Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle setback question for a tall rider
Quote | Reply
Hi guys. I've been struggling getting into an aero position on my road bike. I'm 194cm (6'4) and recently looking through forums and talking to people I've realized I've been riding a huge saddle setback from the center of bb (around 11cm). I've moved my position as far forward as I could to 7.3cm (using Bontrager Verse saddle with really long rail). This raised a question of how far forward is too far? I obviously need to adjust the reach with a longer stem but I'm not sure what to take as the base to figure out a proper setback. I would really appreciate any feedback on how to go about it. I've had a bike fit in the past and they said nothing about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle setback question for a tall rider [jencvo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm about the same height as you, and mostly legs. I move the saddle as far forward as I can without hitting my knees on the arm pads. Also, be sure that you don't hit your knees when you are out of the saddle.

-- Scott
Last edited by: TriScott: Sep 24, 20 15:51
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle setback question for a tall rider [TriScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriScott wrote:
I'm about the same height as you, and mostly legs. I move the saddle as far forward as I can without hitting my knees on the arm pads. Also, be sure that you don't hit your knees when you are out of the saddle.

Thank you Scott. Did you end up having to get super long handlebar reach on the bike? I ran 110 stem before with 15mm spacers, now I'm at 130mm and 10mm in spacers and it feels like I'm in a fetus position. Might just be getting used to it but it feels like a drastic change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re talking about a road bike? Or a tri bike?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5’10”
35in inseam
Road bike
5cm setback

As you go forward with your saddle obviously you will go up with the saddle height. For every 1cm forward to go up roughly 3mm.

This gets me knee over pedal spindle and gets the hip angle open to get aero. I also run a 140mm -17 stem.
Last edited by: TheWhiteCarrot: Sep 24, 20 20:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jencvo wrote:
Thank you Scott. Did you end up having to get super long handlebar reach on the bike? I ran 110 stem before with 15mm spacers, now I'm at 130mm and 10mm in spacers and it feels like I'm in a fetus position. Might just be getting used to it but it feels like a drastic change.

I'm on a Trek SC XL frame with a High Far stem, I believe that translates to a 110 mm stem. I also moved the pads forward to create clearance.

On a side note, shorter cranks might help as well. I used to be on 177.5 cranks, but moved to 172.5. That allowed me to get lower because my legs no longer hit my chest and didn't go as far forward. I've been debating going to 165s.

Good Luck

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle setback question for a tall rider [TriScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone. It's for a road bike since I've been riding on it most of the time and I've only recently started a transition to more aero riding and TT position. I'll try to make the changes and see how it goes, thanks again!
Quote Reply