Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle fore/aft on tri bike
Quote | Reply
Bought an Andean frameset and use the fast bikefit app to to a Ball park fitting before deciding on further components. I’m going for a standard “template” fit, however, the saddle fore/aft position is the one thing that isn’t described very Well. All other angles are somewhat Well explained, but What’s a good starting point For saddle fore/aft?
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle fore/aft on tri bike [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KOPS :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what the "proper" way to do it is, but what I've done is figure out my bar position then the saddle fore-aft just winds up being wherever my butt has landed. There are probably better ways to do it, but I'm comfy and can ride for a long time in a reasonably aero position.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle fore/aft on tri bike [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was really just bumping the thread to the top with my sarcastic comment because I was interested as well.

For me it's more of where my butt has landed as well while trying to get my hips angle open.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle fore/aft on tri bike [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason I asked was that my behind was in one place, put the saddle there, adjusted the bars quite a bit and my behind was somewhere else. So looking for an indication as Where it’s supposed to be, rather than the bars determing the fore/aft.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:
The reason I asked was that my behind was in one place, put the saddle there, adjusted the bars quite a bit and my behind was somewhere else. So looking for an indication as Where it’s supposed to be, rather than the bars determing the fore/aft.

The saddle is supposed to be under your butt. If you adjust the bars, then the saddle will change. (that's for tri-bike fit, not road bike).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my amateur-ish approach:

Sit on bike - get saddle height to so max knee angle is ~148° and knee is above or slightly in front of pedal spindle when at 90°. (just as a starting point)

Set bars/pads in a position so hip angle is around 90°.

Move saddle forward or back for comfort and to adjust min and max hip angle. Evaluate those angles to determine if they are acceptable (that's the trick of an experienced fitter)

Set pads so that torso/arm angle is slightly >90°.
Set extensions so hands rest on shifters and are angled up 5-10°.

Play with lower/higher front end and adjust hip angle.

Post pict on slowtwitch and immediately have someone say your crank is too long and saddle is too high.

Then go see a real fit person.
Last edited by: jaretj: Sep 15, 20 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle fore/aft on tri bike [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
brasch wrote:

The saddle is supposed to be under your butt. If you adjust the bars, then the saddle will change. (that's for tri-bike fit, not road bike).

So, basically all the way down and forward, adjust saddle and tune in angles?
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle fore/aft on tri bike [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Here's my amateur-ish approach:

Sit on bike - get saddle height to so max knee angle is ~148° and knee is above or slightly in front of pedal spindle when at 90°. (just as a starting point)

Set bars/pads in a position so hip angle is around 90°.

Move saddle forward or back for comfort and to adjust min and max hip angle. Evaluate those angles to determine if they are acceptable (that's the trick of an experienced fitter)

Set pads so that torso/arm angle is slightly >90°.
Set extensions so hands rest on shifters and are angled up 5-10°.

Play with lower/higher front end and adjust hip angle.

Post pict on slowtwitch and immediately have someone say your crank is too long and saddle is too high.

Then go see a real fit person.

Right now, saddle way too low (max knee angle 128 degrees in aero bars) and cranks too long. However, saddle is positioned close to 90 degrees from BB, so there’s a lot of toe Down as well. Different story on the basebar though.
Should maybe work the other around and put some spacers under the pads and see where my butt goes. Or just set saddle to around 80 degrees and adjust the bar to that. Need to Cut the steerer at some point, just want to make sure I don’t Cut it too short (did that on at Road bike once)
Quote Reply