Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle Sore/Cyst Advice
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

I'm a female who has been dealing with a gradually growing saddle sore or cyst for a number of years. It is basically a very large lump that is hard in the center if you press on it.

It has gotten to the point where I've decided I need to have it removed. Does anyone have advice on what kind of doctor to see for this? Also, if anyone has suggestions of a specific doctor in the Boulder/Denver area that would be very much appreciated...

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Sore/Cyst Advice [anotherposter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A general surgeon should be able to handle it. I had to go to one to fix mine years ago. Sometimes they drain it and then fill the area with string and then later you pull the string out.

They didn’t give me much pain medicine and mine hurt like a mofo. Good luck.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Sore/Cyst Advice [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eeep! Interesting re: the string. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Sore/Cyst Advice [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, should have asked: was this just an in-office procedure? Or hospital/surgery center? And were you under or just local anesthetic?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i go to dermatologists for min. but i go within a month of them starting and they pop them and inject a steriod of some sort. they are gone after that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anotherposter wrote:
Actually, should have asked: was this just an in-office procedure? Or hospital/surgery center? And were you under or just local anesthetic?

Surgeon's office, local anesthetic.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watch Dr. Pimple Popper. No kidding. She's a dermatologist and does this sort of thing all the time with a local (like a dentist with Novocain).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sent you a message. I had a "cyclist nodule" removed this year and let's just say that it was an educational experience. And sometimes hilarious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In terms of who to see....really depends on where in your anatomy down there it actually is.
General surgeons are good for anything around the back end....if it is more in your female anatomy than your OB/GYN might be better placed....some plastic surgeons also take on this sort of work.
Just be careful.....depending on the size etc it might not be an easy or quick fix....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also had a saddle sore that would flare up, became a hard little knot when irritated; had a simple cortisone shot - dermo said this was preferred option vs removal
followup in 3 weeks, (this week) for possible second shot but one seems to have done job
my dermo is also a rider
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve found a few days of soaking in a warm bath with high concentration of epsom salt followed by applying an OTC triple antibiotic often does the trick.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Sore/Cyst Advice [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for all the responses! Had an OB/GYN look at it and it is definitely not related to female anatomy at all so that is good, I think...consulting with a general surgeon next week.

And definitely getting a new saddle and tweaking my position after all of this is done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prevention going forward: yes position on the bike, especially saddle height and angle, help. What appears to be underappreciated is keeping everything clean: wipe the saddle with bleach, get new bike shorts and wash them regularly, and soap and water down there before a ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Sore/Cyst Advice [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:
also had a saddle sore that would flare up, became a hard little knot when irritated; had a simple cortisone shot - dermo said this was preferred option vs removal
followup in 3 weeks, (this week) for possible second shot but one seems to have done job
my dermo is also a rider

Does anyone know the actual physiology of what these are? I don't think you can say it's actually a pimple because the saddle sores ive gotten are all the same area or same hair follicle, etc. Why does the same area get irritated even after months where it's not irritated? It seems to me like a hair follicle that gets bacteria deep inside and can't let it out, so the body just keeps pumping WBCs into it, which creates the lump. Anyone know the physiology of these???
Quote Reply