Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Salt water drinking and stomach problems
Quote | Reply
I've seen quite a few comments (and heard some too in FL) in race reports about getting stomach problems after drinking too much salt water.
You may want to do the following (try in training first while swimming in a pool)...take 1-2 tablets or a sip of Mylanta or equivalent a few minutes before the swim and keep the box or bottle in your T1 bag and get one tablet or a sip just before heading out of T1. Still wait a few minutes before hydrating and eating...but it should take care of the stomach issues encountered when getting too much salt water.

my 2c.
Quote Reply
Re: Salt water drinking and stomach problems [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the interesting suggestion Francois. Last year in Kona I spent the first 2 hours of the bike unable to eat or drink much of anything due to my attempt at drinking half the Pacific during the swim due to a smack in the head as I was trying to breathe.
Quote Reply
Re: Salt water drinking and stomach problems [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An old divers trick was to ,hold your tongue behind your upper teeth ,blocking a straight path down your throat or airway. This slows the water ,so you can catch & spit on the exhale. This also works in the surf snorkeling ,as a wave buries you on the inhale.
Quote Reply
Re: Salt water drinking and stomach problems [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
those are a couple of great suggestions by you and helitech...thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Salt water drinking and stomach problems [reblAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all part of being a decent triathlete......deal with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Salt water drinking and stomach problems [Ironman Bangkok] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, but i'd much rather avoid hitting the port-a-potty at every mile mark of the run if I can rathering, than just dealing with massive diarhea for 13-26 miles.
Last edited by: reblAK: Nov 10, 05 8:26
Quote Reply