Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Saddle sores....OMG how do I stop them happening?
Quote | Reply
OK....this is a rather gross topic but one which I am sure lurks around the corner for many of us.
I am having some major issues at the moment and need to get things sorted ASAP so I can be back on the bike for an IM in December.
My history-grew up cycling, never had an issue with saddle sores. Started doing triathlons (mainly shorter stuff) with no issues at all. Come late last year after a HIM developed a few nasty ones, more like folliculitis style infections, nothing too serious. Now though I have had at least three major ones this year. All started as really hard lumps in the perineal area then became super tender then burst through. Needed antibiotics etc. Too embarrassed to see a surgeon about them.
Saddle wise: was originally on a ISM PN3, loved it but thought it could be an issue. Stopped using the triathlon bike to give things a rest and on the road bike with a standard Bontrager road saddle had no issues except for the odd minor follicular irritation. Got a new bike fit a few weeks back for my triathlon bike, saddle switched to a Cobb JOF55, two weeks into being back on the tri bike have been hammered with this horrible festering sore.
I use Assos chamois cream before every ride, had started to train in my road kit rather than triathlon kit as thought the extra padding might help but that theory failed, gear is good quality and always clean, I always ride before work so straight into a shower afterwards.....

I need to somehow stop whatever is causing this ASAP (but not to the extent of not riding).
What collective wisdom can ST offer? Is there one saddle I should be using? Is there a way to be assessed for the right saddle (outside of what my fitter, who is excellent and old school) provides? Is there other things that can be causing it?(I don't think personal hygiene is an issue, I see the last discussion on this went down that rabbit hole....)
Last edited by: Amnesia: Jul 3, 19 1:06
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sores....OMG how do I stop them happening? [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do a proper saddle fit plus try to put your shame aside and ask for prof. medical advise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So yes I guess one key I found was keeping clean, not riding twice in bike kit helped me and even before a ride having a wash down there (or using baby wipes).

Once you have then I found that tea tree oil and a q-tip dabbed on the sore can help then heal up / dry out faster than usual. Assos also do a skin repair gel / cream that can help.
Last edited by: msrixon: Jul 3, 19 1:37
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sores....OMG how do I stop them happening? [pointless_chip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pointless_chip wrote:
Do a proper saddle fit plus try to put your shame aside and ask for prof. medical advise.

Without wanting to sound too ignorant....what sort of proper saddle fit? Not sure who to see locally for that.
In terms of proper medical advice....I am well taken care of in that front if needed....wife is a doctor....just not sure what else can be offered....!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sores....OMG how do I stop them happening? [msrixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
msrixon wrote:
So yes I guess one key I found was keeping clean, not riding twice in bike kit helped me and even before a ride having a wash down there (or using baby wipes).

Once you have then I found that tea tree oil and a q-tip dabbed on the sore can help then heal up / dry out faster than usual. Assos also do a skin repair gel / cream that can help.

Using google now thanks! Have not seen the Assos repair stuff so will see who has it around here or order online.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just came across my Facebook page..
https://www.asiatri.com/...S0aSKGfVlhN9MG0SE6Pg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent the first half of the year dealing with this. Having not had issues in quite a few years I started to relax my preventative protocol which was:
  • Chamois cream on every ride. Lots of it.
  • New shorts for every ride - no excuses.
  • Get undressed and showered asap.
  • Pay particular attention to cleanig 'that area'.

Years of success led to apathy. First I stopped buying chamois cream. No problem. Then I started to sit around and play on Strava and instagram after each ride before I showered. FInally I had a long day on the bike and up came my problem again.

It took a few months of following my protocol again until I finally got rid of them... It was far easier to prevent them than to treat them.
You will know when the steps you are taking are working when you find that the sores don't get bigger after a ride. Once you get to that point it should start to shrink.

Check your saddle isn't too high also :-)

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you get them predominantly on one side ? if so it might be worth having another look at your bike fit and having a professional check your anatomy. I discovered that I have a 2cm leg length discrepancy that was causing me saddle sore problems on the short side. Apparently this is a relatively small/average discrepancy which I hadn`t know about prior to the measurement - anyways a few shims on my cleats on the short side completely cleared up the saddle sore issue. Just another input but might be worth checking if you come up with nothing else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on the same saddle as you and I always get them on the right side.with that said I've always gotten one that side no matter the saddle no matter the height. Not wearing shorts more than once has definitely helped as far as what to do once you have them the only thing I can add on top of what everyone else has said is put some a&d ointment on them. Make sure you get the stuff with the blue label.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sores....OMG how do I stop them happening? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I'm on the same saddle as you and I always get them on the right side.with that said I've always gotten one that side no matter the saddle no matter the height. Not wearing shorts more than once has definitely helped as far as what to do once you have them the only thing I can add on top of what everyone else has said is put some a&d ointment on them. Make sure you get the stuff with the blue label.

Thanks Fishbum...what is the a&d ointment?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diaper rash cream. Any pharmacy will have it.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sores....OMG how do I stop them happening? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you say they started as hard lumps, this sounds like it could be a subacious cyst, or at least started that way, in which case your probably looking at surgery to get rid of it long term
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you sure you don’t have a sebaceous cyst like JRC said. Or any other type like a pilonidal cyst. It sure sounds like cysts.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sores....OMG how do I stop them happening? [Patroclus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patroclus wrote:
Are you sure you don’t have a sebaceous cyst like JRC said. Or any other type like a pilonidal cyst. It sure sounds like cysts.

Definitely not sebaceous cysts....I am a doctor as well so I know my cysts and these are definitely not! Definitely pressure related of some description.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you get any numbness in the perineal area while riding? I'm not sure where you are located but if there is a fitter near you that utilizes a saddle pressure mapping system like gebioMized it may provide assistance. Although based on the saddles you said you have used it does not sound like a saddle pressure issue. It sounds like there is something else going on. I know you said you are a doctor but you may want to seek another doctors advice. i am married to a doctor and know that they can make the worst patients;)

Brian Jacobson
Fit2Ride Velo Studio
http://www.fit2ridevelo.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Calamityjane88 [ In reply to ]
Re: Saddle sores....OMG how do I stop them happening? [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Such a fun topic.

I was having significant problems with sores on a new bike. Changed saddle adjusted fit, etc. Finally met with a really good fitter and in about 1.5 hours he solved my problems. I would argue that the person you had your fit with needs to take a second look. Fitting is an iterative process. In my case we ended up changing my fore/aft positioning and slight upward tilt.

Don't settle.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sores....OMG how do I stop them happening? [BrianJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianJ wrote:
Do you get any numbness in the perineal area while riding? I'm not sure where you are located but if there is a fitter near you that utilizes a saddle pressure mapping system like gebioMized it may provide assistance. Although based on the saddles you said you have used it does not sound like a saddle pressure issue. It sounds like there is something else going on. I know you said you are a doctor but you may want to seek another doctors advice. i am married to a doctor and know that they can make the worst patients;)

Thanks for posting. For decades, I have dealt with left-side only saddle sores and the gebioMized software looks like the best option to get a better fit. And it's available at the University of Utah, near where I live.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
best guess is that your saddle is too high. start with a fit. Other pro tips

1. wash your junk with head & shoulders. the zinc in this creates a barrier that can be helpful
2. hydro peroxide can be good treatment
3. vagisil can be good treatment for pain, it contains lidocaine
4. dont chince out on your bibs/kit. you actually do get what you pay for and there is a huge difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle sores....OMG how do I stop them happening? [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I shower after every cycle
Wash my trisuit in said shower with soap and water
I found an antibacterial spray and when I am dry and out of the shower and usually before bed - lift up the old grape sack and spray the taint area
usually use gold bond powder to keep the area dry during the day (hot florida)

I have NEVER had a problem
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On clean skin, I use a base layer of coconut oil. Coconut oil is antimicrobial, anti-fungal, antibacterial. In the US, you can get food grade coconut oil for $1 at Dollar Tree. Name brand is Butcher Boy.

Then a layer of this Walgreens sometimes has this in stock by the walkers. It's used by people who pee themselves. Perfect for us. $8-$14. Have used it for years. Lantispetic Daily Skin Care Protectant.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gotten them periodically throughout the last couple years, but only when I've done some or all of these:

-I don't shower or clean with baby wipes down there right after a ride and change out of my chamois
-I don't use chamois cream
-My saddle is too high on a new bike
-My saddle is too far forward

I've tried various creams, like noxema, but the only stuff that worked was various acne products containing benzoyl peroxide. Just make sure you don't get it on your cotton underwear because it bleaches.

Hope you figure out something soon. Mine suck, but I've never had anything as troublesome as what you're experiencing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had some success with Hemorrhoid cream.
Shrinks the tissue and has some soothing effect as well as it can (not always) contain a mild antibiotic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
I need to somehow stop whatever is causing this ASAP (but not to the extent of not riding).
I think you should stop riding. Plus most of everything else suggested.

The times I've got them, with good bike fit and good hygiene, they were always a sign of overtraining and did not go away until I cut way back, including some time off the bike. I did do some races (road races/crits) with saddle sores by cutting a hole in the saddle where the sore was, and one time using a topical painkiller. But that was just to get through the events.

Serious saddle sores are an injury, and are not going to heal unless you let them. The other stuff in this thread is preventive.

If you really want to keep bike fitness, you could use a recumbent bike in the gym. Skating can help hold onto bike fitness decently if you take a few weeks off.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough problem, I've been there.

Has been mentioned but saddle position and fit was absolutely crucial for me. I lowered my seat by less than 1cm and got myself moved back on my saddle to the more flared seat parts (more surface contact area) and my recurrent saddle sores that kept happening in the same spot went away.

I was getting a sore from all the rubbing of the saddle nose/neck on my inner perineum - the new position dramatically reduced it, with only small changes needed.

Clean chamois is a given. I tried all the other stuff (assos thick bibs, other bibs, chamois creams, even underlayer lycra under bike bibs), and at least for me it didn't make a difference as the underlying problem was that excessive contact point.
Quote Reply

Prev Next