Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle comfort outside vs on the trainer?
Quote | Reply
Is your saddle as comfortable inside on the trainer as it is outside on long rides? My saddle seems to be okay outside but it's still giving me struggles inside on the trainer, just looking for advice from you guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle comfort outside vs on the trainer? [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can go on for hours outside, never have any issue.
On the trainer...I think 2-3 hours is as much as I can take.

Think there are multiple things in play -
Natural side to side movement when your outside,
gradient changes when your outside,
tendency to naturally get out the saddle when outside.

When you're on the trainer, all of the above go out the window i find. One thing i find helps is further elevating the front of the bike upwards. Try it - you'll find it makes a huge difference.

I've recently purchased the Tacx Neo. Going to set it up this week, as mine has been a static setup for years. A friend of mine said that, with the side to side sway , his saddle issues are non existent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did two things to relieve the inevitable discomfort.
1. I built myself a rocker plate. Just check the google machine for lots of cheap DIY options. The rocker plate also probably prevents too much stress on the bike frame from being locked in.
2. I bought a cheap $20 ebay chinese saddle with lots of padding for trainer use only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainer is always more painfull since you tend to stay in the same position while on the road you change often position!
I make the conscious effort while on the trainer to modify (slightly) my position every 10 mn or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle comfort outside vs on the trainer? [sambadhillon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a NEO, and I like it a lot. It is significantly better than the basic fluid trainer I replaced with it, but it's not a magic bullet for comfort. I still prefer 70 minutes or less, can handle 90, but much more than that, and it's not particularly pleasant to be sitting there anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you - having the exact same thought and thinking I was going crazy! I have been focussing on trying to stand up and take a break earlier versus waiting until it gets more tender later in the ride and catching up. One other thing is I am wondering if I need to raise the front wheel a little more. Even through I have a block under the front wheel I wonder if a little more front end rise would rotate me back a little. Have 3 hours tomorrow so will see how it goes!

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others, I'm less comfortable inside. Combination of less movement, constant pedaling (most outdoor rides include the occasional break for traffic lights, descents, etc), plus less airflow meaning everything down there gets a bit, erm, soggy. Pretty sure there is also a mental aspect, there's less distractions inside to take the mind off any discomfort.

Can mitigate somewhat with more fans, making a conscious effort to move around, etc. Ultimately I just don't ride over 2 hours indoors!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 4 hours is it for me outside. On the trainer, I'm suffering after 45 minutes or so, but can usually get through 90 minutes. I suspect it has to do with no coasting on the trainer and possibly less position shifting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outside is much better...….saddle on the trainer sucks after an hour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the opposite. No issues on the trainer, but adjustment needed outside.
Hence why I don't recommend all indoor training and getting outside for the long rides.

Too easy to sit up, reach for stuff, not have to balance on the trainer. Changes the game when you are on the road.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle comfort outside vs on the trainer? [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah - I have to think about position a bit more when inside - I really have to concentrate sitting on the ears of the saddle. Might be worth it to think about different saddles? <-- know that's a big commitment, but been thru an experiment this past season changing saddles and some are drastically more comfortable indoors - assume this translates to overall comfort outdoors as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle comfort outside vs on the trainer? [blehargh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swapped my ISM that came stock with my QR PR6 over the winter to Cobb 55 and rides well indoor and outdoor.
Bike seat makes a HUGE difference.
Also fit... I was way too far back and had the seat moved forward. Made it better, but the tipping point to best was changing the seat.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle comfort outside vs on the trainer? [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
I have the opposite. No issues on the trainer, but adjustment needed outside.
Hence why I don't recommend all indoor training and getting outside for the long rides.

Same here. I just picked up a fizik arione and works great inside for 2 hours, I do have to stand up every 20 minutes or so but whatever. I just did a 4 hour ride last weekend and my perineum hurt for 2 days.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle comfort outside vs on the trainer? [blehargh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been trying out different saddles, I guess I haven't found the right one yet. Currently on a Cobb 55, tried a randee before this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
take a look at inside ride e-motion rollers. They are rollers on a floating frame, so you you are not locked in place, can rock the bike, stand up, etc. You can get most of that on a rocking stationary trainer, but you don't realize how much you surge forward/back when riding and I think the float is the key to comfort on these rollers. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but I'm a big fan and have been using them for ~8 years. Yes, there is a short learning curve, but they are pretty idiot proof once you get used to them.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle comfort outside vs on the trainer? [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm trying out a specialized power saddle tonight, if that doesn't do it, it might be time for something like those rollers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, just to circle back , I did raise the front on my bike not the trainer and that seemed to help. Like you no issue outside, but on the trainer has been more uncomfortable. I have a Computrainer and I put it on one of those interlocking rubber mats. I put the front tire on the same mat and in the wheel block. What I did is I just added another part of the rubber mat to lift up the front by that amount (maybe an inch and a half). Rode 3 hours on Sunday and 90 minutes yesterday. Both seemed to be better. Maybe it is like that 0.5% on the treadmill. Anyways, I hope you find a solution. As an aside, on both my road bike and my tri bike I have ISM saddles and have ridden on them for about 8 years or so, replacing the tri one as wore it out.

Quote Reply
Re: Saddle comfort outside vs on the trainer? [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the same saddle in and out and do a majority of my training inside at O-dark-thirty in the am and in the winter I can do some 3-4 hour weekend endurance trainer rides. I find that I have to remind myself to stand up on the trainer but that's more because using the exact same muscles for a long time and not the saddle. The key I've found it to use good bibs inside. Most tend to buy cheap "workout" bibs for inside and save the nice stuff for outside but for me, that is the key. Nothing beats a good chammy when you are stuck in one place for a long time.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle comfort outside vs on the trainer? [ntnyln] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ntnyln wrote:
I use the same saddle in and out and do a majority of my training inside at O-dark-thirty in the am and in the winter I can do some 3-4 hour weekend endurance trainer rides. I find that I have to remind myself to stand up on the trainer but that's more because using the exact same muscles for a long time and not the saddle. The key I've found it to use good bibs inside. Most tend to buy cheap "workout" bibs for inside and save the nice stuff for outside but for me, that is the key. Nothing beats a good chammy when you are stuck in one place for a long time.
Any recommendations that aren't crazy expensive? I'm currently just wearing cheap amazon cycling shorts (https://www.amazon.com/...=1-1-spons&psc=1)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your movement relative to the saddle is very different on the trainer versus the road.
I'm fine for hours outside. Indoors, I'm getting uncomfortable by the hour mark when I haven't been doing much, maybe 80 mins when I'm well adapted to trainer time - that's with my tri saddle (ISM Attack). I haven't had my road bike on the trainer in a long time as I find the road saddle much worse. Outside I can ride for 8hrs without much discomfort. On the trainer it just feels wrong and if I remember correctly 30mins was already enough to start getting a little sore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lower you saddle, mine was not comfy inside vs out outside for 2 years, then I lowered my saddle.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with this. I have had great luck with Castelli and Hincapie. What I do is buy them on clearance. I still have a pair of Castelli shorts from 2004. Use them for shorter rides but still work. The cheap ones I bought around same time, like Performance Bike, etc all were destroyed or felt terrible. And, I machine wash them after every use and always hang dry. Worn out many but the better made ones are worth the money in comfort and value.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Castelli. I race in this years model and look for last years on sale. Still not inexpensive, but I don't have to worry about a significant contact point during those long hours on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle comfort outside vs on the trainer? [ntnyln] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ntnyln wrote:
I use Castelli. I race in this years model and look for last years on sale. Still not inexpensive, but I don't have to worry about a significant contact point during those long hours on the trainer.
Is this one any good?
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/...MToyOmNjQ2F0MTAwMzE1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't used that one in particular, but I've never been disappointed in any piece of Castelli clothing I've bought. It will be a significant upgrade to what you are wearing now.
Quote Reply