Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Salvaging old technology in the modern training environment
Quote | Reply
I haven't raced IM since 2009 and last trained for a half in 2012. Most likely the serious multisport training days are behind me but I'm just starting to enjoy pushing myself on the bike again for the first time in around 2 years. Thing is all my technology is around 10 years old.

PM is a wireless Ant + DA SRM with the single, hardwired battery that needs soldering. PITA for tracking down compatible batteries and then relying on soldering skills to ensure a connection.
Head unit has traditionally been an Edge 705 and watch is a 910XT

I have the Ant + Garmin speed/cadence sensors from back then too.

It would be nice to perhaps use the iPhone (again an older 5S) as a head unit but it lacks Ant + connectivity. I was thinking of getting the Wahoo key and apple 32 pin adapter but that appears to be bulky and would not appear to be compatible with mounting the phone in one of those robust mounts for the stem?

I'm not sure I could really justify another PM and would like to make do with what I have. Even the old trainer is a computrainer with ergvideos.

Does the equipment that I have provide enough functionality with all the latest software crazes etc? It would be nice to just mount the phone and have all the power/speed/cadence etc display via ant+ right in front of me (rather than stuffed into a jersey pocket) because as I understand it the devices won't talk to the phone and 705 simultaneously, and I can't quickly upload from the 705 to say Strava without plugging into a PC later?

So yes, I'm a luddite, looking for advice on possible upgrades etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Salvaging old technology in the modern training environment [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ant+ can talk to multiple devices (btle is 1:1).

The big issue with using a 5s as a head unit is battery life. I used to use a Wahoo RFLKT as the head unit...it mirrors the data from the phone, but the screen stays off and the phone stays in my pocket.

I still have the RFLKT if you are interested, or look into the RFLKT+ that has an Ant/btle bridge, so you can skip the dongle.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Salvaging old technology in the modern training environment [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have an older powermeter with ant+. The wahoo bolt works great as a bridge to my iPhone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apple did make a 30 pin connector that was a 0.2m cable. There are some on ebay. That isn't to be confused with similar cable that are 3rd party and meant for charging only. But that seems more solid and gives you a chance to find a nice place to tie the ant+ dongle somewhere sensible. I used the non-cable adapter on mine when on the turbo and, you're right, I wouldn't trust it to stay in on the road.

I use a quad lock case for my phone, it's fine as a phone case with a bit of protection and seems very safe on the bike once clicked in.

No idea about apps and compatibility, sorry.
Quote Reply
Re: Salvaging old technology in the modern training environment [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was looking at the quad lock but being an old phone only the universal mount seemed to be current and required the adhesive, bulky attachment.

My fear would be the key and/or adapter coming loose during a hills ride on rougher roads.

At the end of the day I'd really just like to get my Strava app picking up my watts and HR etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Salvaging old technology in the modern training environment [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks I'll read up on your suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the reason for the iphone the bigger screen?
Maybe you could source a cheap android phone that has a ant+ funstionality.
As for sodering the SRM, I'll be happy to do it for you if you want to PM me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 4iiii heart rate monitor, besides doing the obvious job of sensing and transmitting HR data, can also receive ANT+ signals from other sensors and retransmit them as bluetooth.

I love the Quad Lock stuff, have had a case for each of my last 3 phones. Also have an "out front" mount for the bike, a tripod stud mount for photography/videography, and a suction cup window mount for use in the car. The last time I ordered a case and poncho for my iphone SE, they sent me 2 of each. I still have a brand new one of each, never unboxed, sitting in my drawer, and they also fit an iphone 5S. PM if your interested, I'd make you quite a deal.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Mar 21, 19 20:05
Quote Reply