Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Safe zone for caloric deficit
Quote | Reply
Folks,

Context: trained from december 17 to the end of april, then PR a 70.3. Went on vacation for a month, took almost another 20 days to start training again. I have a problem of eating A LOT during my trips, so I put something like 7kg (11lbs) up since last race. I've wiped most of this, but I still need (want) to get rid of something like 2kg (4,4lbs). Next race a 70.3 in 60 days and im clearly feeling the woes of being in a caloric deficit diet. I don't think my recovery is going well, feeling tired from a manageable training stress and was completely empty for training today. Note that this is the same diet my nutritionist prescribed at the start of this year witch worked nicely.

Question: how much in deficit and for how long do you think its "safe" without taking too much risk of injuries? I'm currently at 67kg (147lbs) - 170cm (5,57)

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Safe zone for caloric deficit [binhopires] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
60 days before a race is not the time to cut weight and train without enough fuel. sorry, i think you already missed the boat for dropping the weight. 4 pounds inst the end of the world, you'll be better off fully fueling your training/recovery at this point, IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Safe zone for caloric deficit [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree. He could lost 2 kilos in 30 days running a 500 calorie deficit daily for a month. I would cut the weight slowly right now and cease all caloric deficit in the last 30 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
binhopires wrote:
Question: how much in deficit and for how long do you think its "safe" without taking too much risk of injuries? I'm currently at 67kg (147lbs) - 170cm (5,57)
Cheers.

I agree with the above. You are likely to sacrifice race-day performance by trying to lose weight right now. For the next 8 weeks you want to be nailing every workout as prescribed: not feeling blah, skipping workouts, bailing on pace/power training in favor of LSD, etc. Just eat, sleep, train. Worry about those last 2kg next year.

Last year I was about 2kg up from where I wanted to be, like you. I tried to do 500 cal/day in my final build up to my races. Couldn't do it. Kept getting ravenous or tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While training I seem to do well on 100 to 200 cal a day deficit. Anything more than that my workouts suffer.

Probably not what you wanted to hear :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I disagree that you can't trim the extra now.

If you're already super lean, ok, don't trim. But if you are carrying that extra weight in fat/flab for sure, a -500kcal diet per day will likely not cause you any training problems and you will only be minorly hungry at some point during the day.

11kcal per pound gets you roughly to such a deficit. So a 150lbs guy would eat 1600kcal/day + exercise burned calories. Track it on an app, don't just guess, at least until you're confident in your guesstimation abilities.
Quote Reply
Re: Safe zone for caloric deficit [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I disagree. He could lost 2 kilos in 30 days running a 500 calorie deficit daily for a month. I would cut the weight slowly right now and cease all caloric deficit in the last 30 days.

I agree that's possible, and was going to say similar. But, that's the first 4 of the last 6 weeks of real training leading into his (2 ish week) taper (assuming he has a taper). As noted above, I couldn't do it last year without killing my mental state, and compromising my threshold and race-pace workouts.

I do know how to lose weight, and run a deficit. I lost 55 lbs 3 years ago at 1000 cal/day. I lost the last bit of excess weight (8 lbs) earlier year, and am now at race weight. But, I just couldn't do 500 / day it in my build phase with all the Olympic race pace training I was doing.
Quote Reply
Re: Safe zone for caloric deficit [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald - http://a.co/d/eyiGgYh

Good book. Cutting weight is a good thing to do before your season training starts. And most of the time, you're going to cut weight as you increase your training. Well.. your body composition will change, not necessarily your weight. For my IMMT training block I lost a few pounds but my body comp changed considerably. More muscle, less fat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you guys for your comments.
I think I'll let this to the end fo the year (i am in south america) and start next season with the weight I want.
I'm doing fine anyway.

Thank you again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also agree that it's totally possible to do now without compromising training. I would suggest running at least a 500-750cal deficit on big training days and then less than that (0-250) on days off. That should get you 1/2-3/4lb per week pretty painlessly and without interfering with your training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait until after your 70.3 and develop a healthy and sustainable eating pattern.
Training for an event, 60 days out, and trying to restrict calories is a recipe for injury, burn out and fatigue, which you are already suffering from.

Don't derail your race trying to lose weight. The race specific training period is not the time. Whatever you lost before that, call that a win and focus on ways to eat smart between race cycles.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Safe zone for caloric deficit [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I’d rather be 2 kg over weight and recovering from my workouts rather than hit the proper weight and sacrifice recovery
Quote Reply
Re: Safe zone for caloric deficit [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
Personally I’d rather be 2 kg over weight and recovering from my workouts rather than hit the proper weight and sacrifice recovery

BINGO

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2kg is not that much. Better training is going to help more than losing it. How tall are you?

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1,70m ~11% bf
Quote Reply