Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle sores
Quote | Reply
Been battling with some skin irritations for at least 6 months. Not saddle sores, just an itchyness where the skin is slightly irritated.It all started from a lot of indoor training (which did lead to saddle sores)

I've been to my doctor, who first gave me some antibiotics for folliculitis, but now thats gone and something still aint right. skin looks fairly normal (Doc also said this), but its constantly itchy/ irritated.

Have tried hiblens after riding, took 10 days off the bike, topical steroids, all to no success.

Its extremely frustrating, and has really affected my mental heath. I finally hit 5wkg, and if i take more time off i know i'm going to quickly be back to square one.

Has anyone else had anything similar who can offer some advice?
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sores [djh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lowering the saddle a bit is a good help to prevent rocking and chafing. If it’s not chafing, the skin may have a sort of sensitivity to moisture. Creams could exacerbate this, locking in moisture to the area, do you always use a cream prior to riding? The skin could also be a tad dry, limiting soap use on the affected area would help. Medications could also play a role

You can try to cover the area. For foot blister problems there are products that are cloth and adhesive, which sticks to and protects the area. Placing it over the affected area prevents any contact with the skin. They’re called Moleskins at the general store here

Also remember to stand on the pedals frequently, especially indoors. Standing for about 20-30% of total time has alleviated all of my problems, even after 7 hour trainer rides

Strava
Last edited by: rsjrv99: Nov 5, 20 5:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you try changing laundry detergent or running your chamois on a extra rinse cycle?
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sores [yikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yikes wrote:
Did you try changing laundry detergent or running your chamois on a extra rinse cycle?

A while back, someone here recommended Atsko brand sports wash. It's fantastic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I don't get out of sweaty chamois pretty quickly, I get a lot of generalized irritation of that area. If it gets bad enough I use some baby rash/desitin and it usually clears up pretty quick. Can't tell from your description if this might be similar or not.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sores [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Treat your own backside after a ride like you did your baby’s when changing a diaper(US)/nappy(UK). Same products, same process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
djh wrote:
Been battling with some skin irritations for at least 6 months. Not saddle sores, just an itchyness where the skin is slightly irritated.It all started from a lot of indoor training (which did lead to saddle sores)

I've been to my doctor, who first gave me some antibiotics for folliculitis, but now thats gone and something still aint right. skin looks fairly normal (Doc also said this), but its constantly itchy/ irritated.

Have tried hiblens after riding, took 10 days off the bike, topical steroids, all to no success.

Its extremely frustrating, and has really affected my mental heath. I finally hit 5wkg, and if i take more time off i know i'm going to quickly be back to square one.

Itchiness (not bumps/lumps) can be a sign of a low-grade yeast infection of the skin. I had a dermatologist give me some cream to treat this (fluconazole, I think) and it went away in 3 days.

Of note, I had zero visible signs of an infection there. Skin looked totally fine, but was crazy itchy for weeks!
Last edited by: lightheir: Nov 5, 20 11:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
djh wrote:

Which area is irritated?
I have suffered badly this last two years with both saddle sores and skin irritation. The skin irritation I have put down to mainly longer training sessions on the indoor trainer when it is hot and I am sweating massively.
The best cream I have found to settle that down is one of the thick nappy rash zinc based creams. It sorts it out quite quickly. I always get out of my gear as soon as i am done and shower etc.
I use the Assoss cream, one trick I learnt from here is to apply to both my knicks and my skin....seems to help a fair bit....
Also be careful shaving/waxing skin in that area....just saying.....
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sores [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Basically right on my sit bones. The worst part is that is so minor, just a few tiny bumps. no redness etc, not painful just irritated/itchy.

I'd take time off if i knew that would work, but even after 10 days there was no improvement which makes me reluctant.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sores [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:
Lowering the saddle a bit is a good help to prevent rocking and chafing. If it’s not chafing, the skin may have a sort of sensitivity to moisture. Creams could exacerbate this, locking in moisture to the area, do you always use a cream prior to riding? The skin could also be a tad dry, limiting soap use on the affected area would help. Medications could also play a role

You can try to cover the area. For foot blister problems there are products that are cloth and adhesive, which sticks to and protects the area. Placing it over the affected area prevents any contact with the skin. They’re called Moleskins at the general store here

Also remember to stand on the pedals frequently, especially indoors. Standing for about 20-30% of total time has alleviated all of my problems, even after 7 hour trainer rides

Here is the thing. If you sit on a chair all day no one gets saddle sores, so it is a combination of leg extension and continuous extension and rubbing that gets one to saddle sores when the saddle is just a bit too high. I always ask people to look at how low world tour riders doing grand tours have their saddles compared to most rec cyclists and triathletes.

I'd start with the saddle a full 1 cm lower when you get back to riding and I bet all the problems evaporate. Then keep raising till saddle discomfort starts again and move saddle 2mm lower than that initial discomfort point.

All the cremes, saddle padding etc etc are almost always only workarounds for the main problem of too much saddle to pedal reach. The power almost never suffers. The aero MAY suffer a bit if riding in aerobars if you look at the "perfect aero" picture, but if you view your aero position as the integral of instantaneous aero/sit up position over time (which in effect is the total wind you push over the entire ride) then the lower position may be better if it allows you to stay in a slighlty less good aero position but do it all day.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 6, 20 16:22
Quote Reply