Sam.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde Takes Stand Against Doper Colom (pic) [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, the pros seem to be doing a decent job about speaking out and I am glad we have some people doing the same in the AG ranks. But Sam gets the win for presentation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you implying that Colom is still doping?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well played indeed. Bravo
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde Takes Stand Against Doper Colom (pic) [mikemojo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mikemojo wrote:
Are you implying that Colom is still doping?

It really doesn't matter. As it is has been said before he doped and built a doped engine. You can't unscramble the eggs, it has been shown that the benefit is long lasting so thus he is still benefiting regardless of whether or not he stills. Regardless of Weiss's background, I think the thing he has done is at least going thru great lengths to show others that he is being tested and continually being tested. I think at a bare minimum convicted, willful athletes should be subjected to drug testing on a continuous and random basis just like standard substance abuser for normal rec drugs and alcohol.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
Rambler wrote:
Who/ what is Colom?

Blue jeans and black/white shirt. Third from right holding M trophy chest level.

You mean the dude who, even though I'd never even heard of him prior to this thread, just absolutely looks like a Euro-pro cyclist doper guy? That one?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde Takes Stand Against Doper Colom (pic) [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
rbuike wrote:
Rambler wrote:
Who/ what is Colom?

You mean the dude who, even though I'd never even heard of him prior to this thread, just absolutely looks like a Euro-pro cyclist doper guy? That one?

Now, why would you say that?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Gyde Takes Stand Against Doper Colom (pic) [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
The guy that's yelling and holding one arm up.

I kind of figured it would be the one guy acting like an NFL wide receiver after making a first down catch in a pre-season game.
Quote Reply

Prev Next