Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle Height
Quote | Reply
Dan or Tom or anyone for that matter. Dan's fit desertation does not cover determining saddle height (either that or I missed it). Could you detail your proceedure for that particular fit function.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Height [Bernie S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We use two steps to determine the correct saddle height here in the store. This part of our fit process only works in person. First, we use a calculation called the "Hodges Method" (named for the exercise physiologist who invented it). In the most simple terms, this involves multiplying the rider's (ACCURATE!) inseam in metric units by.887. This will give you a strating point, but does not take into account several important variables such as crank length, pedal typ, shoe sole thickness or shoe size. Starting there, we put the customer on the bike on an indoor trainer then use a goniometer (sp?) to establish the correct leg extension. This is also the appropriate time to check the vertical orientation (offset) between the pelvis and the bottom bracket. The technique we developed is the result of working with several fit schools and works very well but is an on-going and developing process. Several of our guys will be attending Dan Empfield's FIST triathlon/road bike fitting clinic in February and in April as part of our on-going initiative to offer the most complete, on-going, expereinced fit services. Fit is so critical to bike selection and set-up, it is the single most important factor in bicycle performance.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Height [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, the "Hodges method" sounds just like the "LeMond method" with the .887 measurement. I assume it's the same thing? Everything I have read says to take this measurement in sock feet, back against a wall, feet a few inches apart and a book jammed up tight to the crotch. I am just curious as to why the sock feet. It seems to me that it might make more sense to take an inseam measurement while wearing your bike shoes and adjust accordingly dependent on sole thickness? What's your take on this?
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Height [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CerveloGuy, The only way measuring inseam w/cycling shoes on would work would be if the shoe and cleat were COMPLETELY flat from toe to heel, say 15mm. Of course that isn't reality. The shoes have arch and heel rise and the cleats are only located on the forward portion of the shoe. Too many variables not related to the actual distance would be present, throwing the measurement way out of whack.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Height [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy is right.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply