Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle Question
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone, I have a question that bugs me for some time regarding saddle style used in Time Trials.
After watching multiple Time Trials (UCI Pro), I've noticed most of teams are using regular saddles (aka TT saddles) that looks like regular flat saddle with 135sh mm width, nose and no central channel.
Am I missing something here or there is some special stuff going on ?
Why "nosed" saddle with no channel when there is nose-less and more modern saddles available?
(even from same manufacturer / sponsor) (e.g. Prologo, Specialized, Fizik etc)

Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Question [Xaero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personal preference.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, 90% of all teams using this types of saddles, while on other side (Tri) people use noseless 90% of the time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletes like to be different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are various reasons for the saddles the pro's use in TT's.

1. It depends on what their sponsor has available to use for TT's. If they don't have a specific TT saddle that the rider likes, they will use a regular road saddle.

2. It's rider preference. Some like to use the same saddle from their road bike, just because they like the feel.

3. UCI regulations may dictate a different saddle that what can be used in Triathlons. The tip of the saddle must be 5cm behind the center of the bottom bracket … or they can give up that 5cm and go to 0cm, but then they have to move their aero bars back which can cramp them up quite a bit … most prefer to keep their saddle 5cm back so they can get the 85 cm in front of the BB extension (they lose 10cm if they go with 0cm behind the BB). Thus, they can't move as far forward on TT bikes as they can on Tri due to the BB set back rule.

4. The UCI also has size regulations on saddles in the Pro Peloton, so if the saddle is too short, they can't use it (minimum length is 240mm)

Most of the time, it's just rider preference and the ride what's comfortable to them … other times, it's a compromise of fit, regulations and feel.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Triathletes like to be different.

It is different - much more time spent in the saddle.

The split nose supports the pelvis symmetrically, & I found that great for hip flexors and SI joint, although a bit painful at first. I just ordered another ISM for the training bike.

A wide nose TT style saddle seemed to have more dynamic options for positioning, fore<>aft etc.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply